Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times

Advertisements

Make Tabbouleh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
How about authentic couscous ( as in the dish not the grain ) ? I absolutely love a good couscous. Always a treat to have the real thing by Morrocan or Tunisian friends.

All the Authentic North African sites I could find were in French so here's a recipe ( and some photos of what North African couscous looks like) in English :

Foodwizard Home Cooking - Couscous Royal the Meal of Kings (http://www.foodwizard.yourpower2be.com/couscousroyalmealofkings.html - broken link)

couscous royal photos - Google Search

Couscous royal is YUMMY !! And Merguez sausages are a must.... absolutely lovely.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Cous Cous: Little dry granules that people sometimes eat with no valid reason other than survival. Better suited for stuffing those Rosin Bags for bowlers; also usable as a substrata for aquariums.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Cous Cous: Little dry granules that people sometimes eat with no valid reason other than survival. Better suited for stuffing those Rosin Bags for bowlers; also usable as a substrata for aquariums.

So I gather it's not just French food you loathe ! Have you ever actually had couscous ( the dish not just the grain) ?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
So I gather it's not just French food you loathe ! Have you ever actually had couscous ( the dish not just the grain) ?
No. I see pictures when I do a Bing search of this other couscous you speak of - it looks wayyy delicious and great.
I'm refering to the cous cous that could be used to make painted floors skidproof.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
No. I see pictures when I do a Bing search of this other couscous you speak of - it looks wayyy delicious and great.
I'm refering to the cous cous that could be used to make painted floors skidproof.
Couscous grain can be a little uninspiring on its own certainly.... Mind you all so can pasta or rice. I don't think any of them were meant to be eaten straight.

I hope you get to try proper real North African Couscous , it truly is glorious especially with the Merguez sausages.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Couscous grain can be a little uninspiring on its own certainly.... Mind you all so can pasta or rice. I don't think any of them were meant to be eaten straight.

I hope you get to try proper real North African Couscous , it truly is glorious especially with the Merguez sausages.
I would pay a high price to experience the couscous you speak of!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Quote:
I would pay a high price to experience the couscous you speak of!
Full disclosure - it starts the same.

It's like spaghetti - you buy a box of spaghetti and then cook the spaghetti in a spaghetti pot in order to make a dish called spaghetti that has sauce on it.

Likewise, you buy the couscous grain and then, in cookware called a couscouserie, you use the couscous grain to make a dish called couscous that has meat and veg and seasoning in it.

Like Mooseketeer, you might want to forgo trying to make the plain grain again yourself until you've had a chance to taste it in an authentic couscous dish made by someone familiar with that style of cooking. It could be you still won't like the texture, though.

I love it plain as a side but I was already used to the grain by the time I had it that way. Plus, I like plain baked potatoes or buttered pasta.

What's on tonight's menu?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Full disclosure - it starts the same.

It's like spaghetti - you buy a box of spaghetti and then cook the spaghetti in a spaghetti pot in order to make a dish called spaghetti that has sauce on it.

Likewise, you buy the couscous grain and then, in cookware called a couscouserie, you use the couscous grain to make a dish called couscous that has meat and veg and seasoning in it.

Like Mooseketeer, you might want to forgo trying to make the plain grain again yourself until you've had a chance to taste it in an authentic couscous dish made by someone familiar with that style of cooking. It could be you still won't like the texture, though.

I love it plain as a side but I was already used to the grain by the time I had it that way. Plus, I like plain baked potatoes or buttered pasta.

What's on tonight's menu?
Excellent advice...and, just to be clear, I did eat all of my large serving....my wife declared she didn't like it in about 3 seconds.
I kept at it and got to where I adjusted to the new-ness
of it....almost liking it.
I'm putting the large chuck roast in the oven in a few minutes.
Internet sites tell me to set oven at 275 degrees, so that's what I'm doing...cooking it for about 5 hours, which may be too long for a 3 and a half pound roast? (Time will tell)
I'm going to just boil some red potatoes in a pot, just so I don't destroy the roast - the glass roasting pan is little bigger than the roast, anyway.)
I'll bake a few large Vidalia onions in the oven, wrapped in foil, individually.
And, finally, I should really get that cornbread a-cookin'!
Thanks for asking ~
What about cous-cous cat litter?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:47 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Saw this thread, and laughed out loud. Leftover couscous? There is NEVER leftover couscous when I make it for us.

I have had restaurants put couscous in salads -- green salads, even, and it is an interesting addition. I mean, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink