U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:33 AM

497 posts, read 905,861 times

Advertisements

I am so mad! I was responsible for bringing the stuffing to a friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner. I bragged about my cornbread stuffing that includes sage sausage, onions, celery, and roasted corn kernels. It's usually really delicious. But this year, I made the mistake of buying a package of Pepperidge Farms cornbread stuffing mix as the base. This is a product I hadn't used before, so after opening I sniffed it to see what kind of spices it contained. It smelled faintly, but distinctly rancid. I didn't have anything else to use (no bread in the house, no time to buy more). I hoped all the additions would mask or dilute any off flavor. No, the moistness of the finished product seemed to actually intensify the rancid flavor. What should have been delicious was ruined.

The thing is, I don't understand why the stuffing mix was rancid. The sell by date was 4/2010 and, according to the label, it is loaded with preservatives. The only thing I can think of is that it was originally made with old corn meal or flour.

I remember reading (maybe on this forum, or maybe on Chowhound) that lots of purchased food was rancid and most people are used to it and don't recognize it as bad. But this is the first time I have noticed the problem.

Anyone else bought a dry preserved product well before it's sell by date and noticed it was already bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 02:23 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,866,183 times
Our Pepperidge Farms stuffing was rancid too- but it was dated 2007 YUCK! Almost didn't have any stuffing- only thing I didn't cook from scratch but found one bag of stove top in the cupboard that wasn't expired

Old 11-27-2009, 03:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,033,186 times
I bought some but didn't use it cause I found the one my mom uses "Mrs.Cubbison's" so I will now throw it out

Old 11-28-2009, 08:58 AM

I've used Stove Top and never had a real problem with it--just bit salty for my taste, so I thought I'd try something new. I do like Mrs. Cubbison's (also used by my mother), but stores in my present area don't carry it.

Next year I'll make the cornbread from scratch--that's what the food sites recommend and I guess there is a reason.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:02 AM

I guess what I would really like to know is: Are companies selling more flour/grain based products (crackers, cookies, cereals, stuffing mix, cake mix, etc.) that have been prepared with rancid ingredients? I would assume this would be an economical move for the company as they could buy in bulk cheaper ingredients--particularly if they think the consumer won't notice, maybe due to added sugar or spices.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 AM

6,766 posts, read 7,883,167 times
I've never used bagged stuffing. Just cut up bread, toast it in the oven and add herbs and the rest of your ingredients. It's definitely easy and probably cheaper.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 18 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,606 posts, read 6,492,402 times
Hmmm.....Our Pepperidge Farms stuffing was spectacular.....gotta make more today.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Hmmm.....Our Pepperidge Farms stuffing was spectacular.....gotta make more today.
I wonder if your stuffing came out of a different batch than mine did. Or maybe your taste buds are less sensitive to rancidity than mine.--Either way, I'm happy for you.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:43 AM

27,237 posts, read 27,295,624 times
I'm left wondering how a dried product can be rancid. Stale, I can see, but I don't understand how it would become rancid without dairy products within it.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm left wondering how a dried product can be rancid. Stale, I can see, but I don't understand how it would become rancid without dairy products within it.
The list of ingredients includes soy bean oil--which could have been the problem, but as this ingredient was low on the list. I'm somewhat doubtful that it was the problem.

But if you keep flour or other grains for too long at room temperature, they will develop a noticeable rancid flavor. A google search of "rancid flour" came up with several website that say that oils in grain and grain flours can lead to rancidity if they aren't properly stored. One site particularly mentioned cornmeal--a major ingredient in the cornbread stuffing mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink