Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaVA View Post
Most people think that having a separate grinder and coffee maker is best, but I'd think that defeats the purpose of having it all done automatically before you get out of bed! That's the main feature my SO wants - to set it the night before, and have coffee ready when he comes downstairs the next morning.
I prefer separate. When your coffeemaker craps out, it stinks to lose a built-in working grinder that you've paid for.

Just grind the beans and pour the ground coffee in the basket before you go to bed. The fact that you're leaving the water inside of the coffeemaker overnight kind of negates the purpose of grinding the coffee fresh, anyway. Fresh cold water is the biggest factor of all when it comes to good coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I prefer separate. When your coffeemaker craps out, it stinks to lose a built-in working grinder that you've paid for.

Just grind the beans and pour the ground coffee in the basket before you go to bed. The fact that you're leaving the water inside of the coffeemaker overnight kind of negates the purpose of grinding the coffee fresh, anyway. Fresh cold water is the biggest factor of all when it comes to good coffee.
does water go bad after sitting out for 8 hours?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

Well, you have to make some sacrifices if you want your coffee ready when you get out of bed.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well, you have to make some sacrifices if you want your coffee ready when you get out of bed.
I wasn't attempting to be sarcastic. I apologize if you've construed it that way. The point i was trying to make was that fresh cold water takes precedence over freshly ground beans.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
does water go bad after sitting out for 8 hours?
No. But, it won't taste as good as freshly drawn will. Drink a fresh glass, and then fill a glass of water and leave it out for 8 hours. Then, go back and chill it and drink it. I think you'll note a difference between the 2.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:44 AM

4 posts, read 14,020 times
Time has passed since this thread was first started. I owned the T/Braun older model for well over a year, and recently upgraded to the T-65/Bosch model. My son happily took ownership of my older Braun Tassimo which was still going strong. Bosch did an excellent job of redesigning the T-65 to correct the weaknesses of the older Braun. In my opinion after experiencing a Keurig for a period of time, the Tassimo outperforms the Keurig in the resultant quality of the coffee brewed. I prefer a coffee to be full bodied, have depth, and taste like the coffee it is suppose to brew, and Tassimo delivers. Plus I have the diversitality of making milk based drinks -- such as cappucinos, expressos, cremas, and lattes. Yep, you can get that layered look with a Tassimo too if that what you are shooting for. The tassimo is easy to clean, in the time it takes to brew a cup of coffee you can descale your machine, and push out the nozzle for cleaning after making a cup of cappucino. Very easy and quick. Much easier and quicker than cleaning a frother. In regard to the degradation of coffee grinded, yes that happens to a certain degree. And it happens after buying freshly roasted coffee beans which I do. I always vaccum pack freshly roasted coffee beans in smaller quantities and place in a brown paper bag to slow down the degradation from air and light knowing to some extent it is still going to occur. Yes, besides the Tassimo, I have two other coffee makers designed for different types of coffees and two different grinders, along with a good quality Grind & Brew machine. When and If Tassimo decides to market a good quality Kona and a good quality Mountain Blue T-disk, I'll put all that other equipment in storage. Although the coffee for the T-disks are indeed grinded, the coffee is placed in vacum packed disks. The quality of the Tassimo coffee compares more favorably to coffees brewed by other single serve machines.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:13 AM

50,364 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I would advise you NOT to buy a Tassimo Braun, I can't comment if the Bosch model is better. If you have softened water, the Tassimo will not work unless you run it through a Briita filter first.
I feel most of our trouble is caused by our softened water, so maybe with city water there is no issue.
Our machine broke 3x within the 2 year warranty. Tassimo's customer service has been exemplary and so if you have a problem they will try hard to solve it.
The varieties of pods for the Tassimo is good and the coffee quality is good, too. I might try a Keurig next time my Tassimo breaks (and it will).

Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 PM

58 posts, read 92,498 times
Default coffee maker recommendation?

I have a reputation for "killing" coffee makers. This last time I got a Hamilton Beach Brew Station (the kind where there's no caraffe, you just push your mug into a lever and it dispenses) at a garage sale for $15.00. I loved it, and it has lasted almost two years! But, may it rest in peace.... Do you love your long-lasting, SIMPLE coffee maker? I don't want anything fancy; no grinders or espresso machines, not too expensive. One that keeps it hot for hours and brews quickly. Any recommendations? Did you get it on the internet? Where? Thanks!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Keurig K-Cup Coffee makers!!

Keurig!!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:30 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,303 times
I just use Mr. Coffee. Nothing fancy, brews a good cup of coffee at least for me.

My DS loves his Keurig, in fact, he's on his second one. I didn't think it was all that. My coffee was in a mug and only 1/2 full. Obviously, you need the correct size cup to get a full cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink