U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:45 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Stored at 72 degrees until further notice" (set 14 days ago)

20,159 posts, read 11,571,045 times
Talking Directions in nostalgic cookbooks

We all know "back in the day" people ate a lot more heavy, fatty, caloric foods, especially closer to the days when hard labor was more commonplace. And when people walked more or rode bikes more even when most no longer lived on farms.

Yet I was stopped cold a couple of days ago when reading an old cookbook. They actually wrote that since fat gives hamburger its flavor, that if your butcher's hamburger wasn't fatty enough, ask him to add a couple of ounces of fat to it! I had to laugh.

This was a 1958 cookbook with lots of directions and how-tos. I love the advice they give in old cookbooks anyway. Have you ever read any that made you laugh , wonder , roll your eyes , feel surprised , think , or ask 'what were they thinking?'

Not just 50s books, but books from any era. I read (didn't buy and wished I had) a 1912 cookbook that suggested peanut butter and green olive sandwiches. Sounds But they're actually good!

Last edited by bjh; 09-05-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 05:01 PM

12,461 posts, read 17,688,686 times
I am a Cookbook collector and just love the old ones. I know exactly what you are talking about!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,329,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Yet I was stopped cold a couple of days ago when reading an old cookbook. They actually wrote that since fat gives hamburger its flavor, that if your butcher's hamburger wasn't fatty enough, ask him to add a couple of ounces of fat to it!
That's actually good advice. You ever try to make something out of highly lean ground beef? I have. Dry as a bone.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM

17,465 posts, read 16,574,973 times
I remember an older church cookbook and some of the directions and strange ingredients.

I had actually tried some of them and they were not too bad....

Wish I still had that. I think I lost it in a move.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 AM

16,913 posts, read 11,694,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That's actually good advice. You ever try to make something out of highly lean ground beef? I have. Dry as a bone.
Yep - don't want hamburgers made from lean ground beef...Must use chuck.....It all depends on what you're cooking....

Old 09-06-2009, 11:05 AM

467 posts, read 398,246 times
Usually when I use lean beef for burgers I cook em in butter. lol.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I am a Cookbook collector and just love the old ones. I know exactly what you are talking about!
They're fun to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I remember an older church cookbook and some of the directions and strange ingredients.

I had actually tried some of them and they were not too bad....

Wish I still had that. I think I lost it in a move.
Yeah, some of their tips are really good. Some are totally out of date. It can really vary.

I remembered another one. An early 60s cookbook by a community group - suggested to ladies to put apple slices in the dh's pipe tobacco container to keep it moist and lend flavor.

Of course, back then EVERY guy smoked a pipe - ala TV dads.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 5,466,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
... An early 60s cookbook by a community group - suggested to ladies to put apple slices in the dh's pipe tobacco container to keep it moist and lend flavor ...
Yes back in the 60's, 70's we would put apple slices in our... ummm... "tobacco" It kept it at just the right moistness for a mellow smoke

Old 09-06-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Yes back in the 60's, 70's we would put apple slices in our... ummm... "tobacco" It kept it at just the right moistness for a mellow smoke
Oh really? The things you learn on CD.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM

7,165 posts, read 9,563,260 times
I recall an old cookbook that gave instructions for fried chicken that began "Select a chicken with a bright red crop and comb."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink