Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times

Advertisements

You guy's just need to sit down and talk about it.
It's not that hard to do a little short order cooking, I do it.
Like make a hamburger for me and a vegie burger for her etc.
Jesh.
too many choices out there.

Happy trails,
HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:23 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,512 times
Baked potato topped with lots of stuff, avocado on the side?

I also like the breakfast suggestion.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,191 times
Love breakfast for dinner! How about biscuits & gravy, sausage patties or links, eggs how you like them?
I don't know your other regular meals, but how 'bout...
smoked sausage with kraut and fried potatoes
beans and ham, cornbread, spinach
beef enchiladas, Mexican rice, refried beans

Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
Check out the cooking section and the tasty kitchen section of The Pioneer Woman, she lives on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma so there's plenty of meat dishes on her site. The Pioneer Woman | Ree Drummond

My suggestion is to slow roast a large pork shoulder, around 250 degrees for 6-8+ hours until it falls apart. I serve it with chipotle mashed sweet potatoes, polenta with green chiles, buttermilk mashed potatoes or just some salsa and guac. I also shed some and toss it in ziplocks in the freezer for quick meals.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
We always end up spending too much money eating out when we get into a terrible food rut.

But that's where we are.

Nothing (I mean nothing) sounds good. In the past few weeks we have had chicken several different ways BBQ, roasted and in a cassarole, a pork roast, pork chops, spaghetti, green chili enchiladas, meat loaf, BBQ ribs (and BBQ pork), hamburgers, brats, stew, chili, soup, talapia....

Along with all the side dishes that go with it, of course including salads on a regular basis...

Nothing sounds good to me. I need suggestions.

Before you start.....

NO GARLIC. None. Zip. Nada. Onions as long as they are hidden and not crunchy are ok.
I like curry, husband won't touch it.
Seafood is too expensive in Missouri (and usually poor quality).
Husband is a carnivore. Meat is a must.
Meals must be HEARTY (no quiche, crepes, custards, frou-frou things)
Not a huge fruit fan. Not a big fan of "exotic" ingredients like Artichokes, parsnips, eggplant - stuff like that.
I like strong flavors - game meat is great but expensive and hard to come by.

Ideas anyone?

20yrsinBranson

20yrsinBranson
Do you like fish or seafoods? Even though it may be somewhat expensive you may find having it once in a while is a nice change to stimulate an appetite for something new.

Try that for a change.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Burritos, enchiladas, chilequiles. And meat-stuffed ravioli.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
1. Ever made pepper steak? I add ginger. Well this isn't quite my recipe. Instead of stir-frying the steak, I braise it. ANd make a good old fashioned roux/gravy and add soy sauce to it. Add the peppers at the very end and serve with rice. This recipe is on the right path to my process
Mixed-Pepper Steak with Onions Recipe at Epicurious.com

2. I like to roast a chicken breast, but under the skin I make an herb mix: like parsley/thyme/lemon/olive oil/onions made into a paste

3. Try chimichurri on your meat: Chimichurri Recipe at Epicurious.com you can replace the garlic with a bit of onion. It'll still be great

4. Dress up your spaghetti sauce, add hot links! Seriously.

5. Roasted/broiled chicken wings. Stick them in the oven at higher heat. Make a spice mix: my fave is 2 parts salt, 1 part cumin, 1 part coriander, 1 part cayenne, 1 part paprika. Or just use paprika/cayenne/black pepper/garlic powder/ 2 salt. Sprinkle liberally with a spice mix

6. Chicken or Pork adobo: Chicken Adobo Recipe at Epicurious.com

7. Chicken in a red chile sauce: Mexican Red Chili Sauce Recipe | Simply Recipes (leave out the garlic, you'll be fine)

8. chicken in a a tangy/fruity sauce. Like balsamic vinegar/cherry sauce or pomegranate sauce (sort of like this: Cherry Balsamic Chicken Breasts Recipe - Food.com - 262646) but I make pomegranate chicken: kinda like this: » Easy Pomegranate Chicken : Pomegranate World — Pomegranate Recipes, Cocktails, & Health Information

9. Tandoori chicken?

10. Try this marinade on chicken: juice of 1 lime, 2 tbs of soy sauce, a bit of honey, salt and pepper to taste, 2 tsp of cilantro, a bit of olive oil. The chicken just needs a quick dunk. (use the rest of the cilantro in the chimichurri sauce)

11. try mint chutney on simply prepared meats: Mint Chutney Recipe - Allrecipes.com

12. Tried persian or afghan recipes? They like meat, use different spices

13. Morrocan Tangine? Quick Tagine-Style Chicken Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

14. Seared steak with charred tomatoes. Season steak with salt and pepper. Heat an oven up to about 425. Heat up a heavy pan. Brown the steak on one side. Flip it over and throw in some cherry tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Put it in the oven to finish cooking. 5-12 minutes depending on how you like your steak. This makes the best steak sauce ever. Serve with italian bread

That's all I've got. But try Mark Bittman's book, how to cook anything

Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Boredom is a symptom. Isn't it obvious? It isnt about the food. The stuff you eat makes gourmet menu. 90% of the world would love to eat like you do.

Get a hobby, do some service work, start a business, your appetite will improve.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,969 times
Try some finger foods. Like an appetizer night. Last week I did cream cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon and then baked (or grilled ) . Surf recipe websites:
allrecipes.com
pioneerwoman.com
Recipe Shoebox
This site has hundreds of menu plans w/ recipes posted every monday:
Menu Plan Monday ~ Dec 20th Christmas Menu!
just scroll down and you will see them
I spend a lot of time surfing for new recipes to try! I try to do 2 new recipes per week, with the others tried and true as I have a very picky DH. Hope that helps!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:08 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Split pea soup with generous amounts of ham cubes sided with rye bread and butter. Cheap and satisfying on a cold night.
Amish roast. Basically roasted chicken pieces cut up and baked with bread filling and sided with mashed potatoes and chow chow, pepper cabbage or cole slaw.
Zattarains does a good salmon mix. We make salmon croquettes. A can of canned salmon is cheap and makes a generous amount of croquettes.
Chicken croquettes.
Ham sliced and paired with cornbread and green beans. Or with corn fritters.
Hot roast beef sandwiches with a french dip.
Reubens.
Cheesesteaks. You can use minute steaks or thin sliced ribeye. Just remember to fry/steam the onions with the meat, use provolone( preferred) or mozzarella, no Whiz( okay once in a while) and don't forget the marinara sauce. Pizza sauce can be used if you cant get steak marinar sauce. I'm from Pa so cheesesteaks are a way of life. Also get good rolls, not the soft kind. You want a chewy roll.
Italian( hoagies, subs, grinders) sandwiches. Sliced salami, capicola, provolone, oil, onions, oregano, shredded lettuce and sliced tomato and a chewy roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink