Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American "regional" foods have you tried at least once in your lifetime?
New England Boiled Dinner (New England) 51 41.80%
Johnny Cakes (New England) 30 24.59%
Clam Chowder (New England) 89 72.95%
Apple Cider (New England) 97 79.51%
Fluffernutter (New England) 40 32.79%
Italian Beef (Chicago) 31 25.41%
Deep Dish Pizza (Chicago) 86 70.49%
Cincinatti chilli 27 22.13%
St. Paul Sandwich (St. Louis) 5 4.10%
Walleye (Minnesota) 31 25.41%
Cheese Curds (Wisconsin) 44 36.07%
New York - style pizza (NYC) 90 73.77%
Pastrami on rye (NYC) 69 56.56%
Philly cheesesteak (Philadelphia) 80 65.57%
Scrapple (Pennsylvania) 26 21.31%
Burrito (Southwestern) 98 80.33%
Salt water taffy (New Jersey) 83 68.03%
Chile relleno (Southwestern) 66 54.10%
Grits (Southern) 84 68.85%
Gumbo (Louisiana) 74 60.66%
Collard greens (Southern) 61 50.00%
Jambalaya (Lousiana?) 79 64.75%
Hush Puppies (Southern) 84 68.85%
Chit'lins (Southern) 18 14.75%
Black eye peas (Southern) 73 59.84%
Boudin (Louisiana) 25 20.49%
Muffuletta (Louisiana) 36 29.51%
Country Fried Steak (Southern) 90 73.77%
Succotash (Southern) 51 41.80%
Chili (Southwestern) 104 85.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 03:43 PM

646 posts, read 813,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
Baltimore has Pit Beef along w/ Crab Cakes and gravy on fries.
DE has Scrapple which is A LOT different than souse/liver pudding in the South.

I love that pit beef but Crab Cakes is a Chesapeake Bay thing shared by several states. Scrapple too though I'd never eat scrapple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Kolaches from Texas. Although the original kind is topped with fruit, I prefer the kind stuffed with sausage and cheese the best.

Riordan's in Annapolis, MD has the best spicy hot crab dip ever. I wish I had the recipe so I could make it at home.

Fried alligator in Texas and Louisiana....yum

Kolaches from Texas. Although the original kind is topped with fruit, I prefer the kind stuffed with sausage and cheese the best.<<<

What is that?

I've had "she crab" soup from SC.

Fried alligator, no not me!!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Is it very different from the Olive Garden version? What about Campbell's soup? Is that close to the real thing?

So good!
It's close enough. It's quite common in NY. You're speaking of Italian Wedding soup right?

Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Kolaches from Texas. Although the original kind is topped with fruit, I prefer the kind stuffed with sausage and cheese the best.<<<

What is that?

I've had "she crab" soup from SC.

Fried alligator, no not me!!
Kolaches

I love fried alligator, especially when it's spicy. It gives it a nice bite.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:40 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:
It's close enough. It's quite common in NY. You're speaking of Italian Wedding soup right?
Yes, I wasn't sure if that's what CortlandGirl79 was talking about. It's served here too.

Has anyone ever had Chittlins(chitterlings)? I don't like 'em but I know peeople who do. They are sold in the grocery store here. Are they eaten outside of the South?

Old 12-16-2007, 07:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Yes, I wasn't sure if that's what CortlandGirl79 was talking about. It's served here too.

Has anyone ever had Chittlins(chitterlings)? I don't like 'em but I know peeople who do. They are sold in the grocery store here. Are they eaten outside of the South?
They are sold at the grocery here too but I couldn't eat em, yuck!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:55 AM

352 posts, read 796,818 times
In North Central WV it is the "home" of the pepperoni roll. These are so delicious...a crusty roll filled with sliced pepperoni..nothing better..hot from the oven. Sometimes, they are split and marinara sauce and cheese is added for a heartier snack.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
I think that's the same as those mallow pies or "Moon" pies.
Whoopie pies are two cake-like cookies sandwiched together with a creamy filling. Traditionally the cookie is chocolate and the filling tastes "sweet." No real flavor, just very sweet. I make pumpkin cookies and a vanilla or almond flavored cream. It's still very sweet but has its own flavor. I was recently given a recipe for blueberry whoopie pies but haven't made them yet.

It doesn't seem odd here but this evening we're having a sirloin roast with potatoes, carrots and rutabaga. The roast is moose. While the roast sets I'll make gravy for the roast and potatoes. The moose was taken by a friend during the hunt and the rest was grown here.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:26 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
For many years, whoopie pies were a strictly northeast treat. I understand the good news has finally started to spread around the country. Nothing like a really good whoopie pie and a glass of ice cold milk.

Those are called Moon Pies in the south, they come in chocolate and banana. In the south they use to be eaten with RC Cola, however RC Cola is harder to find now days, so I'm sure a Coke would do.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Whoopie pies are two cake-like cookies sandwiched together with a creamy filling. Traditionally the cookie is chocolate and the filling tastes "sweet." No real flavor, just very sweet. I make pumpkin cookies and a vanilla or almond flavored cream. It's still very sweet but has its own flavor. I was recently given a recipe for blueberry whoopie pies but haven't made them yet.

It doesn't seem odd here but this evening we're having a sirloin roast with potatoes, carrots and rutabaga. The roast is moose. While the roast sets I'll make gravy for the roast and potatoes. The moose was taken by a friend during the hunt and the rest was grown here.

I can't believe you'd eat Bullwinkle. Never heard about roast moose. Only moose I've had is a dessert like chocolate mousse.

Those pies sound different than the store bought Moon Pie, they sound homemade.

I thought making "whoopie" was making something else, well it is here.

We have the Black and White cookie, and some are darn good, I think like the Brooklyn Egg Cream, they originated in Brooklyn and sold all over the NY/NJ area. Prepackages or Bakery made either way, some brands good, some not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink