U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 PM

580 posts, read 836,560 times

Advertisements

Base for soup with carrots and onions, celery is also good raw (if it's fresh and crunchy) dipped in what is called "pinzimonio" in Tuscany: extra virgin, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. Fennels and raw artichokes are also eaten like that in Tuscany by the way.

I also use celery together with homemade mayo for a quick tuna or chicken salad.

I also find celery to be a versatile ingredient in several "risotto" as it adds some texture to it.

Do you use celery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,134,465 times
I sometime serve it as an aperitive cut in short sticks and with a bit of Gorgonzola cheese spread in the middle part.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,674,812 times
Celery is one member of my four essential vegetable mise en place prep. The other three are onions, carrots and peppers. With these I can make just about anything.

Then there's the elegantly simple snack of celery stuffed with peanut butter.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:31 PM

102 posts, read 188,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I sometime serve it as an aperitive cut in short sticks and with a bit of Gorgonzola cheese spread in the middle part.
Ooooooooooooh that sounds delicious.
I love celery. I chop them up and add to casseroles and soups.I also cut them in half and add some peanut butter.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:23 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,134,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrdhd View Post
Ooooooooooooh that sounds delicious.
I love celery. I chop them up and add to casseroles and soups.I also cut them in half and add some peanut butter.
I must try that, never thought of that combination but it sounds good.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,128,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Wow-that sounds DELICIOUS. I bet it'd be good with a blue cheese-like type of spread as well.

Celery certainly is a challenge. I've never been too terrible creative with it; I usually wither add it to soups (it's a must for chicken noodle, vegetable, gumbo, jambalaya-I'm sure there's a few more I can't think of), or eat it raw with either peanut butter or a ranch veggie dip.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,556,275 times
Celery is good in certain things, but don't use so much that it overpowers the taste.

NEVER PUT CELERY DOWN THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL.....CAN BE A QUICK RUINATION!!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,298,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Base for soup with carrots and onions, celery is also good raw (if it's fresh and crunchy) dipped in what is called "pinzimonio" in Tuscany: extra virgin, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. Fennels and raw artichokes are also eaten like that in Tuscany by the way.

I also use celery together with homemade mayo for a quick tuna or chicken salad.

I also find celery to be a versatile ingredient in several "risotto" as it adds some texture to it.

Do you use celery?
I should use it in making soup, but when I do use it, it's usually raw to add some texture to the foods I'm making (various types of mayo-based salads).

Old 09-25-2009, 05:04 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,501,025 times
I use it along with onion and carrots as the classic base for sauces and risotto and such. Also in soups. And it's great diced up in chicken salad and tuna salad for sandwiches.

I love the idea of putting blue cheese in the middle part - I'm going to try that soon as I have both in the fridge. Maybe in a few minutes actually, as I'm thinking it's bound to be sooooo good and can't wait to try it! And the pinzimonio sounds great too.

It's also good in a Bloody Mary or Bloody Caesar, really crisp and cold.

And as part of a raw vegetable dip - along with carrots, radishes, peppers, etc.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,222,507 times
Soups, stews, chicken and rice, mac and potato salads, tuna and chicken salads, w/buffalo wings and blue cheese dressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink