Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you usually buy?
Name brands 16 17.78%
Store brands 3 3.33%
Whichever is on sale/the cheapest 17 18.89%
Depends on the item 54 60.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I like the mom and pops that actually are creative. I have no use for those that are basically store fronts for Sysco or Ben E Keiths wholesalers. I will not go back to a mom and pop if their breakfast is frozen biscuits, canned gravy, preformed sausage patties, and ore Ida knockoff hash browns.
Same here.

Breakfast has been the hardest thing to find done well here. DH and I like to go out for breakfast on Saturday mornings, especially in the summer. We get up early, go work out, head to the farmers market, then go to breakfast. There's one local diner very near our local farmers market that has been there forever. All the old timers go there for coffee every day. We were excited to try it when we first moved here, but we were very disappointed. We went back several times, but every time it was just that, frozen biscuits etc. We finally gave up, and have been searching for a good local breakfast joint ever since. Lot's of great local places for burgers etc, but breakfast is lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:48 AM

20 posts, read 32,753 times
Do you think that " customers suggestions" make a difference, or they fall on deaf ears? I think they are crucial for independent stores.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Same here.

Breakfast has been the hardest thing to find done well here. DH and I like to go out for breakfast on Saturday mornings, especially in the summer. We get up early, go work out, head to the farmers market, then go to breakfast. There's one local diner very near our local farmers market that has been there forever. All the old timers go there for coffee every day. We were excited to try it when we first moved here, but we were very disappointed. We went back several times, but every time it was just that, frozen biscuits etc. We finally gave up, and have been searching for a good local breakfast joint ever since. Lot's of great local places for burgers etc, but breakfast is lacking.
its funny how difficult it can be for a place to make a good pancake. me and my wife will go out to breakfast once or sometimes twice in a weekend and we have tried most the local places. when all is said and done, IHOP does have the best pancakes. there is even a place called the middletown pancake house and their pancakes are tasteless. we have tried local diners and they arent as good as the local chains. so ihop is my favorite, perkins is up there and a small chain of about 5 or so locations which is a little bit of a nicer place called turning point would be number 3 favorite.

there is a nice indpendent by our summer place called uncle wills that has a nicer atmosphere but not as good food. i do like to go there when we spend the night in the off season.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM

149 posts, read 270,980 times
Default Do you ever buy the store brand food?

Most major grocery chains now have their own brand of food sitting right next to the original item. I notice Walmart has their 'Great Value' brand, and I've seen more and more over of it in the past year. There are many new prodcuts in direct competition with the name brand stuff.

I have a friend that doesn't trust any of it and refuses to buy it. She also thinks it is of an inferior quality. To some degree I agree. I mean I've never had an Oreo knock-off that was a good as the original. But for stuff like canned beans, I can't tell the difference. Do you buy the store brand items?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
It depends on the store and the item some are really good others are not good. I DO NOT shop for anything at Walmart if I can avoid it and DO NOT EVER shop Walmart for groceries. That being said the local grocery's I go to have more good products that are store brand than products that are not good so I can pick and choose as much as I want.

Technically "Oreo" is a KNOCK OFF of Hydrox and those were a much better cookie.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Most major grocery chains now have their own brand of food sitting right next to the original item. I notice Walmart has their 'Great Value' brand, and I've seen more and more over of it in the past year. There are many new prodcuts in direct competition with the name brand stuff.

I have a friend that doesn't trust any of it and refuses to buy it. She also thinks it is of an inferior quality. To some degree I agree. I mean I've never had an Oreo knock-off that was a good as the original. But for stuff like canned beans, I can't tell the difference. Do you buy the store brand items?
I know people who say that too. Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't notice a difference between store-brand ketchup or sour cream and a different brand. I'll buy whatever is cheaper unless I really like the more expensive one more.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
There are some products that I only purchase the label brand, like Ketchup, I only buy Heinz. That being said I do purchase store brands regularly and often find them to be equal or better in quality. One example is the Kroger brand of Honey Wheat bread. My family prefers it over the Harvest Selection or Sara Lee brands. I always use Showboat brand pork and beans when I make baked beans and I use store brand beans, tomato sauce, and tomatoes when I make chili.

As far as paper and non-food products, we use the Publix bathroom tissue and paper towels made from recycled paper. I always purchase Tide detergent, but I will get store brand bleach and fabric softner sheets. My family doesn't like store band body wash or shampoo.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I just bought since store brand beans and tomatoes last week. I usually use name brand but the store was nearly out because they had a sale. I was making a huge put of veggie chili, and I bought ingredients at two different stores.

I ended up using 2 cans of name brand beans and 3 cans of name bran whole tomatoes. I used several cans of two different store brand beans and tomatoes. This was a good opportunity to compare because I was opening all the cans at the same time.

When I opened the store brand beans I noticed that there was much more liquid to drain off. There w were measurably fewer beans in each can. The name brand beans had little liquid to drain and more beans. So even though the store brands cost less per can was it really a savings since more went down the drain and fewer beans into the chili?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I did all the time with Kroeger's or Special Select/Frys. Great quality and comparable. Depends on which store I guess. Not a fan of Walmarts brands.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Some store brands are better quality than the national brand - you'll only know if you try. In many cases, the store brands are packed by the same companies that pack for the name-brand labels. Some store cereals are every-bit-as-good-as. Detergents and general cleaners? Not a lot of difference except for the price.

Unless I know from someone who has already tried a particular item and found it lacking, I'm usually willing to give the store brand a shot. If it's unredeemably gross, I'm also willing to return it and ask for a refund. Generally, if an item is to be used as an ingredient and not on its own, I don't find a lot of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink