Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American "regional" foods have you tried at least once in your lifetime?
New England Boiled Dinner (New England) 51 41.80%
Johnny Cakes (New England) 30 24.59%
Clam Chowder (New England) 89 72.95%
Apple Cider (New England) 97 79.51%
Fluffernutter (New England) 40 32.79%
Italian Beef (Chicago) 31 25.41%
Deep Dish Pizza (Chicago) 86 70.49%
Cincinatti chilli 27 22.13%
St. Paul Sandwich (St. Louis) 5 4.10%
Walleye (Minnesota) 31 25.41%
Cheese Curds (Wisconsin) 44 36.07%
New York - style pizza (NYC) 90 73.77%
Pastrami on rye (NYC) 69 56.56%
Philly cheesesteak (Philadelphia) 80 65.57%
Scrapple (Pennsylvania) 26 21.31%
Burrito (Southwestern) 98 80.33%
Salt water taffy (New Jersey) 83 68.03%
Chile relleno (Southwestern) 66 54.10%
Grits (Southern) 84 68.85%
Gumbo (Louisiana) 74 60.66%
Collard greens (Southern) 61 50.00%
Jambalaya (Lousiana?) 79 64.75%
Hush Puppies (Southern) 84 68.85%
Chit'lins (Southern) 18 14.75%
Black eye peas (Southern) 73 59.84%
Boudin (Louisiana) 25 20.49%
Muffuletta (Louisiana) 36 29.51%
Country Fried Steak (Southern) 90 73.77%
Succotash (Southern) 51 41.80%
Chili (Southwestern) 104 85.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 PM

38,864 posts, read 22,849,388 times

Advertisements

We're known for Mexican food here in Southern California, as a couple of others have already mentioned. What's funny is that, even though I'm a California native, I never really acquired a taste for Mexican food.

We're also known for many kinds of Asian cuisine since we have a large population of Asians up and down the state. Now, their kind of food--especially Thai and Chinese--I truly enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 11:38 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Phoenix: 24hour ultra greasy burrito joints-- the infamous Filibertos and the related "--bertos" clones. "Food for drunks," I have heard it called.

Interesting fact for the original poster from Buffalo-- the only Ted's Hot Dogs chain outside of western NY is in Tempe, AZ.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:18 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,744,874 times
Springfield, IL: Horseshoes and Ponyshoes

It's toast (1 piece for Ponyshoe and 2 Pieces for Horseshoe) laid on a plate, then your meat choice....Hamburger is the most popular but it can be shrimp, grilled chicken breast, ham, sausage patties, chicken planks, or even egg. (horseshoes get double the meat too....you gotta be super hungry to eat a horseshoe.)

Topped with french fries and then a cheese sauce.

Springfield, IL is the home of these horseshoe/ponyshoe dishes. Some places make a velveeta type cheese sauce which is just icky. Most make a sharp cheddar cheese sauce like a welsh rarebit. I have a wonderful recipe which uses beer that is really good....if you are interested in this pm me.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
Lobster. Wild blueberries.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:23 AM

859 posts, read 3,320,998 times
Pizza, pasta, bagels and seafood

Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 AM

373 posts, read 1,852,551 times
Pasties: These are calzone-shaped pie crust things with lightly seasoned meat and potatoes inside. They were popularized in the old mining days because you could carry them like a sandwich. They are most commonly served with brown gravy.

Fry bread: Like pitas that are lightly fried and served with butter and honey. These can also be used as shells for Indian tacos.

Anything huckleberry is a Montana speciality, but in reality, I think tourists eat the huckleberry confections more than we do.

We eat a lot of wild game, especially elk. I've personally eaten elk, deer, antelope, pheasant, paddlefish, buffalo, bear, rattlesnake...whatever, you name it (just not rodents).

We put ranch dressing on a ridiculous assortment of items.

Barbecued steak, burgers, and sausages are very popular. People also have a lot of fish "fries" where we eat a variety of fish in a barbecue setting, and it's usually walleye and/or perch.

If you really want to get crazy, quite a few folks in Montana actually eat "Rocky Mountain oysters" by choice. These are deep-fried bull testicles. We even have a summer celebration dedicated to them called the "Testy Festy" and people come from all over Montana and northern Idaho to camp at this event. Of course, there's a lot of beer drinking there, too.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
SW Missouri:
Steaks, since we live in cow country
Chicken fried steak w/ cream gravy
Missouri-style cashew chicken, which is deep-fried and breaded chunks of
chicken with oyster sauce-I have heard it was invented in Springfield, MO
Pretty much anything deep-fried-fish,chicken,broccoli,pickles,onions
My hometown of Carthage-OTT'S salad dressing,made right here
Good Mexican, if you stay away from the chain restaurants and hit the Mom-and Pop places
Also in Carthage-Whistler burgers-tiny hole-in-the-wall place, home of the double pig-n-bull burger
Another Carthage (acquired) taste- Taco Town, which is loosely called Mexican food but tastes like nothing else. Yet cars line up down the shoulder of the road at lunch time for the drive through
All You Can Eat Buffets, unfortunately. I think the quality of the food suffers greatly with buffet, as does your waistline
Homegrown veggies at the farmer's market in the summer and fall-best sweet corn ever!

Old 06-02-2007, 12:54 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,285 times
Unfortunately Athens seems not to have a "cuisine", unless it is preceded by the word "fast" or "chain"... I have mentioned in a previous post that Red Lobster is the most glamorous restaurant here unless I have not stumbled across any other that might be hidden in a strip mall somewhere. We love going somewhere for breakfast even if it is only bacon and eggs. We all know that there is such a thing as bacon and eggs and, then again, BACON AND EGGS.... I can't accept Cracker Barrell as a great spot for breakfast, though we do go there a lot.

We once bumped into the Realtor that helped us with the house we bought. She asked if we liked it here, I complained about the fact that there are no really good restaurants here. She looked me shocked and said, "Oh, yes we do! We have Chili's, Outback, Red Lobster, Carrabba's,..."

So does everybody else!!!! Really, I'm not a snob, its just that there isn't a special place here!!!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Philly:
Cheesesteaks & Hoagies-- and it's the ROLLS which really make the sandwiches. Can't get breads this good anywhere, IMO.
Scrapple, PorkRoll, Snapper Soup, Kennet Square Mushrooms, and, of course TastyKakes (Butterscotch Krimpets, etc. yummmm.)

Old 06-02-2007, 08:05 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Wow really? Has "The Grit" gone out of business? What about the world famous Taco Stand? Or the Last Resort? Maybe you should get out of those strip malls and venture downtown. You can find healthy, beautiful, and affordable vegetarian options in every direction and of many nationalities. I'd say that's their local cuisine. PM me if you're feeling hopeless. Breakfast is waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJimo View Post
Unfortunately Athens seems not to have a "cuisine", unless it is preceded by the word "fast" or "chain"... I have mentioned in a previous post that Red Lobster is the most glamorous restaurant here unless I have not stumbled across any other that might be hidden in a strip mall somewhere. We love going somewhere for breakfast even if it is only bacon and eggs. We all know that there is such a thing as bacon and eggs and, then again, BACON AND EGGS.... I can't accept Cracker Barrell as a great spot for breakfast, though we do go there a lot.

We once bumped into the Realtor that helped us with the house we bought. She asked if we liked it here, I complained about the fact that there are no really good restaurants here. She looked me shocked and said, "Oh, yes we do! We have Chili's, Outback, Red Lobster, Carrabba's,..."

So does everybody else!!!! Really, I'm not a snob, its just that there isn't a special place here!!!

Last edited by ellie; 06-02-2007 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink