U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 04:19 PM

3,533 posts, read 11,211,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have still never tried this--shepards pie--but have heard so many good things about it. I suppose my time is coming soon. Would you mind sharing your recipe??
the simplest way i have always made it is with scrambled hamburger with brown gravy , mashed potatoes and corn. layer hambuger in 9x9 baking pan on top of that put the corn and then top it off with mashed taters. then bake on 350 for about 20 minutes. there you are. ENJOY

Old 08-15-2009, 04:57 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,512,118 times
Tonight BBQ beef sandwitches, corn on the cob, cole slaw~ maybe watermelon for desert~ as soon as Obamas town hall meeting coverage is complete!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:13 PM

180,737 posts, read 74,598,461 times
After a convo on the phone with wife she said she might fix beanie weenies. Yuck. I didn't tell her that. Maybe I can persuade her to make cold pork and bean salad instead. We can survive well on simple tonight.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,691,535 times
Here's my shepherd's pie recipe, Cyn:

brown hamburger w/chopped onion, S&P. Drain, put in the bottom of a casserole dish. Cover that with one can creamed corn, one can "regular" corn (this one drained), then top with mashed potatoes (your favorite recipe. Make peaks with the potatoes. You can throw on some butter, just a little, and some paprika. Bake at 350 till hot, bubbly and the peaks should be a little browned. Yum. Simple, but good.

Oh, I forgot! DH and I had a sub at the mall this afternoon. He wasn't hungry, so I finished up the last of the veggie Boboli pizza.

Have a wonderful night, all.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:51 PM

113,994 posts, read 52,028,667 times
Plans changed last minute. Ham and egg with Swiss cheese grilled sandwich..

Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,423,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
After a convo on the phone with wife she said she might fix beanie weenies. Yuck. I didn't tell her that. Maybe I can persuade her to make cold pork and bean salad instead. We can survive well on simple tonight.
Nomad you are a good hubby! Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:19 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,831,374 times
Oh, what a lovely feeling it is to arrive at Saturday evening without having gone in to - or even thought about - work all day long! It's been so long since I had a weekend like this, and it feels so amazingly good.

We slept luxuriously late - at least 8:30, maybe a bit after - then got up and met our daughter at the cafe down on Atwood. Had a wonderful and leisurely breakfast together, then we all went downtown to cruise around the Capitol Square at the Farmers' Market. Mid-August is the height of summer's bounty at the Market, and we were all heavy-laden with corn on the cob, squash, cherries, cauliflower, green beans, scallions, beets, melon, maple syrup and free-range beef and pork by the time we returned home again.

Then I got to do yard work! Ok, that sounds really lame, I know. But it has been weeks and weeks since I had time to do anything at all in the yard, and sometimes you just need to get your hands dirty. While the spouse mowed, I wore myself out edging and chopping back the grass that had encroached over the edge of the driveway and front walk, and boy, does it look better now. The weedy garden will have to wait until we get a good soaking rainstorm, as I have learned the hard way that there's no point in trying to pull weeds from rock-hard soil, but at least the edges of the lawn are neat again. And that'll make shoveling snow this winter a lot easier.

Supper tonight was a feast of the summer's bounty: porterhouse steaks (from Pec Valley Farm's stand at the Market this morning) on the grill, heavenly sweet bi-color corn on the cob (from the Ehr Family Farm's stand at the Market this morning), French green beans (from last week's CSA box), and platter of sliced tomatoes (from the garden this afternoon) and cukes (from the CSA box) drizzled with olive oil and sherry vinegar. Oh, and a Lake Louie Warp Speed Scotch Ale to wash it all down.

I am a supremely well-fed and contented BookWorm this evening. And I still have one more glorious, long, sunny day in which I do NOT have to go to work to look forward to!

Have a wonderful evening, all, and a beautiful Sunday. See you tomorrow!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 PM

2,373 posts, read 5,213,903 times
Tonight we are having Spinach-Mediteranean Style, Salmon and Olive Tart and Strawberry soup w/raspberries for dessert.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:19 PM

180,737 posts, read 74,598,461 times
Wife finally got home and did agree to pork and bean salad like her mom used to make. I had that and a tomato wedged up. Green tea for the mixer.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:22 PM

9,718 posts, read 5,623,575 times
Fired up the grill.....bbq chicken, broccoli and macaroni salad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink