U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 03:22 PM

25,463 posts, read 11,970,211 times

Advertisements

Hog roast at my place?? Lets see, have to check my calender and choose a place by the lake for this. I still have some of my lanterns and Tiki lights. Plenty of chairs and tables. Now I have to figure how deep to dig the pit for the guest of honour.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM

183,825 posts, read 74,960,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Hog roast at my place?? Lets see, have to check my calender and choose a place by the lake for this. I still have some of my lanterns and Tiki lights. Plenty of chairs and tables. Now I have to figure how deep to dig the pit for the guest of honour.
You pick a date and we will be there.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Yes I do make it myself!

You see, when my boyfriend and I moved in together, neither of us had really cooked before. (Personally, I hate cooking for just myself.) So we got a bunch of pre-fab stuff and "heated" dinner every night. The result was that we got fat! (I blame it on breaded fish and fries from Trader Joe's.) So for the last few years we have made everything from scratch. This means we spend a whole lot of time in the kitchen, but it also means we are both much healthier and have each gotten to be pretty good cooks!
Jill, I make a mean lentil soup but with ham. WOuld you mind sharing your recipe, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You pick a date and we will be there.
Yep, I'm ready, fork in hand.

DH is still away, so I made a quick Birdseye Voila - beef lomein. It was pretty good. One frying pan, one bowl, one fork. Loved that part.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:32 PM

25,463 posts, read 11,970,211 times
Ok, Nomad.....How about next Sunday????? I'll have the pit dug by then, lights ready, chairs and tables in place. The wash tubs ready for the ice and bottled drinks. Horseshoes, Jarts, washers, and other games ready. You have played 'washers' haven't you? Have to get busy soon for this. May even add some venison, quail, pheasant, rabbit and squirrel to the menu. Might as well make it an Ozarkian get together. I know a great band that played at a wine tasting party a few weeks ago. Could have them show up!
How's this all sound to y'all???

Old 08-09-2009, 03:34 PM

I got to wait until after Labor Day....Kids on the way here soon and got to get ready....

Old 08-09-2009, 03:35 PM

914 posts, read 3,809,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Jill, I make a mean lentil soup but with ham. WOuld you mind sharing your recipe, please?
. . . maybe. It is a new recipe that I am trying out. If it turns out, then, yes, I will gladly share it! I will post it in the lentil recipe thread I was just looking at!

Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM

21,902 posts, read 20,891,721 times
Enjoy this time Nomad! It's so special. Time enjoying your kids!! I would be getting ready yesterday if I thought my kids were coming!

Old 08-09-2009, 03:50 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,585,891 times
Oh boy! I will come NWV if you postpone until after Labor Day! I am booked solid until then.... I can't believe it but every weekend is crazy from here on out.... rehearsal dinner, wedding AND family reunion on same day, uncle's 60th wedding anniversary, THEN we go on our family week long vacation....booked SOLID I tell ya... THEN SCHOOL starts.... boy oh boy... but I would love the break to come visit AND EAT BEETS!!!!! Watch ya cook a pig in a hole!!! Play a ton of games!!!! I think I might pass on the squirrel though.... heheh.....

Nomad... enjoy the family time!!!! So exciting...... I know being the "KID" they like visitng/spending the time as much as you do.....

Jill the recipe would be great and I totally get ya on the fresh vs ready made..... I also feel better when I cook from scratch!

NMS so jealous your Hubby cooks so well.... My hubby knows how to cook with one finger The DIALING finger hehehe that is fine.... still means I get the night off once in a while.....

Old 08-09-2009, 04:02 PM

I have dispatched my supper. I feel cheated. Wife only let me have two beets. Can't wait to grow my own again and put 'em up by the quart. Pints jars just don't hold enough...

NWV I think I can round up a bundle of banana leaves nice and fresh if you want to do a luau...?

Old 08-09-2009, 04:21 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,585,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I have dispatched my supper. I feel cheated. Wife only let me have two beets. Can't wait to grow my own again and put 'em up by the quart. Pints jars just don't hold enough...

NWV I think I can round up a bundle of banana leaves nice and fresh if you want to do a luau...?
ONLY TWO??? Now that is officially Cruel....

So, I have to share my new coffee finding! Sshhhhh it's a secret.... Jax the coffee police will on my case if she hears about this.... keep it on the down low...LOL.... I heard something that I HAD to try today!!! Putting ground Cinnamon in with the coffee grounds prior to brewing! Gives the coffee a fabulous flavor!!!! Even if you don't have a flavored coffee it makes it taste flavored.... we had a caramel coffee in the house but we just tried it and it is SOOOOO amazing!!!!!!! But hush hush.... don't tell Jax.... shhhhhhhhhh..... she isn't to know.... nope... don't let her know I was drinkin' coffee.... in one ear out the other (right Jax?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink