Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,870,677 times

Advertisements

I will admit that I was one of those kids who grew up with Little Debbie cakes and Ramen Noodles as an after school snack and most of my adult life has been processed food and restaurant food. It just seems more convenient to run through McD's to grab a burger instead of cooking a real meal. Recently, we have been slowly trying to eat better foods, but I have noticed that you will spend alot more coin on good foods. Why? Shouldn't fruits and veggies and whole grain bread be cheaper? Is it some big conspiracy to keep some people from being healthy? We are considering buying a roto-tiller and planting our own garden. I have acres of land to plant, so I might as well give it a go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:16 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,637,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I will admit that I was one of those kids who grew up with Little Debbie cakes and Ramen Noodles as an after school snack and most of my adult life has been processed food and restaurant food. It just seems more convenient to run through McD's to grab a burger instead of cooking a real meal. Recently, we have been slowly trying to eat better foods, but I have noticed that you will spend alot more coin on good foods. Why? Shouldn't fruits and veggies and whole grain bread be cheaper? Is it some big conspiracy to keep some people from being healthy? We are considering buying a roto-tiller and planting our own garden. I have acres of land to plant, so I might as well give it a go.
Planting a vegetable garden is a fantastic idea that will not only give you a hobby, but will yield fresh, delicious produce which you won't have to buy at the store. You can have a few potted plants of herbs (thyme, oregano, mint, etc.) in a kitchen window as well so that you have these things on-hand year-round.

What are the shopping options around you? I find that near me, the large, chain grocery stores (that often claim to have the best prices) tend to charge the MOST for fruits and vegetables. I tend to go to farmers' markets, and vegetable/fruit stands to buy these items at a more reasonable price, and use the "regular" grocery store to buy most of my meat, sauces, pasta, etc.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,870,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Planting a vegetable garden is a fantastic idea that will not only give you a hobby, but will yield fresh, delicious produce which you won't have to buy at the store. You can have a few potted plants of herbs (thyme, oregano, mint, etc.) in a kitchen window as well so that you have these things on-hand year-round.

What are the shopping options around you? I find that near me, the large, chain grocery stores (that often claim to have the best prices) tend to charge the MOST for fruits and vegetables. I tend to go to farmers' markets, and vegetable/fruit stands to buy these items at a more reasonable price, and use the "regular" grocery store to buy most of my meat, sauces, pasta, etc.
We have the usual Kroger and Walmart type stores. We have a couple of farmer's markets, but they are hit and miss.

What would be a good starters garden to plant?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We have the usual Kroger and Walmart type stores. We have a couple of farmer's markets, but they are hit and miss.

What would be a good starters garden to plant?
Lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, peppers, squash, and carrots would give you a large variety of things that you'll eat on a regular basis. Also, get some little pots of thyme, mint, oregano, chives, and rosemary - these are pretty inexpensive and easy to grow and you'll never have to pay for herbs ever again.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,762,473 times
Try some broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, and green beans too! I wish I had space for a full garden.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,294,388 times
Squash and tomatoes practically grow themselves. You could probably find a local horticulture group who can give you recommendations of what to plant and when for your area.

We are so blessed here in CA with fresh produce - eating right isn't as expensive as eating wrong. For $150 I can buy all the groceries we need for at least a whole week - or one, maybe two meals at a sit down restaurant.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Try some broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, and green beans too! I wish I had space for a full garden.
Me, too! Though I enjoy living in the city, I wish I had a little plot of land; gardening is something I would really enjoy. I grew herbs on my family's terrace when I was a child and if I move to a place with a balcony or terrace I will start doing that again.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:59 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,426,094 times
Because trans fat and high fructose corn syrup is cheap.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM

252 posts, read 659,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Because trans fat and high fructose corn syrup is cheap.
This is actually part of it. Another part is that a lot of the "cheap" junk foods are housed under giant corporations that can afford to sell their product at a lower price because they sell so much of it.

Growing a garden is a great idea. Other ways to eat cheaper is to invest in a crock pot (I got a big one at savers for $6), plan your meals based on what's on sale at the stores, and learn how to cook inexpensive cuts of meat (they tend to be lower-fat). If you have the freezer room, stock up on healthier meats when a great deal comes around.Also, don't be ashamed to eat leftovers because cooking in bigger batches usually ends up being cheaper per serving. If you do grow that garden and feel really ambitious, you might want to try your hand at canning what you can't eat.

And farmers markets really can be hit or miss, depending on your growing period. I think the ones in North Dakota only last for 3 months and if it is a flood or drought year, I'm paying just as much (sometimes more) for very spindly produce. If I lived someplace like Cali though... I'd be hitting them once or twice a week because its an almost endless growing period.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,207,663 times
It's possible to eat healthy on a budget - just takes a little thought and getting into new habits.

As for what to plant in a garden, first think about what you like to eat most. Basics such as tomatoes and bell peppers are usually good, easy to grow (sometimes TOO easy!), and depending on your climate, you can even grow some in pots and bring them in when it gets cold to extend the productive season. Some things, like salad greens, you'll want to plant in succession so that it doesn't all come ripe at once, so you can always have some to hand. Collards is good because the more you pick, the more leaves it makes - I've got a plant out in the garden right now that we call Audrey III that was supposed to be an annual but it's on its third year, just survived 14 degree weather, and is about half as tall as I am now. Okra can even be grown in the front flower bed - those are some PRETTY flowers it makes (think pale yellow hibiscus with a burgundy throat).

Beans are cheap protein, good for you (I'm trying to eat some every day as part of a lowering my cholesterol plan), and there's a lot of different kinds out there for variety. For dinner tonight I had chorizo and black bean soup (I threw in some chopped up andouille because the chorizo tends to turn into broth) with cornbread - I made a pot of it and it'll feed the two of us for several meals, plus it freezes well so I'll throw a dinner or two's worth in the freezer and be able to pull it out and thaw it for dinner some busy night.

Make spaghetti with meat sauce with veggies chopped up in it (I like zucchini, but there's lots of others you can throw in). You can make a big pot of it, buying the meat on sale, and freeze part of it for some night when you need "fast food" - thaw it out, heat it up, make a pot of spaghetti and throw a salad together.

Find out what's in season in your area (your county agent's website is good for this, or your local plant nursery), and plan the vegetable portion of your meals around that. Those things will be cheaper than fruits and veggies that have to be imported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink