U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:32 PM

131,622 posts, read 43,529,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Dinner tonight is shrimp and grits with a spicy bacon and lobster gravy.

Tons of banana fig muffins and chocolate banana espresso bread for dessert. (I went on a baking kick today )
Oh my you got me with the grits and spicy gravy...I perk up for grits and good gravy...

Old 08-08-2009, 06:42 PM

29,476 posts, read 18,568,383 times
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, a nice plate of Shrimp Etouffe makes me a happy camper

For those wh've asked I'm posting the link to the recipe I used:

Cajun Crawfish and Shrimp Etouffe - All Recipes

It was deeeeeelishus!

A few observations:

The roux may seem thin, I thought so, but found the finished product the perfect consistency to put over rice.

Absolutely one of those dishes best made a day ahead of time.

Goes real nice with cold beer too

Old 08-08-2009, 07:13 PM

16,106 posts, read 11,413,406 times
cyn doggone it girl.

How wonderful for you Nomad to have all your kids home this fall!

Memories oh what memories thanks for sharing and dusting off one I can share. Growing up we went camping all summer long at a campground with our horses! My grandpa and parents drove back & forth to their jobs from the campground while we kids stayed with gma. We had a state forest as our playground and ponies & horses to explore it all with. We came in for lunch then did campsite chores before supper. After supper dad or gpa would take us on the big trail rides with steep hills we weren't allowed on without an adult. They sponsored a monthly horse show to raise funds for the year end event.

Come labor day weekend it was time to close up the campground for the year with a huge hog roast dinner. The fellas dug deep pits in the ground then layed a layer of med sized rocks to make the floor. They would build a humugus bon fire on top of the rocks once they got heated up they threw on gunney sacks that were wet down with water full of pork on the inside, layer of chicken wire, another layer of rocks, layer of dirt, then build the big bon fire again. Men would take turns minding the fire pits all night long. They usually left that to the men that were drinkers and use to staying up later. Late afternoon the next day they would start unearthing the moist, smoky, tender, succulent pork from it's earthen prisons.

The women folks spent all day making the sides that went with this meat like baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw, applesauce, mac & cheese and tons of pies & cakes.

The kids spent the last day in the forrest exploring and daring each other to go across the boundaries none of us were brave enough to cross during the summer. Mighty good eats and a fantastic end to an awesome summer.

Everybody would meet up at the campgrounds in early Dec for a square dance and carry in meal. Santa always showed up with gifts for us youngins gosh I had amazing parts in my childhood reckon? Grandparents rock that is the kind of gma I want to be one day!

Boy that story makes my caesar salad I fixed for supper sound dull.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 PM

17,060 posts, read 12,258,170 times
Jaxson - what great memories!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 1,706,990 times
Good evening.

I had dinner out with my girlfriend that is visiting from NC. She is an old friend from high school; our parents were very friendly too.
I've always held her close to my heart, since she lost her DH at age 38 and had been through a lot, trying to raise her two kids.

We had a great time, with a lot of laughs and good food.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Jaxson I have a cookbook with the diagrams and all for cooking underground that way. Still want to try it. A night owl like me ought to be good at it. I need to check at the market tomorrow and see if they can still special order the suckling pigs...I think I can do one on the Weber for the kids...If not maybe mom's neighbors will lend a hand. They got the big wagon grills...In MO they cooked the big pigs for a week at low temp...talk about tender and flavorful...Them were the days.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,929,766 times
Still doing variations on risotto. Tonight's was lemony, herby, creamy...with chicken. Really delish!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM

16,106 posts, read 11,413,406 times
maciesmom it was the earlier conversation around cyn's table that jarred it loose in mine to share. Glad you enjoyed it too.

HL that is awesome to maintain the longevity of a friendship.

Nomad this saddle club fell apart when all the old farts as they were called died taking the secrets/process with them. Of course they couldn't search on the Internet at the time. Glad that info is ready to be searched for now. They could have very well cooked it for 2 nights I was little like under 3rd or 4th with the above memory. It lasted until I was I think a Jr. in high school.

Oh wouldn't it be so much fun for all us foodies to come together for a long weekend like that now? Let's see if we can talk YLisa in hosting since she is mostly central to all of us. She might let us on her compound if we are loaded down with canning supplies to help her can her first garden bounties.

I keep forgetting to mention to skbs hope you are having a charming time missy~

Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Jaxson all the years they cooked the very best from scratch with no microwave and no crock pot...Sure am glad for the cook book that details it as a wedding gift. After all these years one day I just got to do it. Once back to the mid west where lots of hard hickory wood is plentiful I just must try it...

I just had a bowl of mango, banana, and apple for my dessert.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,758,895 times
You all are killing me ! All I had was a pre-made sandwich from a gas station.
To make up for such a meager meal we'll drive down to "The Electric City" tomorrow for a large meal of prefab items at a chain restaurant !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink