Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBF View Post
Oxygen is not air. Oxygen is in the air that we breathe. Oxygen is in the water & that is how fish take it in through their gills. They cannot, however, breathe air. If they could, they could live out of the water.
Lots of fish breathe air and/or live out of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Pretty basic question which I think will have opinions across the board. For those of you that don't consider seafood to be meat, what category would amphibians (frog legs etc) fall into, meat or seafood?

Why in heck would amphibians be considered "seafood"?

Old 01-19-2010, 03:23 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
I would consider amphibians and reptiles to be meat.

I do eat fish and seafood once in a while, usually at restaurants. I'm just really careful about it for environmental reasons, and go by the Monterey Bay Aquarium's [URL="http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx"]Seafood Watch cards[/URL]. I probably look like a nut pulling one out in a restaurant, but I'm okay with that.

In fact, one restaurant near my old workplace got so tired of me asking what kind of salmon they had that they started including a complete description on their menu. I half-expected to see an asterisk with a note at the bottom of the page saying, "For that lady who asks every time she comes in here with her lunch buddies."

Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I think the OP means it more like a catch phrase, like "I don't eat anything with a face".

Everything breathes air in some fashion, even fish or plants.
You are absolutely right, I never wanted to start a debate of what is meat and not meat. I am sure there are a million threads like that. The thread question was very specific.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Did you mean you feel better in health, or your concience feels better?

Most amphibians (let's just say frogs, because that's the only one most people will ever eat) also "breath air", at least as adults.

If you choose meats by the "intelligence or evolutionary" level of the animal, I would put frogs around most fish, then reptiles above that. Of course, some fish are pretty smart.

Frogs would not be thoght of as a "red" meat though.

Health and conscience.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
(let's just say frogs, because that's the only one most people will ever eat)
That's why I say this is, really, a non-issue. Amphibians simply aren't in most people's diets.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
That's why I say this is, really, a non-issue. Amphibians simply aren't in most people's diets.

But for many people frogs are. Even as an American I am aware and respectful of foods that other cultures eat. I know many people personally, mainly from other cultures that eat frog legs. I don't know anyone personally that eats other amphibians, but I generalized out of respect for others that do. Nothing on CD is really an issue, at least not to me, but every valid thread started should be respected by all who participate on this forum. After 3 pages and counting I would like to say the specific question asked was worthy and not erroneous. If for nothing else it forced people to analyze the question and give valid points. While CD will never equate to reading a book, there should be some educational value to this forum and if I went to every thread started saying "this is a non issue", "its my opinion", I am quite sure I would be banned. I will say this for the second time, your original anwer to the question (you did post an actual topic related later) was disappointing coming from a moderator, but you repeat the statement which shows me at this point you still don't see anything wrong with ypur original response.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
When I've seen frog legs or gator tail on menues it has always been under "seafood" so my vote is "seafood" rather than "meat". Rarely does one see "meat" as a header on the menu; usually the category is divided into beef, pork, lamb, fowl, etc... .

Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
But for many people frogs are. Even as an American I am aware and respectful of foods that other cultures eat. I know many people personally, mainly from other cultures that eat frog legs. I don't know anyone personally that eats other amphibians, but I generalized out of respect for others that do. Nothing on CD is really an issue, at least not to me, but every valid thread started should be respected by all who participate on this forum. After 3 pages and counting I would like to say the specific question asked was worthy and not erroneous. If for nothing else it forced people to analyze the question and give valid points. While CD will never equate to reading a book, there should be some educational value to this forum and if I went to every thread started saying "this is a non issue", "its my opinion", I am quite sure I would be banned. I will say this for the second time, your original anwer to the question (you did post an actual topic related later) was disappointing coming from a moderator, but you repeat the statement which shows me at this point you still don't see anything wrong with ypur original response.
I'm also respectful of the foods eaten by other people of other cultures. But if they eat frog legs, then they're not vegetarians, and this IS the Vegetarian/Vegan forum. I'm not being disrespectful of your question, just -- once again -- pointing out that it's really not relevent to this forum.

I think this is a more appropriate question for the regular Food & Drink forum, especially since you're getting a goodly number of responses from non-vegetarians, so I'm moving the thread to that location.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-19-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Did you mean you feel better in health, or your concience feels better?

Most amphibians (let's just say frogs, because that's the only one most people will ever eat) also "breath air", at least as adults.

If you choose meats by the "intelligence or evolutionary" level of the animal, I would put frogs around most fish, then reptiles above that. Of course, some fish are pretty smart.

Frogs would not be thoght of as a "red" meat though.
Is that because they taste like chicken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink