Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 AM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times

Advertisements

Any tips on how to make great salsa dip? Something simple. A nice video clip would be nice with ingredients. Something with the taste similar to Pace Picante would be fine. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,126 times
I've never had Pace Picante, but here's how I make mine.

One large can tomatoes, chopped up with the juices
2 fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped up
1 medium sweet onion, chopped up
2-3 cloves minced garlic
Juice of one or two limes to taste
3 TBSP. olive oil
1/2 to 1 cup chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Mix all together and let sit at room temperature a few hours to marinate.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
No heat??? ^^^^ Pace Picante is Mild but does have some peppers. They have Mild, Medium and something hotter! I'm assuming the peppers were accidentally left out of the above recipe.

http://www.great-salsa.com/

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Appeti...alsa/Main.aspx

Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Yikes!!! I DID forget that part. Didn't take my Milk of Amnesia this morning. So yes! To the OP, depending on how hot you want your salsa, take a small jalapeno pepper, remove the seeds and mince finely. If you're not sure, add a teaspoon at a time of the minced jalapeno and taste until it has the heat you want.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
I'd start with diced tomatoes, add chopped onion, maybe some garlic and black olives. Celery wouldn't really be out of place if chopped fine.

You can add jalapenos to it if you like, or chipotles, but I use spices. I wonder if adobo goes good in salsa? I have a fajita seasoning--I think it has cumin and coriander in it already.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Any tips on how to make great salsa dip? Something simple. A nice video clip would be nice with ingredients. Something with the taste similar to Pace Picante would be fine. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
No heat??? ^^^^ Pace Picante is Mild but does have some peppers. They have Mild, Medium and something hotter! I'm assuming the peppers were accidentally left out of the above recipe.
Get a rope!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I've never had Pace Picante, but here's how I make mine.

One large can tomatoes, chopped up with the juices
2 fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped up
1 medium sweet onion, chopped up
2-3 cloves minced garlic
Juice of one or two limes to taste
3 TBSP. olive oil
1/2 to 1 cup chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Mix all together and let sit at room temperature a few hours to marinate.
Was a head chef in Mexican and Southwestern Cuisine for about 10 years and this is pretty dang good (with the peppers, of course). I'm very glad to see the addition of Oil, which adds smoothness and richness to the salsa. Most people don't use it (I assume they are not aware), but it is a key ingredient.

To the above, I like to add:
-One can of diced green chili's
-A few tbs of white vinegar (I use home-made pepper vinegar with peppers from my garden)
-A few dash's of Cumin, and a few dashes of white, black and cayenne pepper (the combination adds complexity to the flavor, and layers the heat).

The canned and fresh tomatos mentioned above are also both very important. I'm not sure why, but it always comes out better this way.

With this base salsa, you can add "stuff" if you want, like corn, or avacado, or peaches, or chipotles. Also worth trying is a little bit of dried mexican oregeno. And also worth trying is to mix up your peppers even more. (Jalepenos, Serranos, Habeneros, Fresh Cayennes, or etc....)

Enjoy.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
no one uses tomatillos?????????????????????????

Old 09-12-2009, 07:05 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
no one uses tomatillos?????????????????????????
Taught to me by my Mexican friend. (She never worked in the business, but is an INCREDIBLE cook, and has taught me a lot.)

Husk and clean tomatillos
Cut in half and "fry" in oil in a skillet with a bunch of sliced onions. Use more oil than you would think. Add some garlic, and also some dried hot chilis (I forget the name, but they are the little skinny red ones). When it is all cooked to "soft", she adds it to a blender and blends with lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Adding Cilantro is optional, but I recommend it. I also like to add a little bit of whole cumin and dried oregeno in the skillet. Let it cool. It is a hot (Spicy) salsa, but is very good. This is the salsa verde that you get in a taqueria to put on your authentic tacos (carnitas, lugua, tripas, asada, cabesa, etc...)

I may have missed a few ingredients, but it is pretty much "that simple", and really good.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Was a head chef in Mexican and Southwestern Cuisine for about 10 years and this is pretty dang good (with the peppers, of course). I'm very glad to see the addition of Oil, which adds smoothness and richness to the salsa. Most people don't use it (I assume they are not aware), but it is a key ingredient.

To the above, I like to add:
-One can of diced green chili's
-A few tbs of white vinegar (I use home-made pepper vinegar with peppers from my garden)
-A few dash's of Cumin, and a few dashes of white, black and cayenne pepper (the combination adds complexity to the flavor, and layers the heat).

The canned and fresh tomatos mentioned above are also both very important. I'm not sure why, but it always comes out better this way.

With this base salsa, you can add "stuff" if you want, like corn, or avacado, or peaches, or chipotles. Also worth trying is a little bit of dried mexican oregeno. And also worth trying is to mix up your peppers even more. (Jalepenos, Serranos, Habeneros, Fresh Cayennes, or etc....)

Enjoy.
Thanks! I made this after deconstructing the salsa at a local Mexican restaurant. It was the best I had ever tasted and I wanted to duplicate it. Glad you approve of the addition of oil. A lot of folks don't know that fat is what helps marry and carry the flavors to your mouth. And I don't either know why the canned tomatoes work so well, but they just do. Maybe is because they are cooked and have some sodium in them.
This salsa is also delicious mixed in with sour cream for a creamier dip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink