Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times

Advertisements

With a good cut of meat light salt and pepper is enough. I discovered this when at a friends home who had high quality cuts. I had a Beverly hillbilly moment. My prior reference was only supermarket cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 PM

269 posts, read 535,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I usually grill mine, but recently I found a cooking technique for the stovetop that seems crazy but it produces an awesome steak. Works best with steaks about an inch thick.

Cook in a 225 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until temperature reaches 95 degrees for med - med-rare. Remove from the oven and sear in a hot (preferably cast iron skillet) until brown all over and to your doneness liking.

I've always heard about the searing and then baking, but this works wonderfully and you get a nice even pink interior and a nice crispy exterior.
That's the Reverse Sear and can achieve good results, however, for the best steak, it needs an open fire. And a natural wood fire at that. I use chunk mesquite (not briquettes) and it comes out oh so good.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
...Also brine brine brine...
Why would you ruin a perfectly aged cut of prime or choice beef by brining it?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM

269 posts, read 535,056 times
Seems as this has evolved into a cut of meat to use. Buy the best you can afford. The reason the steak houses steak taste so good is mostly due to the quality of meat. They are getting the USDA Prime; the good stuff. You have to go to a butcher or Costco for Prime as you won't find it at a franchise grocery store. Agree with using Rib eye as a good cut. Sea salt and pepper are all you need. If you have an option, get bone in as the bone adds flavor but also takes longer to cook. Let it get to room temp and then grill it over natural lump charcoal. Turn 90 degrees after a minute or so to get nice grill marks. Only flip the meat once. When ready, flip and get grill marks on other side. Then remove from direct heat and cook to desired doneness using indirect heat. When you remove, cover with foil and let steak rest about 8 mins or so. That way the juices will absorb back into the meat rather than drain out as soon as you cut into it. This will result in a steak where you get the full flavor of the beef rather than any marinade or other spice; just pure beef.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Unless you have a really hot grill, making steaks on the grill is not easy most people don't heat the grill hot enough. You have to be able to sear the steak really fast to create the crust so the juices don't escape.

I think the easiest way to make a good steak at home is either a hot pan or cast iron pan, heat til the pan has smoke, brush with a good high heat oil like peanut or safflower oil then sear both sides for 2.5mins and the trick is after the steak is done to cover it with foil for 5 mins on a plate. I see so many people rush their steak it ends up dry or not cooked evenly.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:55 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
a lot of good suggestions here- I learn something new everyday!

but for someone new to cooking a steak, im sure its a bit confusing

If im fairly new at cooking, i wouldn't brine a good steak, I also would not use a hanger or skirt steak, -both can be tough (skirt steak is the diaphragm and if it isn't cut right without removing membranes, it can be tough) the same with flank steak (and yes, if cut and cooked right, they are good)
also, slow cooking is good for tougher cuts- the reverse searing is good, but again, we are talking to a beginner here

keep it simple , buy a rib eye steak, "choice" grade or higher

cooking times- whether you grill or pan-fry/sear (then finish in oven)- depends on how thick the steak is and how well done you want it (rare, medium rare, medium, )

many many good videos on youtube- Gordon ramsey has a couple good videos on how to cook the perfect steak

also,,,don't get caught up in too much seasonings or marinades- the steak has a great flavor by itself- garlic salt and pepper is fine

Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Butter, salt, pepper.

Thaw the meat before you cook it, bring iron skillet or pan to a nice even hot temp.

Melt the butter in the pan slowly, so you don't burn the butter, do this while the pan is heating up slowly, then season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper. Place the steak on the melted butter. ONLY FLIP THE STEAK ONCE. Never press down on your meat, it will make it lose the juices. Use the palm of your hand (under your thumb area) to test for cooking type (rare, medium rare, well done). Just watch the sides of the steak to see the pinkness of it, at the end when you see that the outside is a nice golden brown color on both sides and the middle is pink, you can use tongs to flip the meat on the side for a few seconds to cook the ends, remember not to squeeze the meat here as it will result in less juicer steak.

Some people like to finish the steak off in the oven at the very end, maybe placing it in for 1-2 minutes or so (it's optional).

This^. Use a pan is easy and give you the best crusty steak yet juicy inside.

Season steak with salt and black pepper JUST before you cook it. Ensure pan is preheat to highest temp, you should hear sizzling music when you place steak in pan.
I stick to olive oil for classic steak, with butter you also risk undesired taste of bitterness in your steak.
Its important NOT to flip your steak more than once. When you peep the bottom side turns brown to your liking, flip over, cook the other side until desired. Time depends on thickness of steak, I use my intuition and observe its color appeal, always turn out great!
Lastly, wrap the cooked steak lightly in aluminium foil paper for couple of mins before serve to seal in the juices. Oh, choose a nice marbled Ribeye to start with

Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I need advice, I can cook chicken and pork, but darn it steak is a challenge!!! I have cooked it in the oven and in a cast iron skillet, but it never comes out THAT good. I want to make a steak worth remembering.
What grade of meat are you using?

I splurge and get the prime cut. After eating that, the select or choice that is normally sold at the grocery store is blah.

I use garlic pepper and salt for seasoning. Make sure the meat is not cold. Throw it in the pan and cook for 5 minutes or so on each side. Let it rest before eating

But, I've started grilling and that is even better.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
NEVER press down on a steak, burger, or any other type of meat while cooking. Always am perplexed by the fact that many people feel the need to press down. Also, take off meat from heat source about 1 to 2minutes away from where you want it cooked. It will keep cooking after you take it off and most meats need to rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it.

Also brine brine brine. If you really want to experiment and want to try something completely new see if you can find bone marrow and cook the steak in it. I tried a steak like that from a restaurant a few weeks ago and it was put of this world delicious. Very rich and fatty.

Try a cut like hanger or skirt steak as well. It is a very good choice for marinades and is wildly popular with guests.
I love hanger steak. It's not always that easy to find, but it's as flavorful as flank steak and as tender as loin.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I'll just add, do not use butter, because it will burn long before the pan is hot enough. You can use some butter to finish.
Buy meat at least an inch thick, or it will get over done. I am talking about the typical T-bone/Porterhouse/filet, not hanger or skirt.
I agree, a grill is best. Get it as hot as you can, sear both sides, and let the steak rest before serving. There are many ways of gauging doneness, but an instant read thermometer takes the anxiety out of it. Remove from heat 10 degrees before your desired doneness level. The meat will cook while it rests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink