U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,569,597 times

Advertisements

I always leave the skin on- on any potato I eat hot or cold. As my eating habits vary I figure the more vitamins I can get the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 PM

38,554 posts, read 18,297,503 times
Default How Clean is Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I always leave the skin on- on any potato I eat hot or cold. As my eating habits vary I figure the more vitamins I can get the better.
I pretty much figure by the time a potato is baked.....unless there is mud and dirt on the potato....no pathogen survives the baking process.

When I worked in a resturant I prepped the taters for baking.....they came out of the bag pre washed....I just pressure hosed em down...and then painted them with oil and baked them.....they were clean.

at home I sometimes compulse and scrub them with a scrubbie....until most of the skin is gone....but to tell the truth....potatoes are pretty clean by the time you buy them....and certainly after you bake or boil them, they are clean. I feel much safer with my potatoes then with a rare or med rare hamburger or steak.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,011,315 times
Long ago I visited a commune where a friend lived. While there we had lunch which included some unusual baked potatoes. Took ordinary spuds and cut them in half and placed them cut side down, in cast iron frying pans with plenty of melted butter. These pans then went into a hot oven to bake. They were delicious! I made them a couple of times at home, but only before the oven was to be cleaned. The spatter from the pans really made a mess.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Long ago I visited a commune where a friend lived. While there we had lunch which included some unusual baked potatoes. Took ordinary spuds and cut them in half and placed them cut side down, in cast iron frying pans with plenty of melted butter. These pans then went into a hot oven to bake. They were delicious! I made them a couple of times at home, but only before the oven was to be cleaned. The spatter from the pans really made a mess.
I wonder if you could cut down on the splatter by reducing the amount of butter and maybe covering or shielding the pan with a loose piece of foil.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,011,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I wonder if you could cut down on the splatter by reducing the amount of butter and maybe covering or shielding the pan with a loose piece of foil.
Well maybe reducing the butter would help, not too much as it makes the cut end of the potato browned and buttery - the best part. As for the foil I never thought of that I guess the hippies didn't have any They lived in a very rural area and ate from their small farm. That's the first place I ever saw brussels sprouts growing. This was back in the mid-70's.

Thanks for the foil suggestion - I'm going to try it. Got two large cast iron pans

Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Well maybe reducing the butter would help, not too much as it makes the cut end of the potato browned and buttery - the best part. As for the foil I never thought of that I guess the hippies didn't have any They lived in a very rural area and ate from their small farm. That's the first place I ever saw brussels sprouts growing. This was back in the mid-70's.

Thanks for the foil suggestion - I'm going to try it. Got two large cast iron pans
the foil would have to be loose like a shield...not tight...or it would steam the taters. I cant think about running my oven right now but will think about it this fall......which could be in a couple of weeks..

Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 PM

23,764 posts, read 22,119,038 times
If you have a mandolin slice the spud raw quarter inch thick skin on or off... in a cast iron skillet. Slow cook with Polish sausage ~ Italian sausage ~ smoked sausage or all three kinds together and garlic & onion salt and pepper.. and any other spice you want to throw in the mix ( DARK BEER)... leave the sausage in short links 4-6 inch... cook till done... takes about hour ...... slow cook... place the cast iron lid on the skillet ajar to vent steam.... slow and long... works great on a open camp fire... with the smoke.... then eat with a spicy brown mustard mixed with the hot oriental mustard to taste... and a cold beer dark or light.... not "Lite"

Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 AM

23,764 posts, read 22,119,038 times
I would say russets would work.... I would cut them in half. They have a tendency to jump out of skillets because their so small... As above you could slice the sausage into thin~thick slices.

Back in the 60's they sold 10-12 aluminum spikes to stick in the spud to speed up baking time. I would suggest stainless steel spikes if you can find them.

If you went to a welding supply and look for stainless steel rod for welding. It comes in 36" length find a wire that's about the size or smaller than a #2 pencil then cut it with a abrasive wheel on a dremel tool. Wash now you have spikes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink