U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 AM

688 posts, read 2,552,518 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll, let's talk about grilling out!
What's some of the favorite things you like to put on the grill? Anyone have any good recipes ya want to share? Do you get the whole family together on a certain day and grill out and have fun? Or do you grill out just about every chance you get (like us!)?

Mediterranean Steak Salad

For Marinade and Steak:
2/3 c. balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing (Wishbone)
4 pressed garlic cloves
1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (I just add my own amount)
1 beef flank steak (1 1/2-2 lbs.)

For Salad:
1 can artichoke hearts in water, drained and cut into quarters
3 plum or roma tomatoes, cut into wedges (or you can use cherry tomatoes)
1 c. cucumber slices
1/2 small red onion, sliced into thin wedges
1/2 c. pitted ripe black olives (I also like to add the same in green olives)
1 bag hearts of romaine lettuce, torn in pieces
1 package (4 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
3/4 c. balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing

For marinade, combine dressing, garlic, oregano and black pepper in small bowl, whisk. Place steak and marinade in resealable plastic food storage bag; turn to coat. Marinate in fridge 6-8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium coals. For salad, quarter artichoke hearts and cut tomatoes into wedges. Slice cucumber and cut the slices in half. Slice onion into thin wedges. Slice olives.
Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid of grill. Grill uncovered for 17-21 minutes or until steak is medium rare or medium doneness, turning occasionally. Remove steak from grill to cutting board. Carve steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
Arrange lettuce on large serving platter; top with steak slices, artichokes, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and olives. Top with feta cheese. Serve salad and drizzle with more dressing if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Calories: 520
Total fat 33g
Sat. fat 10g
Cholesterol: 85 mg
Carbs: 19g
Protein: 38g
Sodium: 880 mg
Fiber: 6g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 5 meat, 1 1/2 fat (1 carb)

This is a recipe from one of the Pampered Chef's cookbooks and I LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Marinated King Prawns ( lemongrass, chili and a bit of soya sauce) served with a couscous salad

Salmon Teriyaki
Home made burgers ( beef ,pork or venison ) basted with a mushroom ketchup and served with a green salad and Barbecued Vegetables ( vine tomatoes, peppers, and Wild Mushrooms).
Chicken kebabs , marinated in coriander and olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette glaze served with couscous skewered with little vine tomatoes, onions and haloumi cheese.
Yummmmmmm!

I also love bananas in their skins, slit open with some dark bitter chocolate to melt. Deeeeeelicious !

Old 05-18-2007, 04:38 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,590,140 times
Florida here! We grill almost all year long...and during the summer, anything to keep from turning on the kitchen oven.

We use the smoker quite a lot, too, especially when all the family is coming over and we can smoke 4 chickens at a time. I use a dry rub (there are many on the web or use a poultry seasoning mix -- Lawry's (I think) makes a good one), place the chickens in a plastic bag overnight, then into the smoker the next day. Or, put them on the rotisserie instead of smoking.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:39 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
i just dont get the infatuation with flank steak,,,its expensive, stringy, and tough if you dont marinade it.. flank steak is about 6.99lb in these parts,,id much rather have many other steaks that are less expensive,,

what are some of our favorite steaks? for grilling?

Old 05-19-2007, 10:37 AM

90 posts, read 347,254 times
Ah Man, you guys are making my mouth water for some BBQ. Our's grilled its last tri tip at the beginning of last summer before it passed. It was a good ole grill and has truely been missed more than we could have ever thought. I often think of it from time to time. God bless its poor ole stainless steel grill.

Soon as we get this move over with, I'm a headin to da store and gettin me a brand spanking new one. Woo Hoo!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i just dont get the infatuation with flank steak,,,its expensive, stringy, and tough if you dont marinade it.. flank steak is about 6.99lb in these parts,,id much rather have many other steaks that are less expensive,,

mainebrokerman,

Hi! You may use any type of steak you wish for the recipe I provided, it's yummy either way, I've used different types! My favorite type of steak is the Ribeye, YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, btw, 6.99/lb. doesn't sound like such a bargain to me for flank steak, it's supposed to be a fairly inexpensive cut of meat....I'm suprised it's that much! I guess it depends on the area???
~LuLu

Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:

My favourite has to be Fillet ( aged for at least 21 days for a full flavour) and I love Stirloin too. How do you like yours? Mine has to be really, really "blue" and virtually still mooing !
How about Wild boar, do you get that in the US? It's so gorgeous, pungent and flavoursome.... I love it.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Let's not forget the Porterhouse, baby! The filet and strip steak all in one.....it's wonderful! I just like to use plain old salt, pepper and some seasoned salt and grill to medium. Sometimes I brush on some really good sauce I found from Lawrys, it's called Mesquite Lime, oh my, it's fantastic! I omit the seasoned salt when I use that though. Anyone else have some favorite spices or sauces you like to put on your steak???

Old 05-19-2007, 04:28 PM

11 posts, read 173,563 times
Quote:

Delmonicos are perfect grilling steaks: tender with just the right amount of marbling to keep them that way on the grill, and fast cooking...

Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,182,868 times
Quote:

A nice sirloin. A well marinated London Broil, not cooked too much.

My favorite: Get that flame REALLY HOT. Cook a thick London Broil so that's it's nice and charred on the outside, still pretty raw on the inside.

Slice it up. Stir fry a bunch of garlic, onions, mushrooms, add wine, throw that meat in, cook it till it's still pink (not much!)

Mix in all the juice, add a little flour to thicken it.

Serve that over egg noodles.

Bonzai!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink