Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you usually buy?
Name brands 16 17.78%
Store brands 3 3.33%
Whichever is on sale/the cheapest 17 18.89%
Depends on the item 54 60.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Most of the time those store brands are made by the same companies that produce the name brands.
I used to work for an ice cream manufacturer (Nestle) and we'd make many no name brand products or local store brand product, only difference was labeling and butterfat content and with the turn of a dial more air could be whipped into the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM

14,770 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Often times, the store brand is just as good, if not better than the brand named item.
(Many times they are even made by the brand name company and relabeled for the store brand.
(You just aren't paying for the brand name, advertizing, etc.)
I like Krogers brands, and I even like (gasp, shock) Wal-mart's Great Value brand.
Trader Joe's....I mean come on now, does anything beat Trader Joe's brand??
I don't think so!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,917 times
I usually buy the store brand unless the name brand is on sale. I really like the whole kernal corn from Dollar General...it is small kernals and crisp. Ketchup is one thing which needs to be brand! I don't much like Great Value items from Walmart except I will buy the real bacon bits and great value blueberry and lemon muffins in a box. Lot of this aversion to Walmart items is because I think shopping at Walmart stinks....I do get my prescriptions there as our health insurance plan has a deal with them for all generic prescriptions, it's $5.00. Otherwise I don't shop there unless I'm really desperate....they have raised their prices so much over the last months for no reason. Walmart doesn't have the same purpose as it did when Sam Walton started it....he wanted to offer lower prices and great service and they offer neither of these now....it's now profit at any cost.....heck with the customer.

Aldi's items are typically good except I really don't like their pancake mix. And their canned dog food made my dog sick. The ice cream that Aldi's carries is really good.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM

149 posts, read 271,058 times
I think I read a while ago that Costco's Kirkland brand vodka is actaully Grey Goose. And their vodka is much cheaper, so if true, that's one heck of a bargin.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I buy very little of the "Great Value, Not" but was buying "Best Choice" in another location and now buy "Kroger" brands. Some are better. We liked the Chocolate Chip cookies more than Chip's Ahoy in the Kroger brand. And, the Best Choice, "wheels" were preferred over Oreo. The Kroger bologna and salami were better and much cheaper than Oscar Meyer. If one knew how much of the price came from the fancy ads, they would think again about store brands. All of those millions of dollars have to made up for in the price of the product.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM

39 posts, read 59,559 times
I purchase a lot of store brands, especially paper products, garbage bags and the like. I figure why pay more when you are throwing them out anyway. Regarding ketchup, I loved Heinz until I tried the Hunts brand that used real sugar instead of corn syrup, what a difference in taste. But now they are back to the corn syrup too. Oh well.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,423 times
I will buy Aldi and Trader Joe brands. As to other grocery stores, I buy Organics brand from HEB.

I do not shop at Walmart. Ever. No never.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Most major grocery chains now have their own brand of food sitting right next to the original item. I notice Walmart has their 'Great Value' brand, and I've seen more and more over of it in the past year. There are many new prodcuts in direct competition with the name brand stuff.

I have a friend that doesn't trust any of it and refuses to buy it. She also thinks it is of an inferior quality. To some degree I agree. I mean I've never had an Oreo knock-off that was a good as the original. But for stuff like canned beans, I can't tell the difference. Do you buy the store brand items?
"Store" band is just "name" brand with the ingredients arranged a little differently to protect the brand names products. ALL foods in America come under the FDA so other than being sold under different labels they ARE THE EXACT SAME PRODUCTS!!

Avoiding store brands is just plain dumb in todays world!!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Most major grocery chains now have their own brand of food sitting right next to the original item. I notice Walmart has their 'Great Value' brand, and I've seen more and more over of it in the past year. There are many new prodcuts in direct competition with the name brand stuff.

I have a friend that doesn't trust any of it and refuses to buy it. She also thinks it is of an inferior quality. To some degree I agree. I mean I've never had an Oreo knock-off that was a good as the original. But for stuff like canned beans, I can't tell the difference. Do you buy the store brand items?
I almost always buy store brands and find them to be the same or nearly the same as the name brands..Store brands are quite often manufactured by the leading companies, but the label is different. I don't know if you have ever been to an Aldi's or not: that is the perfect example, even the labels are almost identical but the price is 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper in some cases...

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
I have no problem buying store brands. I'm more likely to try the store brand 1st if it's something new.
Of course with some things I'll prefer the brand.

But to not even try them is finacially silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink