Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,768 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe's pizza with anchovies we put on it.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:19 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
Ahhhhhh we just walked in and are sitting down for a little chill out! I had a wonderful afternoon! It really was relaxing and so very nice to just be laid back and chit chat with each other. We finished up around the house about 1ish and then headed out for a long drive out to:

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - HOME for a bit of window shopping and an early dinner.... which turned out to be not so early.... did actual shopping and found a really great dress Hubby told me I HAD to buy! LOL.... so of course I did.... Checked out my favorite local illustrator/artist/what ever you want to call her merchandise Patience Brewster I am in love with her illustrations and actually will buy her cards and frame them- I have several in Chatterbox's room... they are so sweet.....

Had dinner at the Bluewater Grill... Started with "Goat Cheese and Tomato Fondue" which was really a log of goat cheese on a "pond" of tomato sauce that had been dribbed with balsamic vin and pine nuts had been tossed on.... very nice presentation and quite delicious.... served with slices of crispy bread.... I ordered Veggetable Flatbread with zucchini, Port mushrooms, some cheese I am not sure of and hummus and for a side it was roasted veggies... Hubby got Fish tacos with black beans an rice.... We washed it down with a few glasses of Sangria Sat outside along the lake. It was a very long and romantic meal.... loved it! I think it was even better than yesterday's- though Hubby voted Pomodoro's as better (nah- tonight's was! LOL)...

Took the longer way home and hit the Bass Pro Shop... window shopped for a new car and then took the drive back home. The dogs are super psyched to see us- Tink especially and we are just enjoying the quiet of the house.

OH and the girls are having a blast! Talked with them and they are really enjoying their trip away with their grandparents- being spoiled rotten and can't decide what is their favorite part as EVERYTHING is thier favorite!!!! LOL..... glad they are having such fun....

Ok.... getting off to sip my wine.... enjoy your night!!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Jaxson I have a cookbook with the diagrams and all for cooking underground that way. Still want to try it. A night owl like me ought to be good at it. I need to check at the market tomorrow and see if they can still special order the suckling pigs...I think I can do one on the Weber for the kids...If not maybe mom's neighbors will lend a hand. They got the big wagon grills...In MO they cooked the big pigs for a week at low temp...talk about tender and flavorful...Them were the days.
in hawaii they took the pig and wrapped in banana leaves~ dug a hole in the sand~started a big fire and buried the pig on the fire. 24 hours and it was luau time! Great time for a young sailor!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
in hawaii they took the pig and wrapped in banana leaves~ dug a hole in the sand~started a big fire and buried the pig on the fire. 24 hours and it was luau time! Great time for a young sailor!
I have never actually known about the luau before as to how and what just heard the term...Sounds like might be another way to learn to cook. I got banana leaves a plenty down here.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,094 times
I don't want to cook tonight, shame on me, so I bought egg rolls and other things for dinner.

Have a nice one!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
Oh, so much to catch up with tonight, and for a change I'm only half brain-dead (instead of completely) and can actually read most of what's gone on at the table in the past 24 hours!

Nice new spot you've got for us, Cyn - feels just like the old one, just some new placemats on the table and is that a new vase of flowers I see? Must have been Elston who brought them back from his wonderful road trip today.

Cyn, I'm so sorry to hear that plans with family changed after all today; I still hope that things there will alter down the road, but I know it's hard to wait. Sending hugs, strength and peace to you.

Jaxson and NWV, you both took me on a little mini-vacation from my arm chair with your wonderful descriptions of those happy times in your memories; thank you for that, I really need the break. I love the way the conversation around this table uses food as the focal point to take us on excursions that way.

Nomad, I positively wriggled with delight when I read about your joyful family gathering coming up this Labor Day weekend - after all that your family has been through this past year, what a feast of family, love and food that will be! Enjoy, dear friend, enjoy; goodness knows that you all deserve it.

And skbs, I am reveling in vicarious excitement with you on your wonderful R&R weekend with your beloved! Those are marriage-savers (and sanity-savers) and we all need that kind of just-us-two kind of time once in a while. Savor every golden moment, my dear!

I only spent about seven hours at the office today, so I feel like a real slacker, but seven hours without the phone ringing, the email inbox dinging, and half the office asking me goofball questions is the equivalent of a twelve-hour day during the week, so I got a lot done anyway. And we're on the home stretch at last: a week from now, we'll have the annual report in hand and July's financials put to bed. And I've got plans for a nap marathon to celebrate.

Spouse got a lot done while I was wrestling with income statements and balance sheet account reconciliations. I came home to find a freshly mopped kitchen floor, a spotless stove (in our house, that's a real accomplishment!) and pork country ribs grilling gently on a hot fire in the back yard. Black bean salsa/salad - not sure which you'd call it, but I called it good - was the accompaniment, and a mighty tasty supper it was indeed.

Peace and health to all at this table this evening, a restful sleep with sweet dreams, and a joyful awakening on the morrow.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:13 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,727,894 times
I had half a Spicy Itaian sub from Subway tonight for dinner.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
Tonight's dinner was salmon on the grill...it was on sale and looked good...but it wasn't. Disappointing. But the jasmine rice and fresh garden veggies were good.

Does rice freeze well? I made an extra batch to make fried rice with, and right now it is in the fridge...but I'm not feeling it now, and want to wait.

Have no idea what to make tomorrow. Other than corn. I bought some at a stand, and my neighbors brought me some too, so I have it coming out of my ears!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:14 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Jaxson all the years they cooked the very best from scratch with no microwave and no crock pot...Sure am glad for the cook book that details it as a wedding gift. After all these years one day I just got to do it. Once back to the mid west where lots of hard hickory wood is plentiful I just must try it...
I just had a bowl of mango, banana, and apple for my dessert.
Hickory wood is what they used too! One older lady up there would make us cookies all summer if we would go pick up hickory nuts for her. Hard to find around Indiana now in my parts.

skbs glad you are getting recharged girlie woo hoo!

DFWgal at least you got your tummy full right?

MWBW must be a picture memory minds tonight Coastal Maine took me on trip watching sailboats out in the ocean as she was describing her view in the weather thread. Isn't it fun to go on a trip and not even leave your home? Love it. Glad you were only half brain dead to enjoy the stories tonight at the table.

SCGuy that is one of my favorites from subway.

lolagranola I pour my leftover rice onto a cookie sheet flattened out then put in the freezer. Once frozen then put it in a storage container of your choice it won't be all clumped together this way.

Heading to bed folks after church I'll start canning when the first load is coming up to pressure I will try to check in on ya all. Night!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:22 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
Man I know I am tired I forgot 2 things!

#1 Congrats Nomad on star #10 to a wonderful guy all the way around to a lot of us on C-D. You're wonderful! http://www.city-data.com/forum/commu...old-stars.html

#2 rickers you just answered my family's question when we are at a gas station by a cooler full of those sandwiches. "Who would eat those premade up God only knows when sandwiches"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink