Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:20 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times

Advertisements

I live in a heavily Portuguese area and sometimes the aroma of cooking baccalao (salt cod) in the neighborhood can be overwhelming but I do like the eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
There is a Mexican place not too far from here that makes the very best chile con queso on the planet. They make their own casaro sauce for it, and if you are very lucky they will sell you some (must bring your own container). This stuff smells like it would remove paint, but does it ever taste good. I use it in meatloaf, chili, and just plain old dip tortilla chips in it.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:37 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,029 times
My German side of me still loves sauerkraut! Now, that stinks! But I love it with potatoes and Polish sausage and a little sugar sprinkled on top! Yum. And then top it off with a strudel!

Also, tempe, the fermented soybean cake, smells really bad, but I actually grew to enjoy it! I cut it and fry it up like french fries -- really tasty!

I used to think Blue Cheese smelled bad, but now I actually enjoy the smell of it.

I enjoy Ovaltine, but I don't like milk. The few times I've had it in hot chocolate, I liked it. I love the taste of malt.

I'm sure there are more....will have to think on it. Love food, though!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:06 AM

688 posts, read 2,835,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
My German side of me still loves sauerkraut! Now, that stinks! But I love it with potatoes and Polish sausage and a little sugar sprinkled on top! Yum. And then top it off with a strudel!

Also, tempe, the fermented soybean cake, smells really bad, but I actually grew to enjoy it! I cut it and fry it up like french fries -- really tasty!

I used to think Blue Cheese smelled bad, but now I actually enjoy the smell of it.

I enjoy Ovaltine, but I don't like milk. The few times I've had it in hot chocolate, I liked it. I love the taste of malt.

I'm sure there are more....will have to think on it. Love food, though!!!

Saurkraut, yes, very stinky! And also very yummy, my momma always made some weiners in it..... Good memories!!!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
Cabbage is stinky when cooking. And after making deviled eggs and storing them in the refrigerator...whewwww the refrigerator is stinky. And root a toots from eggs are icky!

Blue Cheese is whewwwwwwwwwww stinky but really good!

p.s. why do I think I read something about US banning vegemite????

I loved cooked cabbage in butter!!!!!! Mmmmm! Boy those boiled eggs sure are the bomb!!!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Parmesan ( smells like teenage sweaty feet or vomit ,but tastes divine), most French cheeses ( unpasteurised of course ! , garlic and onions ( not the most pleasantly "fragrant" foods but where would yummy cooking without it. My favourite cheese Taleggio is pretty stinky but soooooooooo delicious !
Cooking eggs and cabbage is pretty disgusting smell wise but it tastes pretty darn good too.

Something I hate though and smells VILE in my opinion is Ovaltine and Horlicks ( I'm not sure whether you have those in the US). They are malt milky drinks for bed-time and the smell alone will make me feel really sick.

Yes, we have Ovaltine! I've not heard of Horlicks though. Used to drink the malt flavored Ovaltine as a kid and so I do still today. I don't find it especially stinky, it kinda smells like vitamins to me.......what about chicken livers and onions also....that's pretty terrible smelling isn't it????

Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Is anybody familiar with Japanese pickled radishes? I think it's called Takuwan.

*whew* ya don't wanna be around when they open the bottle.

--'rocco

I've not heard of this, but it sounds like something I'd like to try....spicy and hot sounding! I'll look in our specialty sections here in the store to see if I can find it! Thanks!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We have Ovaltine. What makes it smell bad to you? That is strange. I don't like Ovaltine in my milk, well not the malted milk flavor. I prefer good ol Hersheys Chocolate Syrup.

As for stinky foods when cooking that taste good:
boiled and deviled eggs
fish (must fix on grill outside or house reeks of it for DAYS)
greens
fried anything
crawfish (IT'S MUDBUG SEASON )
all of those cheeses previously mentioned
I really don't know what it is about Ovaltine, I guess it's the maltiness. It does actually make me feel quite ill. My partner loves it and he basically has to drink it in the kitchen before coming to bed or I would be sick. Mind you I hate the malty smell of beer and whisky too , we lived in Scotland for a while and the smell of whisky breweries would just make me turn green... Maybe I'm repressing some terrible childhood memories of being forced to drink it or something, I don't know...

Old 05-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,029 times
Quote:
LuLu108: Yes, we have Ovaltine! I've not heard of Horlicks though. Used to drink the malt flavored Ovaltine as a kid and so I do still today. I don't find it especially stinky, it kinda smells like vitamins to me.......what about chicken livers and onions also....that's pretty terrible smelling isn't it????

Eeewwww, liver!! YUCK! Oh, and that made me think of fried baloney!!! That just turns my stomach when I smell it (fortunately, not in my house because I hate it!).

Old 05-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Eeewwww, liver!! YUCK! Oh, and that made me think of fried baloney!!! That just turns my stomach when I smell it (fortunately, not in my house because I hate it!).

Eww, ooh, that reminds me of spam, vienna sausages, and deviled ham, although, I'd never eat spam again in my lifetime, I'd still give the other two a whirl.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink