Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM

31,947 posts, read 34,489,929 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to see that this restaurant owner decided to fight back. 99% of Yelpers are just absolutely ridiculous, spoiled, self-entitled morons, imo.

Owner Of The Playground Restaurant Tells Sucky Yelper To Burn In Hell | Yelpers Who Suck

Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM

16,899 posts, read 16,049,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm glad to see that this restaurant owner decided to fight back. 99% of Yelpers are just absolutely ridiculous, spoiled, self-entitled morons, imo.

Owner Of The Playground Restaurant Tells Sucky Yelper To Burn In Hell | Yelpers Who Suck

That's not true at all.
Most people that submit reviews on Yelp(!) give their honest opinion after dining at an establishment, but Yelp(!) is of late in turmoil due to some lawsuits so now it is just wriggling and squirming to shake the monkeys off it's back.
They deleted reviews that I submitted long ago - then wrote to me explaining that the reviews were not valid since I did not actually dine at the restaurant(s).......and I DID dine at the restaurant(s).
I don't think it's the restaurants OR the "Yelp"ers that "suck"......it's Yelp(!).

(I'd have a look at the link attached but since it says you're from Brooklyn, N.Y. and your post is so opinionated and offensive I think I'll just pass, based on widespread beliefs.) .......

So, why do you think that Yelpers are wrong in their reviews?

Last edited by rainroosty; 12-11-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,371,259 times
Eh.

The review is snobby, the response is knee-jerk and defensive (probably rightfully so)...in any case, Yelp is simply a site of amateur reviewer opinions. It's just word of mouth, only amplified because it's posted online. If Yelp makes or breaks an establishment, there's probably something else going on. Both parties were pretty open about their opinions, and that's allowed. It's not cool/ethical to LIE about something, but there's no law against offending somebody with your opinion. And it's certainly not libelous to have a differing opinion.

Libel's tough to prove, because it's difficult to prove intent (or to quantify money lost and correlate it to untruths communicated, for that matter).

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 12-11-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM

41,811 posts, read 74,858,647 times
Wow. That owner is a real charmer. I guess he's missed the bit about the customer always being right in Customer Service 101. Not to mention the part about refraining from spewing four-letter-word venom at the customer.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,910,930 times
I can't believe anyone is taking the side of the owner in this matter. His response was rude, offensive and arrogant. If I am paying for a meal, you better believe I want my meat cooked the way I want it....which is very well done. Any trace of pink in my meat nauseates me. Who is he to force me to eat something I find disgusting?

Instead of the abrasive response to the review, the owner should have simply had a friend or satisfied customer write up a positive review to offset the negative. One negative review will not destroy a restaurants reputation, but the angry belittling response complete with the F bomb surely will.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,010,525 times
Eh, they're both turds.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,959,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

That's not true at all.
Most people that submit reviews on Yelp(!) give their honest opinion after dining at an establishment, but Yelp(!) is of late in turmoil due to some lawsuits so now it is just wriggling and squirming to shake the monkeys off it's back.
They deleted reviews that I submitted long ago - then wrote to me explaining that the reviews were not valid since I did not actually dine at the restaurant(s).......and I DID dine at the restaurant(s).
I don't think it's the restaurants OR the "Yelp"ers that "suck"......it's Yelp(!).

(I'd have a look at the link attached but since it says you're from Brooklyn, N.Y. and your post is so opinionated and offensive I think I'll just pass, based on widespread beliefs.) .......

So, why do you think that Yelpers are wrong in their reviews?
Here's what I think of Yelp (a both someone who's posted reviews and as a former owner of a cafe that received reviews, with many friends in the business).

- 5% of Yelp! reviews are well thought out positive reviews with an appreciation of what the business is trying to accomplish and appreciative of it.
- 5% of Yelp! reviews are well thought out negative reviews with an appreciation of what the business is trying to accomplish and where it failed to deliver, but done with class and detail. The review cited here would be in that 5% but then crossed the line into personal insults.
- 30% of Yelp! reviews call any establishment that's trying to serve better food than Olive Garden, TGIF, Starbucks or Cheesecake Factory "pretentious". 98% of folks in this category do not know the definition of pretentious.
- 50% of Yelp! reviews cite everywhere they've reviewed as being too expensive for whatever they got, usually because there wasn't enough left over for a doggie bag for tomorrow's lunch.
- 5% of Yelp! reviews are from people who've never even been to the place.
- 5% of Yelp! reviews are from owners of really crappy places saying the food/ambience/staff/menu/prices/owner is/are The. Best. Thing. Evar. You can often tell this because the poster has exactly 1 review to their credit.

- The exception to the above are reviews of Mexican restaurants where 90% of the reviews focus on the size of the margarita while the other 10% complain about not getting free refills of chips and salsa.

- OK, there's another exception. You can never, ever trust a review on a pizza place because pizza is one of those things that nobody ever agrees on. If you grew up with a certain pizza, that's what you think pizza is and nobody is ever going to change your mind. Instead of reading all the reviews, find someone who seems to like the same pizzas you do and trust that person instead. More easily done on Urbanspoon than on Yelp!

That said, the way the owner handled his response was uncalled for, unprofessional and not very smart. The only time there should be a forced gratuity is when it's a large group and it's printed on the menu (and website). A 3% auto-gratuity for the kitchen staff is absurd - raise your prices if that's the case as the owner is just asking for grief with that policy. An $18 chicken dish would be $18.50. Is anyone really not going to order that over an additional 50 cents?

However, it was interesting to note that in the owner's response he said that the group called themselves "chefs". No chef I know of would post a review like that. If they are chefs, they're complete hacks.

Last edited by sskink; 12-11-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,201,517 times
The owner's response was totally obnoxious. I cannot believe he dropped the f-bombs. If I lived in the area, I would never patronize his restaurant after reading his response.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,690,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow. That owner is a real charmer. I guess he's missed the bit about the customer always being right in Customer Service 101. Not to mention the part about refraining from spewing four-letter-word venom at the customer.
Except that anyone who has served the public in any capacity at all knows that the customer isn't always right and continuing to cling to that myth just empowers customers to ask for the world under the guise of "the customer's always right". Just because you want something doesnt mean you are entitled to it.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,690,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I can't believe anyone is taking the side of the owner in this matter. His response was rude, offensive and arrogant. If I am paying for a meal, you better believe I want my meat cooked the way I want it....which is very well done. Any trace of pink in my meat nauseates me. Who is he to force me to eat something I find disgusting?

Instead of the abrasive response to the review, the owner should have simply had a friend or satisfied customer write up a positive review to offset the negative. One negative review will not destroy a restaurants reputation, but the angry belittling response complete with the F bomb surely will.
Except that his point was that he makes it a specific way and if you dont want it that way dont eat there. Ironically the reviewer slammed him on Yelp and it is very possible that the very fact that they make meat a certain way there may have already been reviewed that (disclaimer: that was an assumption).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink