U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 AM

25,063 posts, read 31,026,757 times

Advertisements

Grocery shoppers beware: It's likely that a few of the items in your cart should have been removed from the shelves because they were past the expiration date.

But chances are you won't know that because in most states expiration dates aren't required, and where dating is mandatory it is inconsistent and confusing.

Is it OK to Eat Expired Food? - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM

505 posts, read 597,776 times
Okey dokey.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 AM

27,237 posts, read 26,829,104 times
Depends on the wording:

"Best if used before....",

"Use by...."

"Sell by...."

I have indeed eaten expired food--usually expired just a few days previous. The store manager would even let us HAVE certain expired foods. Store brand chips (snacks), store brand cookies and crackers. Some dairy items.

This is one of the realities of stocking--and this can even happen with perishable iters. No one really wants to "rotate" the product. It gets too time consuming to do so. And, with any luck, the expiration dates are several months in the future anyhow.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 AM

9,679 posts, read 4,285,721 times
The date is there for prevention, but most items are still good to eat several days after the date. So no problem!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 AM

25,396 posts, read 31,762,516 times
A lot of hysterical hooey.

For most non-perishables, the date means nothing. If the can is dented or rusted, don't use it; otherwise, it's fine.

For perishable items, the date is usually just a CYA by the manufacturer; the product is good sometimes weeks after that date.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,371,173 times
I was thinking about this the other day. Most non-meat or dairy foods didn't even have dates on them until the last 10-15 years, now almost everything has them, even beer and soda. It makes me wonder how many products I have eaten that were many years old...

My GF and I are split on exp dates. She won't touch anything that is even days near the date, I am more flexible. I respect dates on "fresh" foods, but I take dates on most dry/prepared goods more as a suggestion, esp if they are heavily proccessed.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 AM

5,309 posts, read 6,544,615 times
It's true the date can be just a guideline but it's better than nothing. 3 times in a row, I bought milk from the local farm which didn't date their products at all. Each time, the milk had been open only a day or two when it went sour. And even better, because I wasn't expecting it (since it had only just been opened), I didn't stop to smell it or anything, just drank away.... yum. Of course I stopped getting milk from the local farm but I still have a slight paranoia of milk going bad. That's why I like this Cravendale stuff - they filter more bacteria out of it then most milk manufacturers do so it lasts longer.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM

27,237 posts, read 26,829,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's true the date can be just a guideline but it's better than nothing. 3 times in a row, I bought milk from the local farm which didn't date their products at all. Each time, the milk had been open only a day or two when it went sour. And even better, because I wasn't expecting it (since it had only just been opened), I didn't stop to smell it or anything, just drank away.... yum. Of course I stopped getting milk from the local farm but I still have a slight paranoia of milk going bad. That's why I like this Cravendale stuff - they filter more bacteria out of it then most milk manufacturers do so it lasts longer.
Parmalat.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,182,088 times
Ask a pharmacist, who will likely say that the ingredients degrade in value yet the item is usually deemed 'safe'. It is isn't safe, it seems there would be a legal obligation to state such a threatening possibility on a label.

I do know that because of law suits that grocery stores tend to be more careful in stocking baby food these days: to avoid stocking out of date or nearly out of date baby food.

You need to watch out for anything else on the grocery shelf though. The workers have a hard time watching rotation. You need to double check everything to get your money's worth. Watch the expiry dates on your drugs too, esp. if they're something that you take on as needed basis.

Kate

Old 10-09-2009, 06:47 AM

5,309 posts, read 6,544,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Parmalat.
I don't follow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink