Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

Moose, somewhere I have a recipe for Pumpkin Green Apple soup.
I know it sounds wretched, but you'd be surprised--the apple adds a nice tanginess.

I tried Mango Gelato and it was absolutely delicious. So fruity and creamy, all at the same time. Too bad it is $12 a pint.
Maybe I could make my own.

Plaid, I've had that wine before, and it is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Butternut Squash curried soup. I have always been reluctant with Pumpkin and Squashes and usually find them quite bland and boring but this was one of the nicest soups I had had in years. I shall put my prejudices aside from now on and embrace the Squash family fully ! Still not a fan of Pumpkin pie though...
I hate pumpkin pie. I thought I was the only one. But I love pumpkin (and squash) soup. I'm glad I'm not alone.

I also hate sweet potoatoes when cooked "sweet"; in pies, or that nasty dish with the marshmallows. Ick. But I love them roasted with a little olive oil and sea salt, or baked spicy with black-eyed peas and kale.

I too add a tart apple (granny smith--peeled and diced) to my winter squash soups. Adds just a nice hint of tang, without sweetness.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Pesto in a jar. I use it as a base for pasta dishes of all sorts. There is a green one that is basil based and a red one that is sun dried tomato based. Both make some awesome pasta sauces.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:23 AM

497 posts, read 1,176,398 times
Panko. I wonder what I did without it all these years.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,848 times
I tried almond butter for the first time a few months ago. I am addicted to it!! I just eat it out of the jar with a spoon!
It's also good spread on those rye crisp breads with some sliced banana, or I dip honey pretzels in it, also! Yum-O!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I thought it would be fun to hear about foods/dishes you tried for the first time recently.

I found out I love dried garlic cloves! One of our stores has lots of dried vegetables ("chips"), I like most of them, esp the okra, green beans and carrot, but the garlic are the best! They have a little oil and salt for flavor, and I could eat them like popcorn

My other new thing is mixing orange koolaid with orange juice, about 60/40. Tastes like an Orange Julius

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Guanciale - cured, seasoned pig jowl. Like bacon, but lighter, and at the same time richer. It has an intense flavor, but it isn't smoked.

It took my already excellent spaghetti carbonara to a whole new level.

Also, not really new, but I tried making pierogis from scratch the other day, and hot damn that was good. A lot of work, but it really hit all the right marks as far as being something that was comfort food and an excellent use of leftovers, all while being new and exciting to the family.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I tried almond butter for the first time a few months ago. I am addicted to it!! I just eat it out of the jar with a spoon!
It's also good spread on those rye crisp breads with some sliced banana, or I dip honey pretzels in it, also! Yum-O!!!!
Try some smeared on a Honey-Crisp or Fuji apple sometime too!
Addictivvvvve.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,848 times
I will have to try that! sounds good, and a healthy, filling snack, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Try some smeared on a Honey-Crisp or Fuji apple sometime too!
Addictivvvvve.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Long Island Bagels! (ok it was late last year)

Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
smoked oysters were okay... looked like tiny chicken livers (which I love) so i tried them. they were actually good & would be a good snack if no one else is impacted by the odor.
Try stuffing them in cherry tomatoes, preferably from the garden. If you have to use the tasteless grocery tomatoes then cut a little pocket in each tomato and toss them in your favorite dressing before stuffing the oysters in. Tuck a little feta inside too. The sharpness plays against the smoke and you have the freshness of the tomato too. Or use a dressing with feta. It's an easy, cheap party hors d'oeuvre. (And the smell is masked.)

I tried a rose petal jam. Very nice though I'm not into sweets. Halloween! Ugh! I think it would be a good glaze for chicken. Also, I finally got a power juicer. Ginger juice I've been using to spike up all kinds of concoctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink