Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times

Advertisements

So, around midnight last night I get a call from my DH's friend. He bagged a young elk and wanted to know how to remove that game taste.

Any suggestions? I prefer to do my hunting at the local grocer so i'm clueless.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
I know this isn't what you're asking but, I find it curious that he would hunt something he sort of doesn't want to eat.

I've had elk and liked it just fine - as I recall, I liked it better than most venison I've had even though there was something similar. People always say that you 'have to' cook venison with lots of onion (and maybe wine, too?) for it to taste good. Maybe that goes for elk also and he could search for venison recipes? My favorite venison has been in sausage or chili.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I know this isn't what you're asking but, I find it curious that he would hunt something he sort of doesn't want to eat.

I've had elk and liked it just fine - as I recall, I liked it better than most venison I've had even though there was something similar. People always say that you 'have to' cook venison with lots of onion (and maybe wine, too?) for it to taste good. Maybe that goes for elk also and he could search for venison recipes? My favorite venison has been in sausage or chili.
He likes it, the wife and kids object to that real strong wild taste.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM

Oh ok, gotcha. Well, if his family likes spicy food - I'd say go for chili and sausage for some of it - perfect season for that kind of food and probably more palatable for them than a roast IMO. You might even want to link to this thread over at the hunting forum if you don't get actual answers here!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
So, around midnight last night I get a call from my DH's friend. He bagged a young elk and wanted to know how to remove that game taste.

Any suggestions? I prefer to do my hunting at the local grocer so i'm clueless.

Thanks!
These are the same people who go fishing and then don't want fish to taste fishy. Why bother?

Obviously, if you don't enjoy how something tastes, why kill it? It's a terrible waste of a good animal. Tell him to give it to a nice Native American family or someone who will honor and appreciate the sacrifice.

Your dh's friend sounds like a complete idiot to me.

20ysrinBranson

Old 10-24-2010, 01:16 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I think venison has a gamey taste but never thought so of elk. I really like elk and if it is a young one as you stated, it should taste even better. You can always disguise any meat with maybe soaking it in a brine solution, adding BBQ sauce or making chili out of it. Cook it slowly in a crock pot with spices for a sandwhich or carnita etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think venison has a gamey taste but never thought so of elk. I really like elk and if it is a young one as you stated, it should taste even better. You can always disguise any meat with maybe soaking it in a brine solution, adding BBQ sauce or making chili out of it. Cook it slowly in a crock pot with spices for a sandwhich or carnita etc.
Thanks for the tips! I'll pass it along.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Ooo I forgot about BBQ and will second this suggestion. Also will second that to me elk tasted mild compared to venison. I think I just don't really like deer meat that much.

And umm...I think I gave pretty similar suggestions Always the bridesmaid...

Old 10-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ooo I forgot about BBQ and will second this suggestion. Also will second that to me elk tasted mild compared to venison. I think I just don't really like deer meat that much.

And umm...I think I gave pretty similar suggestions Always the bridesmaid...
Sorry , I forgot to thank you as well.

THANKS!

I got a little sidetracked there while I was ducking the morality bombs. I can't bring myself to eat it, but other people seem to love game meats. Live and let live...

Once again, thank you.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
These are the same people who go fishing and then don't want fish to taste fishy. Why bother?

Obviously, if you don't enjoy how something tastes, why kill it? It's a terrible waste of a good animal. Tell him to give it to a nice Native American family or someone who will honor and appreciate the sacrifice.

Your dh's friend sounds like a complete idiot to me.

20ysrinBranson
How do you figure that he wasted his kill? Also,when you cook, do you add spices? Or just slap it in a pot and hope for the best?

The taste of wild game varies from animal to animal,as with any meat. What's so wrong with trying to improve the taste?
I've been cooking for a very long time and I can tell you that those extra touches make or break a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink