Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times

Advertisements

I just got home from a gourmet food market here in New Jersey. I was originally looking for higher quality tea than Lipton. However, I noticed they had tea bags of yerba mate. I remember my spanish professor in college bringing back yerba mate from his trip in Argentina. We drank it out of the gourd. One I didn't like but one was delicious. I cannot remember (this was at least 10 years ago) how it was made. I would like to know two things...What is the proper way to make yerba mate in Argentina even if I do not have the gourd? Secondly, is there any other proper way to make yerba mate? (I got the mate in tea bags). I just made a cup of mate and put milk in it. I do not think Argentines do it that way, but does that matter as long as I get the stimulation effect (from the caffinee)? Is it true mate is more stimulating than coffee without the negative side effects? Please explain since there was scant information on the box the bags came with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 AM

191 posts, read 698,101 times
My mom is from Brasil and I remember she would always prepare mate in the gourd growing up - she served it with sugar and milk. I have both this tea in bags and the loose tea and will say they don't taste anything like eachother - you need the loose tea to get the authentic taste. I don't have a gourd either so I make it one of two ways - in a tea pot/press that has a strainer in it or pour some into a coffee filter, seal the top with a rubber band (washed) and throw it into a big pot of boiling water. If you want the gourd and spoon - you can get them on Amazon.

As far as the caffeine effect - I'm very sensitive to caffeine and did notice a reaction to it when I drank almost a whole pot of tea (funny tummy) but didn't get the extreme high blood pressure and racing heart that I do with some other teas I've tried.

From Wikipedia:

Comparison of effects with coffee

Mate's negative effects are anecdotally claimed to be of a lesser degree than those of coffee, though no explanation for this is offered or even credibly postulated, except for its potential as a placebo effect. Some users report that drinking yerba mate does not prevent them from being able to fall asleep, as is often the case with some more common stimulating beverages, while still enhancing their energy and ability to remain awake at will.

However, the net amount of caffeine in one preparation of yerba mate is typically quite high, in large part because the repeated filling of the mate with hot water is able to extract the xanthines very effectively. It is for this reason that one mate may be shared among several people and yet produce the desired stimulating effect in all of them.

From reports of personal experience with mate, its physiological effects are similar to (yet distinct from) more widespread caffeinated beverages like coffee, tea, or guarana drinks. Some users report a mental state of wakefulness, focus and alertness reminiscent of most stimulants, but often remark on mate's unique lack of the negative effects typically created by other such compounds, such as anxiety, "jitteriness", and heart palpitations.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
I'm still not entirely clear on the difference between mate and tea (I read the Wikipedia article). Does it just have to do with the specific plant? I remember drinking mate de coca in Peru, but remember several people calling it "tea".

Old 10-20-2009, 03:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Something else to try is yerba mate-flavored soda called Materva. You should be able to find it at any decently stocked Hispanic grocery store.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
This is the yerba mate I get:

Guayaki Organic Yerba Mate, sustainable, fair trade, kosher, rainforest grown, shade grown, energy drinks

Its fair trade and organic. I have a little gourd that I got from them too. I have not tried all the flavors. Just the regular.

Loose leaf tea of any type is going to be the higher quality tea generally. The bagged is the "shake" from the more premium loose leaf.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
This is the yerba mate I get:

Guayaki Organic Yerba Mate, sustainable, fair trade, kosher, rainforest grown, shade grown, energy drinks

Its fair trade and organic. I have a little gourd that I got from them too. I have not tried all the flavors. Just the regular.

Loose leaf tea of any type is going to be the higher quality tea generally. The bagged is the "shake" from the more premium loose leaf.
That's what I use, too. I actually have a small french press at work that me and a manager share. Coffee gets old after a while, so it's a nice change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink