U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 AM

21,842 posts, read 20,761,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs View Post
sweet & sour pork & fried rice
Do you make your own sweet & sour pork?? If so, would you mind sharing this recipe? I've always wanted to make it but the recipes always seem so darned involved.....

Good Sunday morning all my foodie friends.

MWBW, looks like you have yet another faithful follower! Your writing seems to memorize us all! It takes us away from our everyday everything and let's us enjoy a little time in your world! Thanks!

Nomad, happy to hear you were able to find something that filled and pleased you both for dinner!

For everyone else--I never would think of so many of these dinner ideas without you all planting the seed--Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

Dinner tonight will be chicken that has been marinated in soy sauce and then baked. I'll make good old mashed potatoes and some corn on the side with our usual sliced tomatoes and water melon.
Have a great Sunday!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 08-16-2009 at 06:11 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 05:57 AM

33,954 posts, read 42,146,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I love red flannel hash.....I think everyone probably has a slightly different version.....I make it sometimes but not as tradionally as my Dad did.

It is a meal designed to use up the remains of a New England Boiled Dinner....so basically you have corned beef, boiled potatoes, boiled carrots, some yellow turnip, and some cabbage..(but you dont want too much juice with that cabbage...perhaps some boiled onion .... and for red flannel hash Some boiled beets!!!!!

This all needs to be minced finely, Dad used a big wooden bowl that had been his mother's to chop it up with a round blade chopping knife with a wooden handle...the bowl had the stains of the years . Sometimes Mom would put it all thru the old crank style meat grinder....if she was making it .... instead of chopping.

Then a black cast iron fry pan.... was heated up and some salt pork rendered for some grease....and the chopped hash is put in the pan....and flattened out to cover the bottom of the pan.....as it heats it will bubble a bit and need some tending to keep it from scorching on the bottom....Dad would then use a spatula to turn it the best he could....it doesnt flip like a pancake by anymeans.....and then put the pan in a hot oven to bake and heat through.....

In our house it was often served for a Sunday night supper ..... with fried eggs and bread and butter and chow chow relish and yes Nomad....ketchup.

This isnt a real recipe it is more a memory.....altho I do my own version from time to time.

here's a link to a real recipe for hash.....New England, Yankee, Red Flannel Hash Recipe
Oh, Elston, you take me back. We also had one of those crank grinders for hash. I had it for years, but don't know what happened to it. The only reason we never eat hash is that there are never any corned beef leftovers around here.
I think I'll make it a point to cook double corned beef next time.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:46 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,685,307 times
G'morning, all.

WEll, it's Sunday, so hubby's off to B&N. Don't know whether he'll be home for dinner or what we'll have whether he's here or not. Guess it'll just be a catch as catch can day.

Lots of little things to do today, so I guess I should go do them so I can justify my trip to the pool!

Enjoy, all.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,543,499 times
Well, the wedding went pretty well! No serious drama at all... just under the breath and under the table.... LOL.... it was actually quite nice. We had a good time and I have ton of pics... Hope you all had a great Saturday!

In terms of food for the wedding.... well... it was a buffet... and it was alright. I really could have just taken my plate to the salad bowl and loaded THATup and it would have made me the happiest.... HAHAH but I think you all pretty much knowTHAT by now. They had Italian Sausage and I risked a headache and ate that--- after munching on pepperoni (oops) and sharp chedder cheese.... and drinking two glasses of wine.... AAHHH it was a wedding and I could be bad!!!! and yes I did head home with a bit of a headache but it was worth the fun. Sometimes ya just have to ignore the rules and eat what ya want....

Have another Family get together today but it is for MY side of the family !!!! I am very excited to see everyone. I missed the family reunion yesterday. I was bummed out. So today is another big day and we are going out to celebrate. ALL the relatives.... I think there will be about 50 or 60+ of us.... I will report back on the food later... have a wonderful Sunday! Hope it is cheerful....

Old 08-16-2009, 07:41 AM

9,718 posts, read 5,620,836 times
Morning foodies

I'm up early so I think I'll start making my meatballs and gravy for tonight's dinner.

Have a great day and enjoy your dinner everyone

Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,281,004 times
Spaghetti

Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,685,307 times
Oooo...'sketti sounds good, bella and joco. I've been craving it, but it'll have to wait 'till the kitchen's done. Bummer.

Glad you had fun, skbs.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:10 AM

180,371 posts, read 74,552,587 times
Looking like hot dogs on the George Forman...

Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 AM

3,533 posts, read 11,208,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Looking like hot dogs on the George Forman...
hey never tried that before but i'll have to give it a try. joco, spaghetti sounds good.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 AM

5,554 posts, read 5,836,173 times
Morning everyone!

Say, wanted to share a marinade that I think is one, if not the best, for barbequed chicken.

Very simple:
Soy sauce and hoisin sauce for 1/2 hour before grilling. It's very good! Equal parts or maybe a little more soy sauce - doesn't really matter. Have a great Sunday!

Coincidentally, I am meeting a group at an East Indian restaurant. Two days in a row and probably not again for at least six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink