Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention, (since you mentioned food groups)... I always buy fruit in season. I freeze it in portions (watermelon, cantaloupe, different berries, pineapple) and I peel, slice and freeze bananas. I take them out of the freezer as I need them, add either orange juice, apple juice, or cranberry juice, or even milk and some yogurt, and make smoothies. They're quick, easy, filling and yummy. There are loads of smoothie recipes on the net, if you don't know what to add together. Generally I just take what appeals to me at the time, mix it up and ad lib as I go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 AM

878 posts, read 2,737,715 times
Take advantage of sales and buy fruits and vegetables that are in season and on sale and design your menus around them. One of my favorite "go to" dinners is baked barbecue rosemary chicken. I keep a rosemary plant around so always have that. I use leg quarters as they are normally on sale. I remove the skin, marinate with black pepper, salt, garlic powder, rosemary and barbecue sauce. I then bake them by sitting the chicken on a slice of sweet onions. I pour a little water in the baking dish and cover.

I serve that with steamed carrots. Simple and fairly nutritious.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I would like to make wiser choices in what I eat as my eating habits have always been poor and not getting enough of the different food groups in my diet. My biggest issue is that the bulk of what I eat is processed, pre-packaged foods (or take out) because when I get home from work, I don't want to prepare anything complicated, especially as I'm eating for one person. My fridge, freezer and cupboards are stocked with mostly pre-packaged junk. I also am not used to handling raw meats but I know I just need to get over that as I need more protein in my diet. I need to start stocking up on some basic items and need some fresh ideas to some simple but healthy items to prepare in the evenings. It really isn't easy making the transition from the convenience of pre-packaged, ready to eat meals to preparing my own meals at home as I've tried to do this so many times but haven't been successful at sticking with it. I guess what I need is guidance on the following:

1. What are some basic staples I should have on hand?
2. What are some simple, healthy, well-balanced meals or things I can prepare for myself that don't require a zillion ingredients to prepare.

Thanks for any suggestions.
use a small crock pot and freeze what is left for another time. Get rid of the processed foods asap, even if you have to combine with fresh for awhile. Buy packages of chicken pieces, it doesn't have always be chicken breasts, all parts are good, easy to prepare and healthy. Always keep fresh salad fixins in the fridge, juts buy in small portions. if you don't want to bother with fresh veggies or do not know how to fix them, use frozen, rather than canned. All you need to adjust to cooking for one is: a couple of good cook books, designed for cooking for one or two people, a 1.5 qt crock pot and some tasty spices. some spices that always add flavor: rosemary, garlic, of course, cumin, and seasoning salt..Some produce that keeps well: squash, bell peppers, onions and potatoes of all kinds, carrots and cabbage. Spinich does not, nor does some types of lettuce. Mushrooms get yucky very quickly. Fruits that keep well: apples, oranges and lemons, but limes and summer fruits are not as hardly. Oh and don't forget your calcium, cottage cheese, yoguart and sour cream will last longer than say, reg milk.

These are just some ideas, good luck and start eating healthy but enjoy what you eat.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
With the upcoming holidays, read what people are planning to do with their leftovers. That will be something that you can do with a smaller amount of meat.

Chicken, either pieces or rotisserie, can be subbed for turkey in these cases.
A ham steak can be subbed for a whole ham.
Beef ~ learn the cuts. Some, like steaks, require quick cooking, or they will be tough. Others, like roasts and briskets, require long, slow cooking to avoid being tough - these are good for crock pots.

Someone posted above about how some fresh veggies don't keep well. Back when I was single, I discovered that the local Whole Foods had a great salad bar. If I had a recipe that needed just 1/2 cup of mushrooms or a handful of fresh spinach, I could pick up just that amount from the salad bar and didn't worry about buying and using/not using what I didn't need for that recipe. Or, if you are doing a stir-fry, the veggies are already prepped for you. Just to speed things up.

On the subject of pre-prepped vegetables and working with raw meat, might I suggest taking a knife skills class. Makes a world of difference in making meals. Knowing how to use your knives can make cooking less of a chore.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Do you eat raw veggies and lots of fruit. I try to include raw veggies a couple of times a week like carrots, spinach, sugar snap peas, red pepper, salads. They are nice with some fish or shrimp. Throw some frozen shrimp in some water infused with lime juice and simmer just until warm. Add your raw veggies and a slice of whole wheat bread and you'll have a meal in 30 minutes. Once you get used to eating healthy and feeling better your body will tell you that processed foods are gross.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Shop in the perimeter of the grocery store....meat and fish, produce, bread and dairy.
I would start by having meals which include a piece of meat or fish, baked or grilled, a potato or rice, and a fresh or frozen vegetable, or salad. This is simple to prepare and a balanced meal. You don't need anything but butter, salt and pepper, and a fresh lemon for the fish. Later you can experiment with other flavors, but get comfortable with the basics first. You can get good artisan bread from the bakery, and bake some brownies, cookies or other dessert from scratch. You will be really proud of yourself.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I wouldn't try to do it all at once. I think you'd find it overwhelming and you'd end up with a lot of perishables that you end up not using.

I'd find a recipe that I thought sounded good -- preferably a casserole, so that I could last several meals -- and go from there. I'm going to send you a DM with a few recipes that you might enjoy.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You guys are awesome! So many great ideas that will help me tremendously
We aim to please, Chat!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Default Cooking rut...

Do you feel like you are in a food rut? Or cooking rut? I seem to just make the same old things all the time, pretty much, the same way.

I read this magazine, with a recipe for a spinach frittata. Looked good. Sigh. I just normally make an omelet, call it good.

Predictable. Sloppy joes, tacos, salad, sandwiches, spaghetti.

Not so sure I want to get out of the rut, I just notice, I pretty much buy and eat the same things. Always buy onions, peppers, mushrooms, celery, eggs, cheese, potatoes...those are the staples. Lettuce, bread...lentils.

Are you also in a rut?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:06 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
I think for me it comes down to planning. I can think of a couple of different ways to prepare the chicken breast I have but the recipes call for ingredients that I don't have on-hand. I am not going to drive into town for a couple of things. If I had planned my menu for the week, I would have made either Tarragon Chicken or Curry Chicken for tonight's dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink