Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:51 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times

Advertisements

Pyrex: Why Pyrex Bowls "Explode"

Pyrex Panic: Shrapnel in the Kitchen

Who would imagine? I would because I was at a woman's home years ago, and she had Vision wear saucepan on her stove, and when I walked out of the room it exploded. When we both came into the room it was filled with amber colored b-b sized glass. Can you imagine what it would be like if I hadn't left the room.

And I lived by Pyrex until I began reading this website.

They have a long list of complaints sent in that you can read. This also goes for the Anchor that is sold"

Read more: Pyrex Panic: Shrapnel in the Kitchen

Kelly, of Bishop, Ga., wrote to us in December: "I purchased a 13x9 Pyrex baking dish as part of a 4-piece set from my local Wal-Mart. The very next day I used the dish to cook chicken and stuffing at 375 degrees. I took the dish out and set it on a towel on top of my counter. The dish promptly exploded, sending shards all over my kitchen."

Consumer complaints about Anchor Hocking Cookware this is the comsumers complaining.

This stuff just doesn't break, which is what I would expect if you put a hot baking dish from the oven to the dish water. It explodes, and I don't care what the pyrex people say, it does explode. it goes everywhere in one big blast. After reading about it I decided against all glass bakeware, even corning. It will even explode in your cupboard as some people have learned.

Exploding glassware? - Cookware - Chowhound

so what am I replacing it with? cast iron. the make pie and cake pans as well as roasting dishes that are rectangular. I am not one to use teflon, or other newer type products and actually always thought that Pyrex was safe and have used it for over 40 years. It is the newer stuff that is blowing up. How new? I have no idea, but the saucepan that blew up did so in 1988 or so.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-14-2009 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
This happened to my grandma, at least it was still in the oven when it happened so the glass didn't go all over her apartment!

Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
I had a Pyrex baking dish shatter when I set it down on a tile counter top.
I thought it was probably because of the temperature difference of the hot dish and cold tile.
That was a couple years ago, and since then I have always put hot dishes on a cork trivet.

But, a couple of weeks ago I had one shatter when I took it out of the oven and was still holding it.
My hand was protected by the oven glove, and luckily I was standing over the sink so there was not much mess to clean up, but of course I lost what I was cooking.

I didn't think much about it and figured it must have been a flaw or a small crack in the dish.
But after reading the articles about similar, and worse, things happening with Pyrex, I realize that it's just another case of a once great product that has fallen victim to "Profit over Quality".

Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
Someday maybe i will have all cast iron or some other healthy product. of course one can always go to yard sales for old pyrex, but how would you know if it were old? I noticed that my old loaf pans say microwave safe. I then thought anything before that. I have learned that while heavy, cast iron is wonderful. I bake meatloafs in the large frying pans, and if i don't get my cast iron roasting pan in the mail before thanksgiving, i will bake a chicken in the largest. the roasting pan is something like 9 by 15, great for enchiladas and lasagna, etc. I have yet to try a cake in a skillet, but I am not much of a cake baker. I have a very, very old glass pie pan that I will use for a pie. And the reason I know it is old is because it is smaller than the newer ones and has a funny pattern on the bottom.

But your stories and others horrify me. What I basically think about is this: I only see good out of one eye, so what if a glass pan exploded and hit my other eye, well. Plus getting cut has never been my cup of tea. I remember as a child my sister would throw the butcher knifes in the dishwater, and i would get cut. where was my mom to stop her? To this day I am very careful with butcher knives.

Thanks for your posts.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
I had a Black & Decker countertop oven with a glass door and that door exploded also, so it is not just cook ware that will explode. The oven I had was less that a year old so B&D sent me a replacement oven but I am scared of it now.

I also had a regular oven door do the same thing many years ago.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:01 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Happened to my Mom when she was a teenager and she got glass stuck all in her legs. I want to say my grandparents sued Pyrex for her medical bills, but I'm not sure.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:07 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times
One of my friends sent me an email about the new cheaper Pyrex being sold. I don't use a lot of glass bakeware. When I was 18 and living on my own for the first time, I had an Anchor Hocking glass 9 x 13 pan break while I washing it and it cut my arm and I had to have stitches. I was home alone and didn't have a car or a phone, so it was quite scary! I guess I've been leery of glass bakeware ever since.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Mine went on a burner that I didn't realize was still on, and shattered. I don't remember what it was I ws trying to make at the time. All I can really remember now is how it shattered, and I couldn't eat what I made.

I've also seen them shatter when having hot liquids poured into them.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Probably cheap crap made in China.

At least it's better that the breakage is obvious. If it just cracked and left a little spear of glass in the food that someone ate...

Old 11-15-2009, 02:10 PM

328 posts, read 1,539,764 times
wow Laura, were you cooking something in that or what was occuring before that happened? Was your kitchen hot or cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink