Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:45 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have heard of Dublin Dr. Pepper which is made with cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, Dr. Pepper has now released "Heritage Dr. Pepper" made with a combination of beet and cane sugar.

I wont touch anything with HFCS and I like Dr. Pepper(I've bought the Dublin Dr. Pepper a few times online).

My wal mart has it in stock and I bought a few cases today since I don't know how long they will stock it for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
good news......is it substantially higher priced than hfcs stuff?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,352 times
So what is so horrible about HFCS?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
good news......is it substantially higher priced than hfcs stuff?
I think my 12 packs were $4.43.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
So what is so horrible about HFCS?
You can read about the health effects here:

High-fructose corn syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In terms of soda, I find HFCS has a harsher, biting taste along with a lingering aftertaste. With regular sugar these drinks are a lot smoother with a more pleasant taste. Also with the HFCS it feels very acidic on your teeth right away.

I've done blind taste tests with the same soda(Coke) made with sugar and made with HFCS. Not only did I and the others pick the sugar made for what it is but also liked the taste better.

I've also had the Dublin Dr. Pepper before and done tastings with that over regular HFCS Dr. Pepper and it's a big difference.

Just my personal preference but I wont drink anything with HFCS anymore.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:06 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You can read about the health effects here:

High-fructose corn syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In terms of soda, I find HFCS has a harsher, biting taste along with a lingering aftertaste. With regular sugar these drinks are a lot smoother with a more pleasant taste. Also with the HFCS it feels very acidic on your teeth right away.

I've done blind taste tests with the same soda(Coke) made with sugar and made with HFCS. Not only did I and the others pick the sugar made for what it is but also liked the taste better.

I've also had the Dublin Dr. Pepper before and done tastings with that over regular HFCS Dr. Pepper and it's a big difference.

Just my personal preference but I wont drink anything with HFCS anymore.
I agree........

Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I prefer the taste of HFCS - and I drink soda so infrequently now, it probably won't effect my health. I hope it's not completely phased out by the time I return to the US.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I don't drink soda very often, but when I do it's Dr. Pepper. I haven't seen the new Heritage DP here yet, I'll have to look for it.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
We found "Throwback" Mountain Dew and Pepsi in the stores, too - made with sugar, not HFCS. The flavor is so much better; I'd almost forgotten how good soda could taste. We got the Mountain Dew, as neither of us particularly cares for Pepsi.

Unfortunately, they are advertising these products as being available for a "limited time". Hopefully, their popularity will be such that they dump HFCS.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
We found "Throwback" Mountain Dew and Pepsi in the stores, too - made with sugar, not HFCS. The flavor is so much better; I'd almost forgotten how good soda could taste. We got the Mountain Dew, as neither of us particularly cares for Pepsi.

Unfortunately, they are advertising these products as being available for a "limited time". Hopefully, their popularity will be such that they dump HFCS.
I think the Pepsi and MD throwback are slated to stay until the end of February. It's their second time on the market after being introduced last year. Hopefully they will stick around cause I wont drink the regular stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink