U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 PM

98,246 posts, read 24,758,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Tonight we have company coming. Chicken and yellow rice my daughter is bringing. Wife will add veggies as requested from our freezer and will make a garden salad. Got mangoes chilling for dessert.

Got to brush up on grilling as both my sons are going to be home for the Labor day weekend. Should have both daughters here so all eight grand children will be here for me to pester....Ages 6-20. It's going to be a riot. My mom has neighbors that do whole hogs....Need to talk to them about maybe doing one for us. Just a small one that we can use up over the 4 days we will all be together.
Wow Nomad!! That should be a joyous get together. I'd like to be there to help rip a ham of that oinker. I'll never forget a childhood trip to the Bahamas. My uncle and others went to a small island by boat. They killed a wild boar hog of some sort. Upon returning to Marsh Harbor island where they called home..it was tied to a tree. Hung over a huge cast iron pot of boiling water to burn the hair off. I still remember the smell. I'm sure you can avoid that part. Anyways, hope it's the time of your life and a great reunion.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,049,153 times
LOL..NWV, I just sent you a rep and forgot to sign it!

Thanks for sharing that great memory with us.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:36 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,750,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
LOL..NWV, I just sent you a rep and forgot to sign it!

Thanks for sharing that great memory with us.
NMS, you are more than welcome. Sometimes this is the great advantage of living in a rural area. so many different friends and so many ways to party and enjoy your friends. I used to have a B-Day party every year for my DH and would invite so many relatives, friends and neighbors. I borrowed a huge portable grill from a steel company that they used for employee get togethers. I then would begin the grilling of pork steaks, chicken halves, and later in the grilling process, ground sirloin patties and Kosher franks.

Of course one or two of the menfolk would decide that this was a man's job and 'offer' to take charge! I'd let them, no problem. Others would have brought side dishes and I tell you, this is what made the parties the best. All of the various concoctions. Everything from salads, a variety of potato dishes, mushrooms stuffed w/ things I'm still not sure of.

Of course we furnished all of the liquid refreshments. Soda, beer, many brands, wine, again many different from various local wineries, Sweet tea and lemonade. We played horseshoes, jarts (remember those?), also placed an innertube in the lake with a flag attached for water golf. Some would try their hand at hitting a golf ball into the middle of the inner tube!!!

Then the fisher people would walk around the shoreline of the lake and have a cool one and find one of the comfortable boulders that we had placed there over the years, in the hopes of catching a fish or two. Yes these were great times also. Still remember the different side dishes. Great times then also.

Last edited by Northwoods Voyager; 08-08-2009 at 03:01 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 02:58 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,507,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Tonight we have company coming. Chicken and yellow rice my daughter is bringing. Wife will add veggies as requested from our freezer and will make a garden salad. Got mangoes chilling for dessert.

Got to brush up on grilling as both my sons are going to be home for the Labor day weekend. Should have both daughters here so all eight grand children will be here for me to pester....Ages 6-20. It's going to be a riot. My mom has neighbors that do whole hogs....Need to talk to them about maybe doing one for us. Just a small one that we can use up over the 4 days we will all be together.
Ah, boy I envy you!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:06 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,507,919 times
Wow NWV--look at those wonderful memories. Isn't that what life is about?? Enjoy each part of life and then having all those great memories?? You sound like you enjoyed that time of your life soooo much. Thanks for sharing those memories. Brings tears to my eyes! Course I'm a silly emotional wreck lately!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
NMS, you are more than welcome. Sometimes this is the great advantage of living in a rural area. so many different friends and so many ways to party and enjoy your friends. I used to have a B-Day party every year for my DH and would invite so many relatives, friends and neighbors. I borrowed a huge portable grill from a steel company that they used for employee get togethers. I then would begin the grilling of pork steaks, chicken halves, and later in the grilling process, ground sirloin patties and Kosher franks.

Of course one or two of the menfolk would decide that this was a man's job and 'offer' to take charge! I'd let them, no problem. Others would have brought side dishes and I tell you, this is what made the parties the best. All of the various concoctions. Everything from salads, a variety of potato dishes, mushrooms stuffed w/ things I'm still not sure of.

Of course we furnished all of the liquid refreshments. Soda, beer, many brands, wine, again many different from various local wineries, Sweet tea and lemonade. We played horseshoes, jarts (remember those?), also placed an innertube in the lake with a flag attached for water golf. Some would try their hand at hitting a golf ball into the middle of the inner tube!!!

Then the fisher people would walk around the shoreline of the lake and have a cool one and find one of the comfortable boulders that we had placed there over the years, in the hopes of catching a fish or two. Yes these were great times also. Still remember the different side dishes. Great times then also.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:47 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,464,736 times
For dinner I'm going to have a seasoned chicken breast, garlic mashed potatoes, and seasoned rice!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:56 PM

33,999 posts, read 10,932,746 times
We had an absolutely wonderful day walking over the acres and acres of gardens at the Botanical Garden in Boothbay Harbor....that place is an absolute treasure.....it seems relatively new....but was very very busy......they have formal lawn gardens, fantasy gardens, an experiential taste, touch feel and smell garden that invites you to interact and is designed to be totally accessible....then paths and landscaped trails thru beautiful balsam woods to a meditation garden overlooking a placid and tranquil pond. The Meditation garden has beautiful stones quarried from all over Maine and arranged with ferns and mosses and woodland plants.....there is a huge granite water trougth and also a Japanese stone lantern.....there is a two mile path lined with white birch trees.....Today was a special day for children.....Fairy Village Day.....the kids build little houses out of natural materials for gnomes and fairies to occupy along one particularly lovely woodland path.....the houses built over past years remain and it is just enchanted and enchanting....little kids with wings and gossomer gowns prancing and pirouetting about t he grounds and a never ending bubble machine filling the sky with bubbles while story tellers entertained the kids.

They also have a very good upscale lunch cafe with really delicious sandwiches and salads and picnic tables set up outside to accomodate you......The flowers, the kids, the setting was picture perfect.

The traffic getting from Bath to Wiscassett was the only thing less than perfect....Rt 1 was bumper to bumper for 4 or 5 miles.....after that it cleared out pretty well.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,049,153 times
NWV, it still sounds wonderful.

Elston, so glad you came back to share your day with us. Thanks for the delightful description.

Dinner tonight consisted of beer and pretzels w/a honey mustard/vidalia onion dip. DH fell into a deep nap and is still in it, so I let him be. But I'm bored out of my skull! I'm restless and really don't feel like reading my book any more. Luckily, the storm seems to have gone by us, so I could log back on.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 PM

131,640 posts, read 42,507,252 times
Yellow rice was good for a change of pace. Veggie was home grown lima beans. Lettuce had gone bad so I had cucumber and onions in a nice dressing.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:30 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,778,787 times
Dinner tonight is shrimp and grits with a spicy bacon and lobster gravy.

Tons of banana fig muffins and chocolate banana espresso bread for dessert. (I went on a baking kick today )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink