Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,263 times

Advertisements

Last night I made Rachael Ray's Wild Mushroom Barley Soup, which calls for kale. I've never eaten kale and was reluctant to try it, because even though I love spinach, I can't stand collard greens -- they're way too bitter for me. I thought about substituting spinach, but then bucked up and made myself try it. It was SO good! Even my husband asked what the greens were in the soup because they were so delicious.

I also tried bok choy a few weeks ago for the first time (can't recall the recipe at the moment). I'm almost embarrassed to say that I never even knew that bok choy was a cabbage! Also yummy!

So what's the last new food you've tried, and did you like it or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Hmmm...last time I ate something I haven't tried before (getting very difficult for me to do, as I will try anything and everything!) would probably have been September, in Ireland. I had battered, deep-fried haggis.

It was delicious.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 AM

497 posts, read 1,176,104 times
I grew up in the South eating catfish at nearly every meal except breakfast. We were poor and fish was plentiful. By the time I was a teenager, I swore fish would never pass my lips again. Even the smell made me woozy.

Well, the other night at dinner with friends, she ordered seared Mahi Mahi. Usually, I just hate it when dinner companions order fish cuz I have to smell the nasty stuff. Well, the waitress set this plate down in front of my friend and not only did it not smell fishy, it actually looked good. I remarked on it and she (knowing of my fish aversion) encouraged me to try it.

It was delicious. We're going out this weekend and I fully intend to have the Mahi Mahi. I am also told swordfish and halibut are good.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60'sGal View Post
I grew up in the South eating catfish at nearly every meal except breakfast. We were poor and fish was plentiful. By the time I was a teenager, I swore fish would never pass my lips again. Even the smell made me woozy.

Well, the other night at dinner with friends, she ordered seared Mahi Mahi. Usually, I just hate it when dinner companions order fish cuz I have to smell the nasty stuff. Well, the waitress set this plate down in front of my friend and not only did it not smell fishy, it actually looked good. I remarked on it and she (knowing of my fish aversion) encouraged me to try it.

It was delicious. We're going out this weekend and I fully intend to have the Mahi Mahi. I am also told swordfish and halibut are good.
Mahi Mahi is really mild, I love it! I like it best blackened w/ a pineapple salsa...so yummy. Halibut is also very mild. Swordfish is a lot meatier than the other two, it's not my favorite. I bet you'd like Chilean Sea Bass too.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Mahi Mahi is really mild, I love it! I like it best blackened w/ a pineapple salsa...so yummy. Halibut is also very mild. Swordfish is a lot meatier than the other two, it's not my favorite. I bet you'd like Chilean Sea Bass too.
Barracuda is also quite good.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Barracuda is also quite good.
Barracuda is very good! Most people just don't eat it because you can get ciguatera poisoning and become very sick and possibly die.
The only reason I did eat it was because I was at a fish fry, behind a bar about 15 years ago and I didn't know that it was barracuda until after eating it. Barracuda and shark.....it was great!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,769 times
This year I tried smoked oysters. Surprisingly delish. I thought it would be snotty *L* or grisly.

They looked like tiny cooked chicken livers (which I love) so I hesitantly tried them. Mr. Boyfriend is always pushing his idea of yum on me. It rarely goes anywhere but this is a definite treat. Good protein!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:17 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
I tried boar last week in Hungary, it was pretty good. I had it in a stew with a "doughboy". I had a lot of new dishes, but that's the only food item that I had never eaten before.

Before that it would have been back in July when I went to Peru and tried alpaca and cuy (roasted guinea pig).

Old 11-17-2009, 12:24 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,263 times
I love smoked oysters. Yum!

I'll be sure to stay away from barracuda, though!

If it's available in your area, pompano is another really, really delicious fish. Unfortunately we don't seem to get it on the west coast.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Barracuda is very good! Most people just don't eat it because you can get ciguatera poisoning and become very sick and possibly die.
Only from large barracuda, because it takes a long time for them to build that up in their flesh (plus the toxin is concentrated in head, roe, and organs -- so just don't eat those parts!) If you eat 'em under about 24" in length, you have no more chance of being poisoned by your barracuda than anything else Of course, my recommendation means that you should either buy your barracuda whole, so you can see what size it is, or go catch it yourself. I prefer the latter, and have done so many times.

Oh, and if you're really afraid of ciguatera poisoning, there are test kits available. They take about an hour to test a fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink