Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
We have them in Australia - they're basically the same as a normal frank but the size of little smokies, yet I've never seen any here in the USA.

Forget the cocktail franks...

Get some lil smokies, Sweet Baby Rays put into crock pot on low and ENJOY...!!!

Oh, and relax would ya...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Sorry Opyelie, I'm not laughing at you but at your situation and your obvious frustration. I know it VERY WELL having recently had a meltdown in Price Chopper because I couldn't believe that such simple things were not available.

I can't help you with "little boys" because I never saw them whilst I was in the States but I have to wonder at those Hebrew National ones being legit because they say BEEF and I don't recall anybody making that claim with Aussie cocktail franks.

Anyway I'd be very keen to hear how you go with this as I've been trying to gather a list of sources for Aussie foods in the US and BOY is it frustrating!

I FINALLY managed to source custard powder (who'd have thought that would be so difficult!) not that it's an Aussie brand but a Pommy one but it'll do. I think it was Bird's. AND I managed to work out what I need to buy when I want copha. Can't remember the name of it and it comes in a MONSTER tub BUT at least I can sort of fashion a chocolate crackle now.

Still haven't managed to get my hands on dessicated coconut and find that ALL the varieties I come across are moist, sweetened which I suspect will change the taste and consistency of Anzacs and Choccie Crackles BUT I did managed to get my hands on a jar of Golden Syrup!!! WOOHOOO!!

Anyway, I got a lot of "Aussie" things from Ed Hyder's Meditteranean Market in Worcester but I'm thinking that's a long way away from you, still that might be your best bet, some kind of market specializing in English or Aussie foods? I really only suggested Ed's because they do have a large stock of British foods and they might have proper baked beans and they might well deliver by post if you called them.

Have you tried the Simply Australia website? That's closer to you but I suspect you'd not get imported meat products (not that I think cocktail franks would qualify as meat ) on account of Mad Cow.

Anyway I do hope you find a reasonable substitute and if you do PLEASE post so I know for next time.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,305 times
So you did try li'l smokies, right?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Hi guys and thanks for the responses and understanding my frustration LOL

Yes, I'm using the lil smokies = ) but they're still a substitute. Part of the issue is the companies that claim on their websites to have mini or cocktail franks don't seem to manage to get their product into stores.

Moon, yeah I believe the Aussie ones are mainly pork. I do get some stuff from Simplyoz, they're here in Wa so the delivery is fast. I get dessicated coconut and copha online - flaked coconut doesn't cut it and the coconut oil here is not the same thing as copha I've found.

Every now n then I also get a 'care package' from family at home lol, but certain things like franks, dim sims and chiko rolls etc aren't feasible. I have actually made my own meat pies & sausage rolls when I was hanging out for them.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:

Yes, I'm using the lil smokies = ) but they're still a substitute. Part of the issue is the companies that claim on their websites to have mini or cocktail franks don't seem to manage to get their product into stores..
MOST STORES only carry cocktail franks from November - January as sales are generally pretty seasonal.

In the large supermarket chains, manufacturers PAY FOR shelf space. They are not gong to do that for an item that is seasonal except during the months where there is demand.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
If you're willing to order online, you can buy these:

Eurofoodmart.com | A Taste Of Europe - MEAT PRODUCTS :: COOKED SAUSAGES :: Andy's Deli Baby Veal Frankfurters 1lb (http://eurofoodmart.com/andys-deli-baby-veal-frankfurters-1lb-p31145.html - broken link)

This is the only place I have found what you describe. Bear in mind that they are located in Vermont. If you ever decide to open a west coast sister store for these folks, I'll be your first customer!

Or you can go straight to the manufacturer in IL, and see if that works better. The price is the same from either location.

WIENERS

Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post

Still haven't managed to get my hands on dessicated coconut and find that ALL the varieties I come across are moist, sweetened which I suspect will change the taste and consistency of Anzacs and Choccie Crackles
You can get unsweetened dessicated coconut at The Great North American Spice Co. (http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/20959/search/Coconut_Unsweetend_%28Desiccated%29.html?SEARCH=3& WORDS=dessicated%2Bcoconut&orig=30&PAGE=0&_ssess_= 7bbc1bbd64b4614807bd2d6f70147292 - broken link)

Enjoy

Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Yes, I'm using the lil smokies = ) but they're still a substitute. Part of the issue is the companies that claim on their websites to have mini or cocktail franks don't seem to manage to get their product into stores.

Moon, yeah I believe the Aussie ones are mainly pork. I do get some stuff from Simplyoz, they're here in Wa so the delivery is fast. I get dessicated coconut and copha online - flaked coconut doesn't cut it and the coconut oil here is not the same thing as copha I've found.

Every now n then I also get a 'care package' from family at home lol, but certain things like franks, dim sims and chiko rolls etc aren't feasible. I have actually made my own meat pies & sausage rolls when I was hanging out for them.
Well I'm pleased at least to have a bit of a run down from you about what is and isn't available Opy. I guess I'm thinking forward to future times when I'll have a mad craving for a chiko roll or a cocktail frank and won't be able to get them. Probably need to mentally prepare myself for that now I guess. But I totally understand it must be frustrating. I was only there for 9 weeks last time and wanted to do "Aussie baking" and cooking to take to Christmas functions and I guess I never anticipated it being so complicated and in some cases impossible.

I must check with MM because I left a big tub on this solid coconut stuff in the fridge and it looks just like copha. I made some of those mini Christmas pudding truffles with it. Do you know the ones I mean? They have a chocolate coating and you use the copha to help the chocolate set. Anyway they turned out great BUT I didn't get time to try using the stuff to make chocolate crackles but I will next time I'm over.
The thing is I got if from the supermarket section of Walmart which seems much easier than going online. BUT I'll ask him to check what it's called because I can't remember and if you happen across it I'd be interested to hear if it's the same stuff you've tried with no success.
Anyway good to know I can get copha and dessicated coconut online! THANKS FOR THAT!!

Sorry to take you off tangent again but with regard the care packages, your family is not having any trouble sending foodstuffs into the US? I only ask because everytime I ask at my post office they say NO FOOD.

And yes, I can see me becoming very handy in the home made meat pie and sausage roll department!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
You can get unsweetened dessicated coconut at The Great North American Spice Co. (http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/20959/search/Coconut_Unsweetend_%28Desiccated%29.html?SEARCH=3& WORDS=dessicated%2Bcoconut&orig=30&PAGE=0&_ssess_= 7bbc1bbd64b4614807bd2d6f70147292 - broken link)

Enjoy

THANK YOU!!! And he probably doesn't even know it yet but MM thanks you too on account NOW I can make his favorite Lamingtons from scratch anytime he likes!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:07 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Moon - Erm - the trick is to not ASK - they'll always say NO lol - you're not supposed to send stuff like codral through the mails either......but the OTC cough & cold stuff here sucks and does nothing. I wouldn't send anything dicey through the mail - but mum did send some stuff like cup a soup flavours I couldn't get here etc etc. Usually for heavier items like vegemite in the jars etc it's best to get it online shipped in USA or forget it - the shipping from Oz is prohibitive - sigh

I still haven't gotten used to the orange cheese though - I pretty much only use Tillamook NY white cheddar in the processed cheese line (it's kinda like Coon) and wouldn't use "american cheese" in a purple fit LOL

Dont - I checked out that site & bookmarked the manufacturer - that looks promising - they even have Cabanossi (though they spell it differently lol) - thanks (they look like skinless franks - and not sure about the veal part) I'll check them out later.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Moon - Erm - the trick is to not ASK - they'll always say NO lol - you're not supposed to send stuff like codral through the mails either......but the OTC cough & cold stuff here sucks and does nothing. I wouldn't send anything dicey through the mail - but mum did send some stuff like cup a soup flavours I couldn't get here etc etc. Usually for heavier items like vegemite in the jars etc it's best to get it online shipped in USA or forget it - the shipping from Oz is prohibitive - sigh
Yeah trouble is they know me now and I stupidly asked about sending Golden Syrup the first time I went in (worried about it being a liquid) with that AND a whole bunch of other stuff and ended up having to take out the lot. And because it's a small place now they take a BIG interest in me and what I'm sending. BUT maybe I could go to one of the bigger POs with the stuff all ready to go and see if I can sneak some Tim Tam Crush through to MM?

I guess that means you've not had the new Vegemite & Cream Cheese CheesyBite yet? ANYWAY I'm probably going to be back out there in August SO if there's anything you can't get that is prohibitive to post I could squish it in my suitcase and then post it to you when I get to Ma.
Well you know, if you're desperate.

Quote:
I still haven't gotten used to the orange cheese though - I pretty much only use Tillamook NY white cheddar in the processed cheese line (it's kinda like Coon) and wouldn't use "american cheese" in a purple fit LOL
Yeah, I had some truly mind boggling conversations with poor, unsuspecting New Englanders whilst at the dairy cabinet.
I can't stomach the idea of the orange cheese either, unless it's a Macca's Quarter Pounder and that's a pretty rare occurance.
I ended up buying Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar and it was as good as Coon but boy it was a nerve wracking experience taking the first bite!
I'll keep an eye out for Tillamook next time!

I did see Cracker Barrel in the cheese section. It was the ONLY brand I recognized but I was wary about the flavour being the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink