Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
...Nothing cool about tending a barbecue pit.
Yep, I cook on an offset "stick-burner," so I do have to regulate the fire in the firebox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
In the summer I do cook differently than in cooler times of the year. It's too hot and muggy to go outside and do any grilling. I usually eat things like pasta salad, tuna salad sandwiches, hoagies, fruits and raw veggies. I tend to make things like thai cucumber salad and beef salad in the summer. It doesn't take that long to broil a cut of steak for the beef salad and the lime "cooks" the beef further. I'm also likely to eat sushi in the summer (although I go to a restaurant for that).

Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I don't really so much worry about it.
If I want something I'm going to cook it.
I probably wouldn't go as far as preparing a full on thanksgiving dinner though..

If we didn't have AC that's a completely different story..

Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM

126,274 posts, read 19,048,524 times
No matter how hot it gets my place is in the kitchen

A staple in our home is spicy hot Indian food..fight the heat off with hot and spicy food.Zucchini /tomato curry dishes come in mind,lentil soups,fresh vegetable dishes,filled parathas with mango or lime pickles and cold homemade yogurt or tandoori chicken with basmati rice.
Sometimes I lean to my countries cuisine and we have potato salad with herring,lentil burgers or garlic chicken legs. We love our cold cucumber /mint soups,cold cherry soups with cream of wheat dumplings,Farmers Breakfast with a green salad and a dill yogurt sauce.For the kids I made often Strong Max with German bread,butter,ham slices,fried eggs and a dill pickle. Another great dish is fried potatoes with caraway seeds and pickled herring.
I love cooking..I beat the heat by joining the heat

Old 08-16-2016, 11:16 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Homemade yogurt for me. I make gallons of it a week. It makes you feel chilled inside after you eat it; some days that's all I want to eat.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Default Too hot to cook? (summer) What do you fix?

In summer I find it very hard to take extra daylight hours to cook, and I don't like to heat up the house (Tho I have an outdoor 'canning kitchen'), probably just an excuse NOT to cook.

Taco Salad is a favorite, but I could use some more ideas! and I dislike the time and counter space it takes for salad prep.

This week: (very unusual for me,,, Processed foods)
Grabbed Costco "power greens", rotisserie chicken, Shredded Mexican cheese mix, Powdered Cheese, tortilla chips, and some Picante and have had 10+ salads and plenty of stock remaining = <$1.00 serving

I need some more variety for the next 6 weeks of summer...

Salmon / Steelhead season is just around the corner, as is 'edible Landscape' (300+# of berries) from my 'ornamentals'

Of course we still make home-made Ice Cream every Sunday night. (Fresh Strawberries still this week, Raspberries are a tad late.)

Hot August Days,,, What to fix?

Ideas welcome

Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
We just avoid using the oven and use either the air fryer or counter top oven. No stews or other hot liquid meals. Could grab a rotisserie chicken at the store. Salads of course. Grilling outdoors is an option only it's too dang hot to cook out there.

Best option eat out and take in a movie and then come home to your ice cream.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Cold peanut noodles with snow peas, shredded carrots, scallions, etc.

Chicken salad on a bed of greens.

Raw vegetables with hummus, fresh fruit skewers.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
We have all kinds of meals that help on hot days: I like to make a pot of soup. I know, we think of soup as a winter meal, but it keeps the heat out of the kitchen and makes clean up easy. A nice salad with protein is another dish we like. Usually either a steak salad, or seafood and if we are having a normal 3 course meal which is most of the time: I keep it simple, still with a lot of salad and keep the carbs down. Always follow the meal with a nice juice bar or ice cream bar when it is really hot. Add, a great summer breakfast is a smoothy.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:45 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
This 'not heating up the kitchen' issue was one of the reasons I finally broke down and purchased an Instant Pot. And I'm very glad I did. (Wish I had one of these during the 25+ years I lived in phoenix!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink