Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

My family is so used to the usual suspects at our Holiday Celebrations- turkey or ham, cheese grits casserole, green bean casserole, stuffing, jello salad, wilted spinach salad, pumpkin or apple pie. You know what I mean? They love them all and each member has their favorite request.

I would like to try something different this year to introduce a new food but I need time to try it out before the Big Meal.

Any suggestions? Something which could be frozen would be even better. Remember we are Southern through and through!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
You could also just adjust old favorites.

Oaxacan mole' for turkey instead of gravy, capirotada instead of apple pie, chorizo in your stuffing.

Add tamales and or ravioli to the menu instead of potatos.

Ravioli and Ham are now the required by the family Christmas day.

Try a seafood stuffing.

Lots of options.

Broccoli Salad
Coleslaw
Caesar Salad

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 11-01-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
I found a recipe a few months ago for Parmesan Celery Salad with cannellini beans in 101 Cookbooks. I tried it and really liked it so I'm going to serve it as an extra cold salad. Mine looked better than the one on the recipe site. LOL I have made it using cannellini beans and another time using garbanzo beans - I liked them both but I think I liked garbanzo beans better...but that could be just me as I like garbanzo beans a lot.

Parmesan Celery Salad Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

Also I ordered Junior League of Jackson Mississippi cookbook. In it, I found a really good recipe for a sweet onion casserole which uses sweet onions, ritz type crackers, onions, cheddar cheese, eggs and milk. I tried it and liked it too.

And lastly, I somehow found a Chocolate Praline Cake recipe from Pillsbury...I tried it and it was to die for so I decided I have to make it for Thanksgiving.

Chocolate Praline Layer Cake Recipe from Pillsbury.com#

Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My family is so used to the usual suspects at our Holiday Celebrations- turkey or ham, cheese grits casserole, green bean casserole, stuffing, jello salad, wilted spinach salad, pumpkin or apple pie. You know what I mean? They love them all and each member has their favorite request.

I would like to try something different this year to introduce a new food but I need time to try it out before the Big Meal.

Any suggestions? Something which could be frozen would be even better. Remember we are Southern through and through!
I am making my Amish friendship bread right now and have recipe for pumpkin/pecan bread. I think I am going to do that plus more vanilla, cinn, apple muffins.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
There are so many people involved in our Thanksgiving that there is so much food it is almost incredible. We cook several turkeys so people can take home leftovers.

People request their favorites from different family members every year. My sister always has it at her house and then we have about 40 people give/take.

I usually bring homemade sausage stuffing and a few cheesecakes. I also made the sweet potatoes last year.

My sister always makes her broccoli and cheese and my brothers wife brings a lot of the appetizer foods and makes pumpkin rolls every year.

My brother is the head turkey man in charge.....lol My sister cooks one inside for the people who like their stuffing in the bird and there are 3-4 cooked outside in the fryer. Always have the spiral sliced ham.

I suppose this year I will bring a meat loaf too and some home made mac and cheese. Bf doesn't like turkey or ham.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
I have quite a few I wanna do:

Stuffing Balls

Broccoli Cheddar Casserole

French Silk Pie

Cracker Barrel's Hash brown Casserole

But this one, I'm definitely making....

Salted Caramel Brownies - She Makes and Bakes

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
I'm toying with a brussel sprouts recipe from Marcela (Mexican Made Easy) - Brussel Sprouts Supreme. Promises that anyone will like it, even those who hate the little buggers. I like them and my fiance LOVES them so it seems to be a no-brainer. Haven't made it yet but am planning to do a test run of it by the weekend's end. It calls for Pine nuts, which I love, but gosh are they expensive!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Cracker Barrel's Hash brown Casserole
Oh!! I have this one from a website called Todd Wilbur's Secret Recipes which are supposed to mimic those famous restaurant dishes. I totally forgot I had this...and since I'm on the west coast and there is nary a Cracker Barrel to be found, I so wanted this recipe! Thank you for reminding me. I'll have to add this to the list..

Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Oh!! I have this one from a website called Todd Wilbur's Secret Recipes which are supposed to mimic those famous restaurant dishes. I totally forgot I had this...and since I'm on the west coast and there is nary a Cracker Barrel to be found, I so wanted this recipe! Thank you for reminding me. I'll have to add this to the list..
Lol, I'm glad I reminded ya'

It sounds delicious

Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I found a recipe a few months ago for Parmesan Celery Salad with cannellini beans in 101 Cookbooks. I tried it and really liked it so I'm going to serve it as an extra cold salad. Mine looked better than the one on the recipe site. LOL I have made it using cannellini beans and another time using garbanzo beans - I liked them both but I think I liked garbanzo beans better...but that could be just me as I like garbanzo beans a lot.

Parmesan Celery Salad Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

Also I ordered Junior League of Jackson Mississippi cookbook. In it, I found a really good recipe for a sweet onion casserole which uses sweet onions, ritz type crackers, onions, cheddar cheese, eggs and milk. I tried it and liked it too.

And lastly, I somehow found a Chocolate Praline Cake recipe from Pillsbury...I tried it and it was to die for so I decided I have to make it for Thanksgiving.

Chocolate Praline Layer Cake Recipe from Pillsbury.com#

These both sound delicious, I am going to try them also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink