Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, I have read somewhere (can't remember) about how different ethnic categories of restaurants perform in health inspections.

I remember reading that Italian restaurants are generally the best performing in health inspections. I have also read that Vietnamese restaurants are the worst performing, with Chinese a close second, howver, I am not surprised by this, as many of these restaurants are buffets. Mexican restaurants performed somewhere in the middle.

I am not trying to offend anyone, but this is what I have read before. However, I am curious to know why Italian restaurants generally perform better in health inspections than other ethnic categories.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:36 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Japanese restaurants tend to do well in health inspections.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
LOL..yeh roaches only like chinese food...

Are you serious?

It depends on who owns the place not where they came from. Around here italians pay off health inspectors in the few business places I personally know of.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 AM

467 posts, read 713,206 times
The only reason I can see this being a problem is what's used in the food which causes insects to spread, and it makes it harder to clean?? LoL. I haven't a clue what this has to do with cleanliness. Indian restaurants and Italian are cleanest from my experiences though, if you must know.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Ever have an Italian mother ? They are generally big on domestic cleanliness. I had an Italian Landlady. I used to watch her cook. She was the best. Spotless house. Spotless kitchen.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
LOL..yeh roaches only like chinese food...

Are you serious?

It depends on who owns the place not where they came from. Around here italians pay off health inspectors in the few business places I personally know of.
It isn't because roaches only like Chinese/Asian food, but it is because many of these restaurants are buffets, which are held to higher standards than most traditional restaurants.

And I highly doubt Italians are bribing health inspectors to pass inspection. That is nothing but an ethnic stereotype.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:51 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I was wondering, I have read somewhere (can't remember) about how different ethnic categories of restaurants perform in health inspections.

I remember reading that Italian restaurants are generally the best performing in health inspections. I have also read that Vietnamese restaurants are the worst performing, with Chinese a close second, howver, I am not surprised by this, as many of these restaurants are buffets. Mexican restaurants performed somewhere in the middle.

I am not trying to offend anyone, but this is what I have read before. However, I am curious to know why Italian restaurants generally perform better in health inspections than other ethnic categories.
Links please.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Links please.
Unfortunatley, I don't remember the links. It has been a while ago, and I don't know if the pages are still up.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:50 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
I don't think one can generalize by saying one type of 'ethnic restaurant' is cleaner than another. I think it depends on the individual restaurant itself and the owners. I wonder if location has any bearing-for example, the Indian restaurants here in Ann Arbor are much cleaner than those in, say, inner-city Detroit.

Where I live, I have personally found the Middle Eastern restaurants to be the dirtiest.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I don't think one can generalize by saying one type of 'ethnic restaurant' is cleaner than another. I think it depends on the individual restaurant itself and the owners. I wonder if location has any bearing-for example, the Indian restaurants here in Ann Arbor are much cleaner than those in, say, inner-city Detroit.

Where I live, I have personally found the Middle Eastern restaurants to be the dirtiest.
Well, here in Albuquerque, there is a "Red or Green" restaurant report on KOAT 7. I rarely hear of Italian restaurants getting a red Unsatisfactory sticker. And every Italian restaurant I have been to have all been pretty clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink