Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times

Advertisements

Saw something at a Dennys today, there were some younger people in the booth beside us, 2 guys and a girl. The girl called over the waitress and said "there's a hair in my food", and held up a plate with just a few bites of food left on it! The waitress offered another plate, which was refused, and then asked "what would you like us to do?", the girl then said loudly and defensively "Well, I'm not paying for this!". The WT consulted with the mng, and it appears she did get comped.

Could have been a legitimate complaint, not my call anyway, but I feel it was a scam. I was also amused to look over at the cook, who you can see above the couter, and see he was wearing a hat and bald!

Anyone out there, esp waitstaff or reformed/practicing scammers have any stories or opinions to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Thieves.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
My husband and I were out eating at a pretty expensive restaurant. We ordered a bottle of wine, appetizers, surf and turf dinner. He was done with his steak and lobster and went to move the baked potatoe, and under it was a hair. A coarse jet black hair about 4" long. My husband has fine medium brown that he wears above his ears--at the longest his hair might hit 1 1/2".

We discretely called the server over and pointed it out. The manager cam over and apologized, and removed my husbands dinner from the bill, and offered both of us complimentary desserts. We declined the dessert--by that time we were pretty stuffed. I'm sure some might have thought we were trying to scam, but far from it. We never said we wouldn't pay for the meal, even if we had been so inclined we wouldn't have had a chance before the manager told us it was going to be comped. We've been back several times since.

On the other hand I was eating a salad at another restaurant and a large bug crawled out from under a piece of lettuce. I called the server over and pointed the bug that was crawling around on my salad out. The only thing he offered was to take the bowl away--not even a fresh salad. Are you kidding? I got up and walked out, and I'll never go back.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I sometimes cover for the restaurant manager and you would be shocked how many scammers there are. My favorite is when people eat like 90% of their meal and then call the server over to say they didn't like it and wanted it comped. Uhm hello, why did you eat so much of it then?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:43 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Yeah they are out there. You always know if they are scammers by the tip they leave. They are ALWAYS crappy tippers and we ALWAYS remember them.

signed,
Former server and bartender.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Well, we tipped on the full meal, including the comped dish--we don't believe in blaming the server for something the kitchen screwed up. Not everyone who complains about something in a restaurant is a scammer. I'm a former waitress and bartender, and my experience is that most people who complain have a good reason to do so.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
It's common and yes it's a form of stealing. Some food critics actually will purposely put a hair in the food and report the outcome (if there's an offered comp, they'll reject it). It's good to know what to expect in the event you get an unsatisfactory meal, but it also advertiser the outcomes to scammers...

Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My husband and I were out eating at a pretty expensive restaurant. We ordered a bottle of wine, appetizers, surf and turf dinner. He was done with his steak and lobster and went to move the baked potatoe, and under it was a hair. A coarse jet black hair about 4" long. My husband has fine medium brown that he wears above his ears--at the longest his hair might hit 1 1/2".

We discretely called the server over and pointed it out. The manager cam over and apologized, and removed my husbands dinner from the bill, and offered both of us complimentary desserts. We declined the dessert--by that time we were pretty stuffed. I'm sure some might have thought we were trying to scam, but far from it. We never said we wouldn't pay for the meal, even if we had been so inclined we wouldn't have had a chance before the manager told us it was going to be comped. We've been back several times since.

On the other hand I was eating a salad at another restaurant and a large bug crawled out from under a piece of lettuce. I called the server over and pointed the bug that was crawling around on my salad out. The only thing he offered was to take the bowl away--not even a fresh salad. Are you kidding? I got up and walked out, and I'll never go back.
OMG the bug thing happened to me too!! They didn't do a thing. What grossed me out is my family finished their salads!!!! Hello? Don't you think the salads came from the same place? They didn't care.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Well, we tipped on the full meal, including the comped dish--we don't believe in blaming the server for something the kitchen screwed up. Not everyone who complains about something in a restaurant is a scammer. I'm a former waitress and bartender, and my experience is that most people who complain have a good reason to do so.

Oh I agree, it's happened to me to! I never intended to suggest that all complainers were scammers. (I do believe I witnessed one yesterday though)

As I think about it, there are really many types of customer restaurant scammers, like those who shortchange/skip bills, steal tips, steal glasses, dishes or other patron's food...

Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
I have sent food back because it wasn't cooked right or not what I ordered, but have done it right away not when partially eaten. I have also sent it back and asked that it be heated up, and gotten new in place rather than just nuked like I asked. Back in the ....when I was waitressing, I made sure I got back to the tables with new drinks and fresh food, even if a fly-by to make sure everything was okay. Depending on the complaint they would be comped as the owner wanted happy people, but if the food was partially gone we would give a percentage off, if someone was noticed as habitual, we would give a coupon and rarely did they come back. This,in my mind is blatant stealing,and only drives the cost up for others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink