U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,769,650 times

Advertisements

I go out in my front yard and prune one of my rosemary bushes :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:13 AM

16,322 posts, read 12,611,627 times
What a great surprise to get up this morning and find all these superb ideas for cooking chicken, easy style!
There's not-a-one that I wouldn't like....and now I will start trying them out. I very much appreciate you folks helping me out!
~rainroosty~

Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 AM

1,336 posts, read 2,701,492 times
Old Bay on baked chicken is really good. Simple, but good.

Also, try marinating in Italian dressing the night before, or any vinegrette.

If you're more adventurouse, go to the international aisle at your grocery store and get some tandoori sauce (Patak's is a good brand) which is an Indian flavor. Mix it with PLAIN yogurt (not vanilla, or any other flavor, PLAIN) and marinate over night, then bake with that on it. Awesome!

And if you can do a whole chicken, then google "beer can chicken", it's great. Just be sure to grease the can before it goes into the.... ....can. ;-)

Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 AM

21,338 posts, read 7,364,780 times
For many years, I always patted my chicken pieces with little pieces of butter, then shook salt, pepper, and garlic powder on them before roasting. Then it became unhealthy to have chicken with skin, so I went years without eating it. Now I do enjoy it again, but in moderation... but what I do now is spray the pieces with butter flavored cooking spray such as Pam. Then add the spices listed above. Sometimes I'll add italian seasonings or fresh rosemary.

Re beer can chicken... I've never greased the can and I've never had a problem getting the can out. lol Again, I've learned to spray the whole chicken, shake the spices on, and then put onto the can.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,301,119 times
Instead of just plain old salt and pepper, we like Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt with pepper and seasonings. We also add some paprika, and often some kind of marinade like Italian dressing, or Drew's Roasted Garlic and Peppercorn dressing and marinade. Any kind of salad dressing or marinade you like could be put on the chicken, and you can add various seasonings, herbs, mustards, honey, etc. We usually grill our chicken, but I'm sure this would work fine in the oven too, seeing as how you've gotten similar suggestions.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:13 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,620,586 times
My mom made this recipe that was on the side of the Bisquick box when I was a teen and it was sooo delicious.

Oven Fried Chicken

1 tbsp. butter
2/3 c. Bisquick
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cut up frying chicken

Melt butter in rectangular pan 13 x 9 x 2, in oven. Mix Bisquick, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat chicken. Place skin sides down in pan. Bake 35 minutes. Turn chicken, bake about 15 minutes or until done. Makes 6 servings.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:41 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,468,056 times
Good recipes. I always figure you can adjust them with any combination of--as the song goes--parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Cumin and chili powder is another classic combo for Latin flavor, roughly equal amounts. A little lemon zest in the spice rub works too, or a trick is to rub your raw chicken with a sliced lemon for both flavor and as an additional antiseptic. For arroz con pollo I mash a couple of roasted garlic cloves with the salt and seasonings and smear the chicken with it underneath the skin, marinating overnight. Buttermilk makes the best marinade. It infuses the flesh with a tang.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:14 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,769,650 times
rainroosty, have you ever tried Sticky Chicken? It's perfect for cold days and you don't mind the warmth of the oven (that's the only time I can make it - in the winter)

Slow Roasted Sticky Chicken
Recipe By : Floating on the Internet for years :-)
1 tsp salt -- up to 2 (original was 4 t.)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- *note
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 lbs roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion
8 ozs chicken broth or water, sometimes more --**note

In a small bowl, combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity and pat dry. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. (I have done this recipe without waiting overnight, but I like it better using the overnight method)

When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in a shallow baking pan. Pour broth in bottom of pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 degrees F for 5 hours (yes, 250 degrees for 5 hours). After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving. Usually you don't carve it - if falls apart. Ohhh, the skin is delicious!

*Can substitute habanero powder or chipotle powder or chili powder. Chili powder is the least spicy.
**I use ice cubes of chicken broth made from the last chicken, and let them melt. I throw more in as time progresses, since I like the 'stuff' on the bottom of the pan.

If your oven is big enough, make 2. I freeze the meat of the 2nd one to use in salads, etc. Have never tried this with pieced chicken - only whole. But when my market has whole chickens at 49 cents a pound, I buy at least 5 ... :-)

Last edited by Gandalara; 02-20-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 02:07 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,610,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
rainroosty, have you ever tried Sticky Chicken? It's perfect for cold days and you don't mind the warmth of the oven (that's the only time I can make it - in the winter)

Slow Roasted Sticky Chicken
Recipe By : Floating on the Internet for years :-)
1 tsp salt -- up to 2 (original was 4 t.)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- *note
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 lbs roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion
8 ozs chicken broth or water, sometimes more --**note

In a small bowl, combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity and pat dry. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. (I have done this recipe without waiting overnight, but I like it better using the overnight method)

When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in a shallow baking pan. Pour broth in bottom of pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 degrees F for 5 hours (yes, 250 degrees for 5 hours). After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving. Usually you don't carve it - if falls apart. Ohhh, the skin is delicious!

*Can substitute habanero powder or chipotle powder or chili powder. Chili powder is the least spicy.
**I use ice cubes of chicken broth made from the last chicken, and let them melt. I throw more in as time progresses, since I like the 'stuff' on the bottom of the pan.

If your oven is big enough, make 2. I freeze the meat of the 2nd one to use in salads, etc. Have never tried this with pieced chicken - only whole. But when my market has whole chickens at 49 cents a pound, I buy at least 5 ... :-)
thank you, thank you, thank you.....
this sounds so delicious and easy to do...
i will try this on monday...i'm off that day...
what do you usually make to go with it...???
again, thank you...

Old 02-20-2010, 02:32 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,589,262 times
Quote:
If you're more adventurouse, go to the international aisle at your grocery store and get some tandoori sauce (Patak's is a good brand) which is an Indian flavor. Mix it with PLAIN yogurt (not vanilla, or any other flavor, PLAIN) and marinate over night, then bake with that on it. Awesome!
Oh yes!

Yogurt marinated chicken is amazingly tasty. I usually mix some yogurt with some salt, cumin, red pepper, and minced garlic and marinate my chicken in that for a few hours. Then, I bake it. I've never tried it with tandoori sauce mixed in but it sounds like a winner to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or