Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times

Advertisements

Harry and David
Those gourmet caramel apples
Godiva or See's
I used to give this gourmet caramel popcorn that had caramelized nuts but the place went out of business I think
When I was younger I made different cookies and brownies and placed them in a basket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have heard that the crab cakes sold on QVC are very good.
Wow - there is no way I would ever send someone a crab cake that I didn't make myself. Food gifts are all about favorite personal/family recipes and love.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times
Cheese. A hard aged cheese that'll last me forever. I remember seeing a whole wheel of aged goat cheese in a window and trying to {{{{{psychically vibe}}}}} someone to spend the hundreds to make a gift of it to me. It's not like I wouldn't have shared a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit with my benefactor.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,833 times
Everybody is getting See's candies this year.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:50 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,643 times
I make homemade cookie and candy baskets to give to neighbors and close friends and some relatives. I might use baskets this year instead of boxes which I normally use. Also for some, they will get pans of fresh baked cinnamon rolls. The others will get fudge, English toffee, cookies of all sorts, caramels and pumpkin bread.

Each year the people look forward to getting these and as long as I am able to do this, I will continue to do this although it is tiring to make all of this stuff.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
Anything healthy and without sugar!

By the time X Mas rolls around, I already feel so bloated down in a sea of sugar, that I cannot even think of eating any X Mas goodies.

My clients always started gifting me candy, cocoa mix, and cookies, and cakes weeks before the holiday, and to be honest, I had to give away 90% of it every year. The thought of receiving any more sugar this time of year really makes me gag.

I have noticed this with other people at X Mas parties also. They do not even touch the expansive dessert table because they have already eaten so much junk at home, work and other parties, that they cannot stomach the thought of it.

I do like small loafs of banana breads, or other holiday breads - those go right into the freezer and can be eaten any time later in the year.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
I like to get/give Chocolate covered cherries, good ones. They're very holiday'ish to me and a bit different than just chocolates.

Years back, I used to make cookie plates, choc. chip (sometimes pistachio choc. chip cookies), sugar cookies/ w drizzle and nut cups.
Sometimes, fudge, too, depended on the year. But, now it's low key.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
i give venison, it can be deer or moose....always a welcome gift
yrs ago, my father use to bring venison steaks to grandmothers place at thanksgiving, she loved it-reminded her of her childhood

i also make bambi-balls... (meatballs) delicious!!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I make homemade cookie and candy baskets to give to neighbors and close friends and some relatives. I might use baskets this year instead of boxes which I normally use. Also for some, they will get pans of fresh baked cinnamon rolls. The others will get fudge, English toffee, cookies of all sorts, caramels and pumpkin bread.

Each year the people look forward to getting these and as long as I am able to do this, I will continue to do this although it is tiring to make all of this stuff.
Almost went into diabetic coma just reading this plus a few other posts. I love to bake but it is too hard not to try my own creations. I do break the rules and zap myself with extra insulin a few times during the holidays but this year I hope I can keep my resolve.

I remember a few years ago somebody wrote in to Ann Landers or Dear Abbey saying she didn't have money to buy gifts that Christmas and was wondering how to handle it when she received gifts. The columnist wrote that she could do some "lovely homemade baking of her favorite recipes and send them to her family and friends". Boy did that start a storm of mail and protests and to her credit, she admitted she was totally out of touch with the cost of nuts and baking ingredients, plus tins and shipping costs. To say noting of the time and energy to do all that baking.

I like getting homemade preserves, pickles, relishes, etc much more than baked items but my favorite is a wonderful basket of cheeses, crackers and summer sausage my daughter sends just days prior to her arrival and the whole family enjoys it over the holiday.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,721 times
Gethsemani Farms Kentucky Bourbon Fruitcake (I've loved it for over a decade. WSJ also says it's the best!)
(and their cheeses)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink