Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,137,757 times

Advertisements

The pork snouts and lips are gross- but I love scrapple, which uses them and other pork "offal". (awful!)

Offal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,966,159 times
Cool That does it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not for the faint of heart ... and not just because of the cholesterol.

Pork Brains in Milk Gravy
I love gravy...but the Pork brains are just tooo much..
Jesh...I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THE STUFF THAT IS STUFFED INTO A CAN
AND PEOPLE EAT IT..

BUT if I was starving and in a situation where I had no other option
then open it up and dig in....would go great with some cheap wine.

HW ...I think Andrew Zimmern should try some of this stuff.

New program for Andrew..."WHAT'S IN THE CAN"

Old 02-12-2010, 05:01 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,137,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not for the faint of heart ... and not just because of the cholesterol.

Pork Brains in Milk Gravy
Great link. The comments after each picture are hilarious. It appears that there is a video of someone eating pork brains, but I couldn't bring myself to click on it.

The poster even wrote Armour a letter asking why the milk gravy- but no mention of having received a response.

I am also wondering why the milk gravy. So, I wrote Armour (I couldn’t find Rose’s website):

Hi! I was wondering why your pork brains, and indeed all the brands of pork brains I have ever seen, are packed in milk gravy. Is it for taste or does the milk act as a preservative?
Thanks!
Tracy

Old 02-12-2010, 05:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,329,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
And I thought I was going to win with Canned Grapefruit Juice, until I saw that poor jellied Chicken.

But now if things in glass jars count as 'canned' (and people doing home-canning use glass jars), then a certain brand of Gefilte Fish, while second in visual hideousness to Sweet Sue's Chicken, probably tastes worse. This brand is extra-Kosher, because it's made in Israel (by hostile Palestinians, from the taste of it), and has so much flavor enhancer that two bites make me dizzy. Anyway, it has the same jellied coating that makes Sweet Sue's Chicken such a visual treat (we rinse off the fish, to get rid of as much sugary jelly as possible).

And in the non-Kosher category (about as un-Kosher as you can get), I'd nominate PICKLED PIG LIPS, in giant glass jars, from Winn Dixie. I was in Louisiana for the day, and turned the corner in the grocery, and there they were. A whole huge shelf filled with giant jars of the things. They were white, and floating in a pink liquid (bloody brine?)...each jar containing enough of them to feed a large gathering. Can't tell you about the taste, though. Obviously, that's not gonna happen....
OH MY, I think I am going to spew..........................ready to gag!!! Jellied chicken???

Sardines when you open up the can and they are all lined up like little soldiers............ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,312,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Potted meat! I mean...what the hell is that crap anyway?
I was reading the whole thread holding on to potted meat. Ha. My grandmother tried to feed me it as a child. Looks, smells, and maybe tastes like dog food. I wouldn't taste either one. Also, Hormel's canned chilli...gross.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,554,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX_GUY View Post
Pickled Pork Snouts
Pickled pig snout ... because sometimes you want a pig snout RIGHT AWAY.

You're sitting at home, feeling that familiar gnawing in the pit of your stomach. You need a snack. A little nosh. What'll it be? Something yummy that will really hit the spot. You know what would be perfect? A bowl of pig snouts. They're so good and chewy, plus it's fun to stick your tongue in the nostrils as you're working them in your back teeth. But where are you going to get a bunch of pig nostrils right now? It's not like you can go butcher a bunch of pigs this very minute. You have stuff to do. But wait! Momma picked up a jar of Dietrich's Fine Country Pickled Pig Snouts at the store last week, and they are just waiting for you to tuck in and enjoy. Open 'er up! Get a whiff and chow down.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:53 PM

16,945 posts, read 16,183,044 times
And if you look at the jar, you'll see that one of the snouts has a mole on it.....

Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,912,186 times
Talk about a train wreck thread. Mine is tame, tinned 'ready meals' usually steak/sausages and vegetables. I used to love it as a kid but would have to be starving to eat it now.
And it doesn't compare to that pale rubbery pinkness of pig snout. Where's Martha Stewart? 100 Ways with Pig Snout and Jellied Chicken.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,115,246 times
That canned chicken wins, but that thing with the teeth certainly comes in a close second. And to think, I was going to say canned cranberry sauce, the kind that is just one big blob that comes out looking exactly like the can it was in... wow.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,281,421 times
What about pickled pig's feet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink