Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,226,265 times

Advertisements

Oh of course you can buy the boxed stuff.

Eww.

LOL> it does make life easier. But I figure, Thanksgiving is once a year, and you are spending time with your family and loved ones and want them to enjoy themselves.

I will be making the cherry cheesecake and stuffing this year to bring. It is either going to be at my sisters or one of my brothers houses.

I used to host it every year at my parents house, but when they passed, we now each take turns with it except for one of my sisters, she spends it with her dh family.

My sister in law makes a pumpkin roll that is to die for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 12:15 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,048,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I know I have started. Anyone wanna share your fav recipes/dishes for Thanksgiving?

Every year I am certain to make cheesecake and Sausage cornbread dressing with mushrooms and all kinds of other stuff in it.

I think last years had apples in it, too.
Honestly, I think Thanksgiving is the worst day to pick to feast. Usually I find myself eating LESS on Thanksgiving than other days. Reality is, thanksgiving food is usually bland, sometimes offensive stuff. Personally, I'd rather feast on (Asian) Indian food, Mexican food, etc. Not hard-to-even taste turkey and mashed potatoes

Old 09-26-2009, 01:27 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,226,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Honestly, I think Thanksgiving is the worst day to pick to feast. Usually I find myself eating LESS on Thanksgiving than other days. Reality is, thanksgiving food is usually bland, sometimes offensive stuff. Personally, I'd rather feast on (Asian) Indian food, Mexican food, etc. Not hard-to-even taste turkey and mashed potatoes
Different strokes for different folks!

Old 09-26-2009, 01:34 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,773,946 times
Thanksgiving here is never bland or tough food. I consider cooking that meal a labor of pure love to my family and guests. Sad you feel that way.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:43 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,754,469 times
I guess tvdxer is eating in all the wrong places...nothing bland in our house either...Sorry tvdxer

Old 09-26-2009, 03:47 PM

122 posts, read 388,400 times
Yep, I'm thinking about it I always deep fry a turkey and I usually can't wait to do that. I stopped the other day and bought some Creole Garlic marinade. I can't wait.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:07 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,569,025 times
We started squirriling bread away in the freezer for dressing a couple of weeks ago. I'm in Hawaii so Thanksgiving is a little different. Most everybody has a turkey, but often BBQ'ed. I make mine in the oven, but brine the turkey with shoyu and molassas & line the pan with taro, (like spinach) & banana leaves. Somebody always makes rice, along with the mashed potatoes. We have purple sweet potatoes instead of yams and always, always a platter of sliced fried spam.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,754,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Oh of course you can buy the boxed stuff.

Eww.

LOL> it does make life easier. But I figure, Thanksgiving is once a year, and you are spending time with your family and loved ones and want them to enjoy themselves.

I will be making the cherry cheesecake and stuffing this year to bring. It is either going to be at my sisters or one of my brothers houses.

I used to host it every year at my parents house, but when they passed, we now each take turns with it except for one of my sisters, she spends it with her dh family.

My sister in law makes a pumpkin roll that is to die for!
I have always wanted to make one of them....it has to be the ultimate...

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 PM

36,337 posts, read 15,937,064 times
That pumpkin roll sounds so good.!! Recipe?? What does Lacey cook?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,113,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
This is what we make every year:
1. green bean casserole
2. mashed potatoes
3. all sorts of pies
4. brisket
5. homemade gravy
6. wine
7. rolls n' butter
8. peas
9. roasted turkey

The only reason why we have all this stuff is because we have like 15 people at hte table every year and it is by far the best meal of the year

You peeking or we are peeking on your table because that is what we have every year including company.... I make 4 Pumpkin pies and our neighbor makes 2 great apple pies.... My wife also makes stuffing with raisin bread along with baked sweet potatoes smothered in a Rasberry sauce made with Chamborg wine. YIPES....Good thing we have it at our home....

Our home is new and large so we always offer room and board for everyone just in case they eat or drink too much. We also live in SE Florida so our pool is always open too and is heated 85-88 for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink