Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Truffles

Same here and it has nothing to do with being opposed to them - it comes down to $$$$.

Are they really that tasty? Or is it yet another status symbol food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
Conch fritters because they look so good and if I am not mistaken they are a delicacy and taste delicious. I would not be opposed to trying snails (escargot)
Conch and escargot are delicious!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Conch and escargot are delicious!
Indeed!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
I spent a lot of time in Jamaica. We had conch fritters, conch soup and conch stew on a regular basis. We used to take the boat our and dive for conch. Free food, and it was incredible!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I spent a lot of time in Jamaica. We had conch fritters, conch soup and conch stew on a regular basis. We used to take the boat our and dive for conch. Free food, and it was incredible!
All this conch talk got me to thinking. I had no problem with it cooked in things, until I saw the live ones along the road in the Caribbean. Picture a great big penis poking out of a big shell, and that's what a conch looks like. No thanks.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Name a food/drink you've never had before.

I've never ate a Sausage or drank Coffee.
What planet are you on? How come you haven't had these mainstream things?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
a whole dried octopus in a bag that I saw at an Asian market.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Corned beef and pastrami. I worked in a deli in college and just the smell of it made me never want to taste it. So I have never had a reuben and never will!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Belut, never had it, never want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Rocky Mountain oysters
Geoduck
Chitlins
Chicken feet
Cow's feet
Poi
Rutabagas
Durians
Red Bull
I have to admit I have had most of those.

The nuts are one of my favs.

You can make great chicken stock with chicken feet.

Poi is very tasty. Ate lots of it while I was living in HI.

I love durian, but unfortunately the variety we can get here in the states are totally unacceptable. Bland and just plain blah. You have to go to Malaysia or that vicinity to get the real deal.

Chitlins are nasty, it may be an aquired taste, if so its one taste I will never aquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you're not missing anything. The name says it all - grits!

Something I've never eaten but would like to try is rattlesnake.
Grits are great when done properly (not quick grits) with some cheese, garlic and shrimp.

We have a rattlesnake roundup in a small town west of here every year. They serve up lots of fried rattlesnake. It may sound cliche but it tastes like really good chicken thigh meat. Very bony, not much meat.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
I've never tried:

Frog legs
Any insect
Pickled meat products (lips, feet, whatever), though I have tried pickled fish products
Those weird pickled eggs in old school dive bars
Sea urchins
Geoduck
Conch

I would try the last three if I had a chance too, but frog legs I couldn't do, mainly because as a kid in the summer I used to catch tiger frogs and fashion habitats for them with a baby pool, different sized rocks, and things to float on or get shade from like plastic coffee can lids. I've had almost every fruit and vegetable I can think of that you can get in a well-stocked U.S. grocery or specialty shop. I'll pretty much at least take a bite of most things at least once like lengua (beef tongue), except organ meats, though I have tried liver and have eaten dressing made with giblets even through I tried picking around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink