Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM

612 posts, read 1,837,365 times

Advertisements

Hello, everone.

I love food! Any kind of food really. But I have yet in my 20 years of existence ate sushi!

Now, I have a lunch date tomorrow and it's a Chinese place with sushi. If it's any help it's at Fortune Wok... not sure if it's a local joint or national chain.

Anyway, I know I'm not allergic to it so that's good. How does it taste? Spicy? If so, I can handle it... What should I order as a starter so I can get an idea on how it tastes before I decide to get something that is really "up there". Basically any information on sushi is welcome... Sorry if I don't make any sense.

Thanks

Johnny B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
Sorry I can't help. I'm over three times your age and only use it for fish bait.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,026,620 times
Oh Nomad

You should start will a California Roll (maki is a roll). It is all cooked. It will have crab or imitation crab meat, avocado and cucumber. It is rolled in sushi rice and toasted seaweed. The only thing that might be spicy is the green stuff which is Japanese horseradish or wasabi. You can take some wasabi and dissolve in your soy sauce too.

Sushi means with rice and sashimi means without rice.

A maki means it's a roll.

Nigri is usually a piece of fish on top of rice. There is usually two to an order.

There are plenty of beginner sushi for you to try. Just tell the sushi chef and he can guide you.

If you ever walk into a sushi bar and smell something "fishy", you need to walk out. Good quality sushi should be a "fresh" taste.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,499,295 times
start off w/ California rolls or other rolls that have cooked stuff in them, like tempura shrimp and stuff.

I like mine just dipped in soy, or if it's tuna w/ wasabi and soy or ponzu.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:21 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,026,620 times
The Sushi FAQ - Sushi for Beginners - Trying Sushi For The First Time

Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,863,923 times
I think you should try eel. It really tastes like chicken, only softer.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM

After reading these responses and that link, this is going to be one helluva expensive date lol... Thanks.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:50 PM

32,757 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Tap dancing around the sushi menu...smoked salmon, so not really raw. Crab and shrimp are usually steamed. California roll, no raw fish in that. Tamago is cooked egg. There are also some vegetable sushi rolls with avocado and such.

If you'd like to jump in and try something a bit more daring, I'd suggest the very popular tuna roll. Yellowtail, Hamachi is also a safe bet; it has a very mild taste. Add a bit of wasabi, the green stuff which is hot, if you'd like and dip the corner in soy sauce.

Note: it is socially acceptable to eat a piece of sushi with your hands. A piece of sushi is two bites for most people. Pick it up, dip the corner in soy sauce if you wish, bite off half. http://www.12ozprophet.com/images/up...ushi02_600.jpg

If you are not proficient with chopsticks, you may pick up a piece of a roll using your fingers. http://www.caloriesetc.com/wp-conten..._hossomaki.jpg

Do not pick up sashimi, pieces of raw fish, with your fingers. http://stevesayskanpai.files.wordpre...shimi-main.jpg

Have a japanese beer or some sake; everything will go down easier.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Tap dancing around the sushi menu...smoked salmon, so not really raw. Crab and shrimp are usually steamed. California roll, no raw fish in that. Tamago is cooked egg. There are also some vegetable sushi rolls with avocado and such.

If you'd like to jump in and try something a bit more daring, I'd suggest the very popular tuna roll. Yellowtail, Hamachi is also a safe bet; it has a very mild taste. Add a bit of wasabi, the green stuff which is hot, if you'd like and dip the corner in soy sauce.

Note: it is socially acceptable to eat a piece of sushi with your hands. A piece of sushi is two bites for most people. Pick it up, dip the corner in soy sauce if you wish, bite off half. http://www.12ozprophet.com/images/up...ushi02_600.jpg

If you are not proficient with chopsticks, you may pick up a piece of a roll using your fingers. http://www.caloriesetc.com/wp-conten..._hossomaki.jpg

Do not pick up sashimi, pieces of raw fish, with your fingers. http://stevesayskanpai.files.wordpre...shimi-main.jpg

Have a japanese beer or some sake; everything will go down easier.
Reps for the impressive and imformative post! Thanks... I do not know how to use chopsticks... something she can teach me.

If only I could have a beer but I'm only 20.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,877,412 times
I would also suggest starting with a california roll, then perhaps on to a spicy tuna roll, maybe some crab sticks. If that goes over well, you can start to experiment with soft shell crab in rolls, things like that. I've been out with a group of friends that always orders the mystery platter, definitely not something I would recommend unless you really trust who you're dining with.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink