U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 PM

18,114 posts, read 20,090,555 times

Advertisements

Chielgirl what is kohlrabi schnitzel please? We plant kohlrabi but eat it raw sliced up.

Ylisa my back did a mini spasm for yours having to pick up all those rocks and place them.

Vichel my big bread eater grew up & moved out I use to do a lot of bread baking not so much gets eaten here now. Iím even thinking of selling my bread machine to get my counter real estate back.

Burdell oh my so simple but yet so good on the BLT salad eh?

Molochai good to hear things are still improving with your leg.

Skbs do not ever let your parents take your girls again! Better than Disney World that is blasphemy! They must have taken them to a brain washing factory.

Case you have a great wonderful week also! Why no forks at that one place? They should cut their tomatoes in wedges then it would be easier to eat with your hands.

Skbs plan an easy menu of things that you can make quickly to fit your schedule. Now as you are reading this weekís dinner thread start jotting down menu ideas for next week. See you are ahead of the game and starting on an organized journey. I bet you wish I was your neighbor eh?

Kimba canít go wrong with pork chops anyway in my book! Has your dust bowl stopped in the valley yet?

Nomad see now that is why you have 10 gold stars you are so helpful to everyone! Those beets in skbsí honor is such a kindness you dear man.

Jillaceae hi from a fellow Hoosier and welcome to a wonderful thread! Hope you come back often.

HL you donít like tomatoes all together or just raw ones? Iím eating so many of them daily my mouth is starting to get sore. We love them.

NMS where is DH last I read in one of our threads he was snoring in the chair and didnít get the painting done.

NWV think we will have a RV full plus! I bet if you put some rabbit or squirrel in some noodles instead of chicken or beef skbs wouldnít know it reckon? I say that because I suspect my little missy friend is back to drinking coffee! Can ya believe it?

Kats I am so glad we donít have to do the labor intensive food prep our great-great grandparents did!

GloryB Iíll have to try that bake fry chili trick when we get some cooler weather to turn the oven on. My family would want nacho cheese sauce on them too.

Deckdoc I like your easy supper we eat a lot more hamburger sandwiches in the summer time too.

Amber good to see you! Do you have time to add the recipe for your tostadas with carne asada?

SCGuy it is a fine supper for sure compared to other stuff you post! Glad you had a good meal.

MWBW I just did 3 loads of missing in action towels DD brought down out of oldest DSís room. She switched rooms since he has his own apt now and his room here is bigger than hers was. I also reclaimed silverware, soup bowls and glasses. No food is to be taken upstairs so it is odd how all those dishes made it into his dresser drawers! He used the floor as dressers when he lived here.

gentle arts I know what you mean about taxing our energy but glad you had a good time with your guests!

Well I have been canning all afternoon into the evening so I didn't have a spare burner to make supper. So I put some Italian sausages in the crockpot then later on made some tomato sauce then poured that over the sausages to let it marry. It was legal Nomad both parites were single. When the last canner load went in it freed up 2 burners so I sauted some bell peppers & onions in some EVOO in a skillet on one of them. Used up the last of our kaiser rolls and we ate us some lip smacking good sandwiches tonight I tell ya! Insert one of these rubbing it's belly please.

I'm beat so I am headed to bed will talk to ya all later tomorrow we have an appt at 8am. Then I am taking the kids to the Y to swim because school starts Tues!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 AM

25,463 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Jaxson covered it all, nothing for me to add to her complete post!!!

However, I will postpone our Hog Roast, etc. until after Labor Day!!! And for anyone interested, I have a cookbook that some may be interested in: Cy Littlebee's Guide to Cooking Fish and Game.

MDC Nature Shop
this lovely little book has recipes for just about every wild game found in our great state. I posted about this in the Missouri forum ...Missouri's Favorite Foods, post #110 and then a blackberry cobbler recipe. Y'all might want to check this out sometime.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,342,891 times
I made a 9x13 pan of baked ziti. I'm the only one that's going to eat it, ultimately. Even though I had half the pan tonight, I split the other half into more servings. I have to go to the store and buy black olives and olive oil for a bread recipe I've got to go with it.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 AM

184,387 posts, read 75,091,342 times
The part I can still remember is the leftover chicken breasts are shredded and going to be added to some rice-a-roni...

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,551,371 times
Good morning all. You had quite the busy day here yesterday.

Well everything changed yesterday. We didn't work in the ditch because we had to put up a temp fence for the pavers. Gotta keep those cows out. Then we painted gutters and it was hot.

Food wise- I have been feeling really nauseous lately and Pepto isn't helping. Last night was pancakes and tonight will be pasta. Oatmeal for breakfast. Nothing seems to help. Yuk.

On a good note I saw my first 3 tomatoes turning orange/red. I should be eating lots of tomatoes very soon. Yay.

Ok all of you wonderful foodie people I need your help. Mike and I have been invited to a housewarming for a neighbor and I have to bring a covered dish. Please give me all of your covered dish ideas/recipes. It would be greatly appreciated.

Gotta go, the pavers will be here soon. Woo hoo. Dirt be gone.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 AM

21,914 posts, read 20,945,039 times
Lisa, do you have a crockpot? You could make some taco soup and then put it in a crockpot to stay warm during the party. I'll keep thinking this one over. I've been up since 4:30 AM and my mind is still not working.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,601,921 times
ROFLMAO Jax how did I know you would have something to say about the kids enjoying the Falls more than Disney? hahah so funny! you must remember they are 5 and 6 and they were just taken on a vacation where they were given EVERYTHING they wanted.... from candy to every activity they asked for! Lucky ducks! I have a lot to live up to when we take them to TN at the end of the month..... btw great idea about writing everything down from here and keeping a list.... I should get started! (and coffee isn't gonna keep me from realizng there is squirrel on my plate! eek!!!)

Cyn that Taco Soup sounds so good.... I love soups and I make a ton of them in the winter because we get so cold here. I would love a new recipe to try. Do you have a recipe on hand Mind posting it?

Lisa here is one that is SIMILAR to a Broc Souffle dish I make.... I put bread crumbs on top and cheese YUM!!!! Uncovered and it gets brown and crispy!!! DELICIOUS

BROCCOLI SOUFFLE
2 boxes broccoli spears, thawed
1 (16 oz.) brick Velveeta, cubed
1 med. onion, diced
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tbsp. flour
Salt and pepper to taste

In a covered baking dish alternate layers of broccoli, cheese and onions. Top with egg mixture. Sprinkle flour over top. Cover and cook in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Goes well with chicken or pork. ("Souffle" is a misnomer - this dish won't rise.)

TKramer My parents used to make a ton of pasta like that and freeze it up for different parts of the week or two weeks. I wonder if I should start doing that? Might make life easier on days I have Karate and such....

NWV thanks for postponing! SO looking forward to this exciting adventure!!! Never been to a pig roast! Something new for this sheltered woman! hahah

MWBW you are right! We do need to get away more often just the two of us... We do date nights but we tend to make PLANS with other people and we should really try and just keep it between us.... must remember that! We have a wedding this weekend and My folk's are taking the kids- but it won't be the same as in the IN BETWEEN we will be heading to my family reunion and hanging out with kids.... LOL.... and at the wedding hanging out with HIS famiily... sooooooo..... LOL..... hahah not really alone! hahah It was a great weekend!!!!

Kimba you just planned tonight's meal.... Pork Chops it is... pullin them out of the freezer now! THey are already marinated too- just need to defrost and be cooked! THAT I do when they are packaged- I freeze them that way in the marinade... I DO plan ahead SOMETIMES! I have au gratin potatoes and cuke/tomato salad.... broc or cauliflower (tbd)....

Ok... off to get dressed and go grocery shopping! Have a great morning!!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 AM

21,914 posts, read 20,945,039 times
No problem skbs..Amber gave this to me awhile back..

TACO SOUP
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, browned
1 onion, chopped
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 can chili beans, undrained
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
1 pkg. Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning Mix
1 1/2 cups water

Combine all ingredients in crock pot! Cook on low for 4 - 6 hours!
Top each bowl with shredded cheese and fritos!! ENJOY!!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,551,371 times
Thank you ladies. Both recipes sound great. I copied both to my files.

cyn- Yes I have a Crockpot. It might be too hot for soup here but that is a keeper for the winter. I was thinking about doing those little cocktail meatballs with the grape jelly and chili sauce. I haven't had those in years. Does anyone remember that recipe?

skbs- Do you think I can make that in a disposable pan so I don't have to bring it home?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,601,921 times
Dressed and ready to go! Kids are hyper.... is now the best time to take them shopping???? uhhhhh???? LOL....

Thanks Cyn!!!! That sounds awesome and EZ!!!!! hubby will love it...

Lisa it is the ONLY way to make it in my mind if you are TAKING it somewhere.... why bring a dish of your own???? LOL.... I am all about disposable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink