U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Season's greetings." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
20,512 posts, read 12,409,478 times
Reputation: 93594

Advertisements

We all know "back in the day" people ate a lot more heavy, fatty, caloric foods, especially closer to the days when hard labor was more commonplace. And when people walked more or rode bikes more even when most no longer lived on farms.

Yet I was stopped cold a couple of days ago when reading an old cookbook. They actually wrote that since fat gives hamburger its flavor, that if your butcher's hamburger wasn't fatty enough, ask him to add a couple of ounces of fat to it! I had to laugh.

This was a 1958 cookbook with lots of directions and how-tos. I love the advice they give in old cookbooks anyway. Have you ever read any that made you laugh , wonder , roll your eyes , feel surprised , think , or ask 'what were they thinking?'

Not just 50s books, but books from any era. I read (didn't buy and wished I had) a 1912 cookbook that suggested peanut butter and green olive sandwiches. Sounds But they're actually good!

Last edited by bjh; 09-05-2009 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2009, 06:01 PM
 
12,546 posts, read 18,459,698 times
Reputation: 13591
I am a Cookbook collector and just love the old ones. I know exactly what you are talking about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,585 posts, read 20,566,351 times
Reputation: 16144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Yet I was stopped cold a couple of days ago when reading an old cookbook. They actually wrote that since fat gives hamburger its flavor, that if your butcher's hamburger wasn't fatty enough, ask him to add a couple of ounces of fat to it!
That's actually good advice. You ever try to make something out of highly lean ground beef? I have. Dry as a bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Location: NoVa
17,981 posts, read 17,719,520 times
Reputation: 18262
I remember an older church cookbook and some of the directions and strange ingredients.

I had actually tried some of them and they were not too bad....

Wish I still had that. I think I lost it in a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Denver area
17,117 posts, read 12,452,594 times
Reputation: 19491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That's actually good advice. You ever try to make something out of highly lean ground beef? I have. Dry as a bone.
Yep - don't want hamburgers made from lean ground beef...Must use chuck.....It all depends on what you're cooking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Long Island via Chapel Hill NC, Go Heels?
467 posts, read 419,242 times
Reputation: 381
Usually when I use lean beef for burgers I cook em in butter. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 05:17 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Season's greetings." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
20,512 posts, read 12,409,478 times
Reputation: 93594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I am a Cookbook collector and just love the old ones. I know exactly what you are talking about!
They're fun to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I remember an older church cookbook and some of the directions and strange ingredients.

I had actually tried some of them and they were not too bad....

Wish I still had that. I think I lost it in a move.
Yeah, some of their tips are really good. Some are totally out of date. It can really vary.

I remembered another one. An early 60s cookbook by a community group - suggested to ladies to put apple slices in the dh's pipe tobacco container to keep it moist and lend flavor.

Of course, back then EVERY guy smoked a pipe - ala TV dads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Arlington Virginia
4,538 posts, read 5,680,569 times
Reputation: 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
... An early 60s cookbook by a community group - suggested to ladies to put apple slices in the dh's pipe tobacco container to keep it moist and lend flavor ...
Yes back in the 60's, 70's we would put apple slices in our... ummm... "tobacco" It kept it at just the right moistness for a mellow smoke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Season's greetings." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
20,512 posts, read 12,409,478 times
Reputation: 93594
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Yes back in the 60's, 70's we would put apple slices in our... ummm... "tobacco" It kept it at just the right moistness for a mellow smoke
Oh really? The things you learn on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,238 posts, read 10,031,183 times
Reputation: 6531
I recall an old cookbook that gave instructions for fried chicken that began "Select a chicken with a bright red crop and comb."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top