U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,013,236 times

Advertisements

It looks a little darker than when I first bought it as well. Meaning it doesnt look bright red.

Whats the rule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 AM

17,117 posts, read 12,443,734 times
Don't know of any specific "rule" but I would think it would be ok for 6 mo or so as long as it was in the freezer by the "sell by" date.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,244,491 times
I'm pretty sure the freezing process can change the color of meat. As long as you put it in the freezer promptly and there aren't any holes in the bag, it should be good.

Wait, did you just freeze it in it's original packaging?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I'm pretty sure the freezing process can change the color of meat. As long as you put it in the freezer promptly and there aren't any holes in the bag, it should be good.

Wait, did you just freeze it in it's original packaging?
The steak was in the fridge for some days. But when I realized I wasnt ready to cook it I put it back in the freezer.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,244,491 times
I don't know about this. Thaw it and see how it smells...???

If you just popped it in the freezer that could be why it's brown. The store packaging isn't good for freezing. You should have washed it, wrapped it in plastic wrap and/or put it in a good freezer bag or container.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I don't know about this. Thaw it and see how it smells...???

If you just popped it in the freezer that could be why it's brown. The store packaging isn't good for freezing. You should have washed it, wrapped it in plastic wrap and/or put it in a good freezer bag or container.
Its not really brown but its like blackish dark.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM

22,500 posts, read 27,128,506 times
It's probably just fine even it's in its original package. In future and when you see a good deal on either fresh or frozen meats, package them up in freezer bags or plastic freezer containers, mark them with indelible marker and date and go from there.

The sell-by date is really nothing to go by. The FDA rules are at very best very conservative and frankly I've never had a problem buying "specially priced" cold cuts, fresh cuts and more where the packs are up for cheap grabs a week before being officially outdated.. Pack them and freeze them if you can't use them right away - no problem!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:07 AM

22,500 posts, read 27,128,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
It looks a little darker than when I first bought it as well. Meaning it doesnt look bright red.

Whats the rule?
The freezing will render the end or ends dark. The middles will be fine.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM

17,117 posts, read 12,443,734 times
I agree with STT....the meat is most likely fine even packaged in it's original packaging....by "fine" I mean it is not going to make anyone ill. It most likely won't taste "as good" as when it was fresh or frozen in better packaging but other than that - no problem.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM

3,132 posts, read 7,586,324 times
it is most likely fine, as long as it was in the freezer before the date and as long as it is not freezer burnt. you can only know by thawing and sniffing! LOL I keep food in the freezer a long time. however, if it is freezer burnt, throw it in a crockpot with some beef broth and veggies, cook on low until the meat is really tender and make some soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink