U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 08:14 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,766,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I don't know what got into me today... I made crawfish rangoons for a party tomorrow, and had a half pound of crawfish tail meat leftover.

Logical conclusion?

Cajun crawfish mac and cheese in a lobster sauce thickened with a bacon roux, topped with four cheeses, bread crumbs, and crisped bacon.

DH will be very happy to see my banquet days coming back to haunt me. Bacon, cream, and cheese, what's not to love?

The brie and balsamic onion puffs and crawfish rangoons (plus whatever other hor douevres get brought to the party) tomorrow definitely will not help the waistlines. Salads for lunch maybe?
Please, post a recipe for the cheese puffs and rangoons????? Please?????

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,766,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Pork chops browned in the skillet, finished with white wine in the oven, baked sweet potatoes, broccoli sauteed with olive oil and garlic, red velvet cake.
Dinner was insanely good, if I do say so myself! I reduced the wine, added flour and browned, then added heavy cream to make gravy, OMG!!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,550,122 times
Quote:
Please, post a recipe for the cheese puffs and rangoons????? Please?????
Cheese puffs:

Balsamic Onions:
Half an onion, slivered into thin strands
About two tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pat of butter
Two teaspoons sugar (or to taste)

Caramelize the onion in the butter over medium heat until lightly golden, then deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar. Reduce heat to low, add sugar, and stir until the vinegar turns into a sticky glaze. Cool.

Putting it all together:
1 half pound wheel of brie, rind removed and cheese sliced into 1/4 inch cubes
1 pack puff pastry
Balsamic onions, above
One egg beaten with a bit of water
Kosher salt/sesame/poppy seeds/other decoration

Slice puff pastry into roughly 2inch by 2inch squares (I used the fold marks on the puff pastry as a rough measurement). On one corner of each square, place a few cubes of brie and top with the onions. Fold over the opposite corner to make a triangle. (The way I do it is by not bringing the corner all the way to line up with the edge, but a little bit short. Then I bring the bottom edge to fold over the top of the pastry, which seals it in nicely and makes a nice little rim) Arrange on parchment paper on a cookie sheet to prevent sticking.

Wash the tops of the pastries with a little water/beaten egg mixture, sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt or seeds, and bake at 400 degrees till golden..about ten minutes for me. Try to let them cool before eating...but that didn't happen here!

Crawfish Rangoons

1/2 cup crawfish tailmeat, roughly chopped
1 8oz block softened cream cheese
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 scant tablespoon sugar (or to taste, some people like it sweeter)
1 pack of wonton wrappers

Oil heated to 375 degrees/deep fryer

Mix all the ingredients together, then chill. Once it's firmed up a bit, lay out your wonton wrappers and spoon a bit of filling into each one (as much as you want, as long as they'll close!) and seal with a little bit of water spread around the edges. Any shape you want, though I use the circular wontons and just make half circles for ease.

Fry until golden brown on the outside, and serve with hot chinese mustard. I think you might be able to bake them as well, but I've never tried. I like 'em fried.

Hope you enjoy! I threw those two recipes together specifically for this party and they've been a hit so far...I'm sure they're going to be holiday staples from now on.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:48 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,550,122 times
Quote:
Dinner was insanely good, if I do say so myself! I reduced the wine, added flour and browned, then added heavy cream to make gravy, OMG!!!!!!!!
Omg that does sound good...

Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 PM

580 posts, read 839,295 times
Salmon with olives pate and pesto.
Much less fancy than it sounds. Pretty quick too. While heating a little oil in the pan, I put a few green and black olives in the blender with fresh basil, 2 cloves of garlic and little olive oil (drizzle the olive oil slowly so it doesn't break). Blend it to a paste.

When the oil is hot add the salmon (I buy the big salmon and cut the filets, I used two filets for this). Brown each side, 2 minutes each, then roughly break the filets with a wooden spoon (that way they will mix better than the paste and pesto.
After 3 minutes add two tablespoon of pesto and the paste, stir to mix.
After another 5 minutes it should be done, squeeze fresh lemon juice and if you want add a touch of fresh parsley (I did).
I served it with mixed greens salad.
This is a tasty food that is also pretty healthy and light. The whole thing takes about 20 minutes from prep to end so it can be easily done during week nights.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 PM

8,093 posts, read 12,801,187 times
I had an omelet.
In a restaurant.
(For those of you following the food safety thread, LOL!)

Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 PM

2,374 posts, read 5,254,463 times
Tonight is Pumpkin Soup

Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,762,806 times
Ribeyes & corn on the cob. It was so-so because the steaks were pan fried instead of grilled.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:48 AM

3,994 posts, read 5,922,879 times
BBQ sandwich with potato salad and baked beans with an iced tea....

Old 10-31-2009, 07:54 AM

51,696 posts, read 12,698,538 times
Since it's Halloween and we are expecting some ghosts and goblins to knock on the door and I won't have time to cook, pizza is on the menu followed by the movie called "Pumpkinhead."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink