Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 12:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

For the longest time, Friday has been Italian, Saturday peanut butter wok stew, and Sunday bouillabaisse.

Doesn't mean I can't eat those themes on other days.....but perhaps I shouldn't. Ie, had a wonderful spaghetti on Thursday with a catfish-white wine-chedder sauce, served with croutons...and woke up full of anxiety (think I was more dehydrated). If I'm going to cook like that, then perhaps I should do it on nights I don't have to go to work.

So suggestions for the other days of the week.....recognizing that they are busy and I can't or shouldn't spend 3-4 hours for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 03:13 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
my son starts a new college semester very soon, he shares/rents a house with 2 other students.
they all work out, are in the health professions, and strive to eat very healthy

the first time I visited, they had much fruit and veggies in the fridge, and if they had any meat it was extra lean sliced turkey sandwich meats ...

the second time I visited, I saw more chicken nuggets/wings and burger , in the fridge, then they asked the similar question- they wanted high protein, low carb diets (and little sugar)
what was happening,,, is they all were so busy, no one was cooking, and they'd end up ordering pizza a lot!

so, I made a meal planner , but also looked at some grocery store flyers to see what was on sale and how to cook them
this sales flyer had whole chickens on sale for .99lb so I suggested to buy a few , these are very easy to bake, and pick at for days, you can also make chicken sandwiches,
same with pork roasts- I suggested they look up on youtube how to cook any roast- one asked about pulled pork, I showed him what to buy in the flyer (pork butt) and how to use their slow cooker..
also the same cooking method with a chuck roast

so last yr, this got them in the habit on sundays- looking at all the grocery store flyers to see whats on sale
and planning ahead - they actually liked roasts and turkeys/chickens because even tho it took a while to cook,,, planning ahead, they were studying while it was cooking, and the house would smell good
also how to cook eggs 5 different ways and eggs are cheap

and on days they were too busy to cook- they had something to pick at or make a quick sandwich

they bought fruit and veggies on sale too- one item they all liked was the mixed greens in the re-sealable plastic containers

also showed them how to make french-fries from potatos and sweet potatos, and how to make their own pizzas

planning ahead, and watching the grocery store sale items , saved them time and money

Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Very informative, thank you!

That, however, is not quite my issue. About the only eating out I do is the Chinese buffet which is no more than once a week but is often 2-4 weeks apart.

Eating off what's in the house generally isn't a problem. I may be at a loss at what to eat, perhaps because I had my salad for the day and I'm tired of Moors & Christians, but generally, I won't starve.

No, what I was looking for was day meal themes.

As I said, Friday is my Italian night. Now, in the past, I did pizza on that night and for many years, it was from scratch. But I got lazy, bought store pizza or delivery....and ate far more than I should have. I am now getting back into the habit of making pizza (harder to overeat when each made pizza is not only a labor in love, but also takes considerable time)....but it is easier to make pasta.

Saturday is peanut butter wok day. I use peanut butter for the base of my spices and add from there.

Sunday is bouillabaisse.....generally because I need to reset my sleep clock and get some hours in bed before work at midnight.

Up to now, M-Th has been catch as catch can. I have pretty much programmed out (or blocked) my use of comfort or decandent eating. Ie, get in the mood after work, go to the store, buy a steak, go home and cook it in white wine, Roulette cheese, serve it on rice. If I am going to cook grand like that, I do it with what I have in the house.

I don't know......maybe on Thursday I might want to go for Greek, like a wonderful Greek salad. Something that thrills, excites the senses, but keeps me from trying to celebrate the start of the weekend one day early. Tuesday and Thursday I have dance in the evening....which I haven't made yet as I try to adjust my schedule.

So what would you suggest for eating themes? Just one thing, I don't watch TV so anything like "Do this because such and such is on that night!"......has no meaning to me.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:03 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So what would you suggest for eating themes?
Sorry, no help. I don't eat in themes. I eat whatever I'm in the mood for or whatever I have the ingredients for. I'm not really sure why themes are necessary.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Well, one night could be breakfast (waffles, pancakes, sausage egg cheese casserole, bacon and eggs).
One night could be salad supper (Greek, southwest, etc).
One night could be truck stop/diner food (meatloaf, beef stew, mac & cheese).
Southern food night (shrimp & grits, fried chicken, fried catfish or grouper po' boys).
Northern food night (baked beans, hot dogs, clam chowder, American Chop Suey).
Pretend it's a Holiday night (Turkey and stuffing, Ham and cheese potatoes, Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink