Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:45 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times

Advertisements

Every year we sorta repeat the Thanksgiving menu
for Christmas Eve dinner, then we cook a big
breakfast Christmas morning.

I am trying to come up with something I do every year
on Christmas Eve that is totally different and
a bit easier.

We are not worried about what is traditional.

Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:08 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,229 times
A lot of my friends are doing boiled or steamed shrimp and other hors d'oeuvres for Christmas Eve. I also know some who now do beef tenderloin. Let me know if you want some hors d'oeuvres recipes. I love sharing them and many can be prepared ahead of time or at least prepped ahead of time.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,743 times
I assume your Thanksgiving has been turkey only. If so, how about a ham for Christmas eve? I am going to try a bone-in rib roast this year. This will be served with crab legs, pierogis, veggies, devilled eggs, bread, jello salad and a dessert such as cheesecake. Other ideas would be to make lasagna ahead of time and then pop it into the oven, serve with a salad or 7 layer salad, bread and dessert. I have also done heavy appetizers and desserts on Christmas eve and that goes over very well since there can be a lot of people, present swapping, etc. Finally, you can do a meat tray (roast beef, turkey, ham, cheese, etc. , bread, pre-made or bought side dishes and if it is cold, a soup in the crockpot. Hope these help.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
A lot of my friends are doing boiled or steamed shrimp and other hors d'oeuvres for Christmas Eve. I also know some who now do beef tenderloin. Let me know if you want some hors d'oeuvres recipes. I love sharing them and many can be prepared ahead of time or at least prepped ahead of time.
That gave me an idea about a crab boil with lots of seafood,sausage,veggies.
My hubby can't do spice so that would not be fair to him...

Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
I assume your Thanksgiving has been turkey only. If so, how about a ham for Christmas eve? I am going to try a bone-in rib roast this year. This will be served with crab legs, pierogis, veggies, devilled eggs, bread, jello salad and a dessert such as cheesecake. Other ideas would be to make lasagna ahead of time and then pop it into the oven, serve with a salad or 7 layer salad, bread and dessert. I have also done heavy appetizers and desserts on Christmas eve and that goes over very well since there can be a lot of people, present swapping, etc. Finally, you can do a meat tray (roast beef, turkey, ham, cheese, etc. , bread, pre-made or bought side dishes and if it is cold, a soup in the crockpot. Hope these help.
We do a ham and a turkey at Thanksgiving.. This year I also tried my first duck!!

Old 12-19-2009, 02:28 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Maybe get some ideas from traditional Christmas dinner's in other countries: Christmas dinner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2009, 04:06 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
Christmas dinner here has always been a crown roast of pork with apple/onion/sausage/celery stuffing. asparagus, glazed carrots and fingerling potatoes roasted in Dijon/mustard/garlic and olive oil. Cheesecake for dessert and Amaretti cookies with after dinner drinks.

Christmas Eve it will just be two of us and I am making mushrooms stuffed with crab, shrimp cocktail and seared jumbo scallops.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
We usually have a Swiss Cheese Fondue. Really easy, delicious and fun and convivial. You can also have a meat fondue with different sauces ( using fillet steak) and chocolate fondue for dessert with fresh fruits to dip in.... Having a fondue means you can spend your time with guests rather than in the kitchen. Each person who drops a piece of bread in the cheese has to do a forfeit which is also quite fun...

Old 12-19-2009, 05:46 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
You might be able to get some ideas in this Christmas dinner thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...stmas-day.html

Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Last year was beef stroganoff. This year I'm thinking maybe filets with twice-baked and fresh asparagus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink