U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 04:52 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,710,379 times

Advertisements

Welcome Fondue Lovers!

I have all the fondue equipment & I'm dying to try it out. I'd like to cook meat dishes. Maybe seafood, like shrimp, as well. I'm not a great cook & my hope is that this will be something I can't go wrong with!

My favorite fondue fantasies are to use it for snacking, a casual dinner, a small dinner party, or for a holiday meal.

If you have any tips, anecdotes, recipes, photos or links you'd like to share: please do!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,582,673 times
Oh Oh! I have one!

1 cup Nutella
1 cup heavy cream

dip strawberries, bananas, biscotti, marshmallows, etc...

Enjoy!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Oh Oh! I have one!

1 cup Nutella
1 cup heavy cream

dip strawberries, bananas, biscotti, marshmallows, etc...

Enjoy!
Fantastic & I can't burn the house down *L* Thank you, Sophialee!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:03 PM

7,307 posts, read 6,902,977 times
Hi Sarahkate!

Since you're new to fondue cooking, I'd start out buying pre-made dipping sauces and/or drawn butter. Eventually you may want to move to mixing up your own sauces, but there are so many great options out there, it's one less thing to worry about.

I recommend prepping as much as possible either in the morning or the day before. Fondue seems like an easy thing to do, but there is actually quite a bit of prep work involved. You'll want to season your meat (except for salt, which will draw moisture out of the meat -- add that just before serving) and let it "marinate" in the fridge. Cut up all the vegetables you'll be using, decide which sauces will best complement what you're serving, and so forth.

You can stick to a simple, one-course broth or oil fondue meal or make multiple courses of cheese fondue first, then broth or oil, then chocolate for dessert. We've stopped using oil fondues at all because they aren't as healthy as the broth fondues, but part of the fun of oil fondues is also the breading and dipping, so that will be a personal choice (and one more thing you have to prep for!).

The fondue restaurants I've been to, serve the dipping sauces in "community" dishes that have to be passed around. I found this to be kind of a pain, so I bought plates that have wells for different sauces built right in, which work really well. Many fondue plates have sections for sauces, but not for where to put your food once you've cooked it and want to cut it up or let it cool before you eat it, so my plates also allow for that, which also affords me the ability to serve a side dish like rice or potatoes to go along with the meats and veggies everyone will be cooking themselves.

As you can see from this pic, I put extra sauce in the smaller dishes for that meal, but I found that the wells in the plates were already sufficient, so now I use those small, oval plates to put each person's servings of meats, and place them at the top of the main plate so we aren't passing plates of raw meat around the table.

It's time for me to leave work now, so I'll wrap up here. Thanks for letting me know about this thread!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:45 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,656,028 times
Not sure where my book is for sauces is but if I find it I will post. We used to do this when the kids were little for New Years Eve, They loved it. We did steak, shrimp,and even hot dogs with a corn bread batter. What ever they wanted to try we did it.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Hi Sarahkate!

Since you're new to fondue cooking, I'd start out buying pre-made dipping sauces and/or drawn butter. Eventually you may want to move to mixing up your own sauces, but there are so many great options out there, it's one less thing to worry about.

I recommend prepping as much as possible either in the morning or the day before. Fondue seems like an easy thing to do, but there is actually quite a bit of prep work involved. You'll want to season your meat (except for salt, which will draw moisture out of the meat -- add that just before serving) and let it "marinate" in the fridge. Cut up all the vegetables you'll be using, decide which sauces will best complement what you're serving, and so forth....
Hi Jill! Wow, you're a doll! Your table looks beautiful! Thanks for the marvelous tips! Thanks for coming over to the Fonue thread!

Kate

Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Not sure where my book is for sauces is but if I find it I will post. We used to do this when the kids were little for New Years Eve, They loved it. We did steak, shrimp,and even hot dogs with a corn bread batter. What ever they wanted to try we did it.
Thanks, Chile, for coming over to visit. Looking forward to your sauce ideas! I'm not a good cook, but my daughter is. If I can get her interested in this (she rolls her eyes over my collection of fondue equipment & serving dishes) - she'll help me with the complex things.

Have a great week, everyone!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,150,620 times
I'd like to learn more about throwing a fondue party too. Post away experts!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,307,282 times
I bought my first fondue pot over the summer, looks just like Jill's. I was so excited - I LOVE fondue (or at least the thought of it), yet it took this long for me to buy a set.

My biggest problem was that the cord kept falling off (it's a loose magnetic connection) and the cheese sauce I made from scratch began congealing- and once that process began, it was all downhill. No amount of whisking helped. It never really looked right (though it tasted great at first).

Of course, now I realize I should've made the sauce on the stove and THEN put it in the fondue pot. So, that's my tip - don't make the sauces IN the pot- make them in a double boiler on the stovetop and just use the fondue pot for serving... I wish just ONE of the recipes I'd read had said that before attempt #1.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 AM

3,852 posts, read 8,021,765 times
I grew up having fondue parties about twice a year. We only did oil fondue, though. Here's how we did it:

Batter consists of:
1 C flour
1 C ice water
1 egg
pinch salt
Beat until blended, may be slightly chunky

We dip sliced potatoes, beef chunks, chicken chunks, 'lil smokies, hot dog slices, sliced onions, cauliflower, and mushrooms in the batter than in the hot oil. A1 sauce is my favorite to eat the fried foods with after they've cooled.

It's so horrible for you health-wise, but it's a nice rare treat I still enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink