U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM
bjh
Status: "Stored at 72 degrees until further notice" (set 14 days ago)

20,159 posts, read 11,571,045 times
We may go out tonight. I'm thinking seafood, but we'll see.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 PM

914 posts, read 2,306,827 times
Friday tradition in our house is that boyfriend makes something asian. Tonight is Japanese ginger pork. I am looking forward to it-- he has made some amazing things on Fridays past!

I am very excited for dinner tomorrow: I am making my own chili! For the past few months I have been trying out different chili recipes (I think I've made 8 different ones recently) in order to research designing my own. Tomorrow is my first try at my own chili recipe!

Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,348,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Tonight we start our mediterranean meals. We are having Stuffed Squid and Fennel Salad w/ Roasted Walnuts in a Lemon Vinaigrette.

Today's lunch was a Oranges and Black-Olive Salad, Moroccan Style. It's actually prety good.

4 naval oranges, peeled pith and pits removed and sectioned
1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup black olives, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sheery vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pepper and salt

In a serving bowl mix and toss all ingredients. Refrigerate. Serves 4-6

WOW, both of those dishes sound super-yummy!!!

Quote:
Oh wow! I hate hate hate to make cupcakes! Sam's club has the most beautiful cupcakes - and they are very well priced too
yeah...I want to be origonal...I don't like making cupcakes...but these are pistacchio, and they aren't looking pretty so the rest of them might be just cake! But they sure are yummy!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 PM

19,023 posts, read 13,438,110 times
Oops--no hot dogs tonight---hamburgers instead. Still great though. Hot dogs tomorrow night!
Have a great evening everyone. I am really tired and in need of a little R&R. Tomorrow is yet another day. More food and more sharing...see you here!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 PM

1,122 posts, read 640,864 times
Family is on their own....not feeling well tonight. Possibly some Mexi Take out.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM

5,555 posts, read 4,048,078 times
Had Chinese Lo Mein takeout tonight. Hope you feel better Shellz.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 PM

28,612 posts, read 17,661,827 times
Leftovers tonight, short ribs, mashed spuds, caraway carrots, and chocolate sorbet.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:23 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,351,687 times
I'm feeling full and relaxed, happy, content - no, make that downright smug. It's Friday. The audited financials for last fiscal year were delivered today. I dumped about 80 lbs of paper in the shredder bin this afternoon. And I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow and deal with hundreds of spoiled brats whining about their apartments!

Ok, possibly a little background about that final comment is justified here. You see, I live in a college town. It's a fine university, the flagship campus of the UW system, and there is a surprisingly cordial relationship between town and gown here, unlike many college towns. BUT....

Some decades ago, in what was undoubtedly a fit of collective insanity, all of the campus-area landlords here got together and decided that every lease for every rental property within three miles of campus would begin on August 15 and end on August 14.

This may seem like a good idea at first glance. However, in reality, what it means is that on the night of August 14, every curb for blocks and blocks downtown is lined with huge mounds of discarded furniture, clothing and garbage. And there are roughly 40,000 homeless college students sleeping on lawns, porches, in U-Hauls and on friends' sofas, awaiting the moment on the 15th when they can pick up the key to their new apartment.

And then, on the 15th, those 40,000 college students descend on the property management offices, creating lines that go for blocks, to pick up the keys to the roughly 15,000 apartments that were vacated 12 hours earlier.

Now, a side note. How many of you have teenage or college-age offspring or nieces or nephews? Probably a fair number of you. How well do they clean? Do they know how to mop a floor? Scrub a toilet? Clean an oven? Scour a sink? Wipe the dust off blinds and windowsills? So perhaps you can get some faint inkling of what the majority of those 15,000 freshly-vacated apartments look like.

So, we have roughly 40,000 homeless college kids and 15,000 apartments that have been trashed to a greater or lesser degree (mostly greater). And EVERY SINGLE ONE of those college kids expects that his or her new apartment will be pristine, cleansed, freshly painted, fully repaired, and in tip-top move-in condition at 8:00 a.m. on August 15.

Do you begin to see where I'm going here?

I spent five of the longest years of my life working for one of those campus-area landlords. On August 14, every person in the company was expected to put in 18 to 20 hours cleaning apartments. And on August 15, I had to show up bright and early in my best dress-for-success suit to greet all the incoming tenants and hand them their keys. And then 30 minutes later, to stand there with a smile on my face while they screamed at me because their new apartment was in roughly the same condition that they left their old one in.

Oh, yes, I'm smug tonight. Because tomorrow morning, I'll be sleeping in, enjoying the sensation of relaxing after finishing a challenging job well done, while all those other poor sods who still work for my old employer are getting screamed at.

Oops, the thread topic... sorry, got carried away there for a bit. Supper tonight was Burmese beef made with tomatoes from the garden, atop rice, with a lovely red wine as an accompaniment. And very tasty it was, too.

And now I'll mosey on out to the kitchen and wash up the dishes, then I'll putter around the kitchen for a bit and I'll move the laundry around, and finally I'll go hit the sheets for a good solid sleep. Goodnight, all, and happy weekend!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 PM

43,862 posts, read 26,316,351 times
Had the kids are here so I picked up a couple of Little Cesar's $5 pizzas.
Again.
It is hard for me to get creative on the way home from work.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 PM

32,664 posts, read 18,393,471 times
Omg my big butt didn't eat tonight!!! Was too busy with my son's camp closing program! Got any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink